Sideways cabin on Norwegian Dawn

cruiserssandr

We are getting ready to book a Feb 10, 2013 on the Norwegian Dawn. Since this is our third cruise in just under a year we decided to cut down our costs and book and inside cabin. Have had many inside cabins before and really don't think it is a problem. It sure beats staying home! Right now we are looking at a sideways cabin on Deck 10. Anyone have any experience with these? How does that layout work out. Does it really feel any different?:confused:

After two bad experiences with balcony staterooms (noisy neighbors), we decided to go with an inside cabin and chose a sideways cabin. We LOVED it. As mentioned above, there is no hallway as you enter, so the cabin appears bigger and you are not in each other's way if one has to use the bathroom and the other is trying to get into the closet. The bathroom is most definitely bigger in this configuration. We always look for a sideways inside cabin when we cruise.

Just adding two cents. We have been in cabin 8082 on the Dawn and loved the sideways configuration. It definitely feels larger than a conventional cabin. Upon entering you can go left or right as opposed to only being able to move forward into room. Go for it!

They are great and everything everyone has said so far I agree with. I always feel like I need to add this disclaimer though for anyone who is a light sleeper. There is definitely more hallway noise in these rooms simply for the fact that the bed area is right up against the wall separating the hallway from the room.

They are great and everything everyone has said so far I agree with. I always feel like I need to add this disclaimer though for anyone who is a light sleeper. There is definitely more hallway noise in these rooms simply for the fact that the bed area is right up against the wall separating the hallway from the room.

I guess it is a different layout on different ships. With ours on the Sun, the bed was on the opposite wall, i.e. looking out to the hallway.

I'm now booked in a sideways obstructed oceanview on the Pearl. It's also an ADA-accessible cabin, so I'm expecting it to be huge! :cool: I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

We were assigned one of those for our cruise next week on the Gem. It should be interesting.

Without the little hall, if the door is open can passersby just see into your cabin? I kind of liked being able to "hide" in bed & not be seen when DH answered the door for breakfast room service.

I guess it is a different layout on different ships. With ours on the Sun, the bed was on the opposite wall, i.e. looking out to the hallway.

I meant more that the "living area" is right next to hallway as opposed to the closet and bathroom being closest to the hallway

We aren't crazy about the sideways cabin. Someone asked if you can see directly into the room when the door is opened and the answer is yes. That is what we don't care for I guess. The room does feel a bit larger but as already mentioned you do hear more hallway noise with the bed being right along the corridor.

Boo. I was afraid of that.

Oh well. We'll just have to make the best of it.

It is not that big of a deal. Just go in the bathroom or the little area next to the bathroom where the closets are. How many times will the door be open anyway? It is a great room. Didn't have an issue with privacy.

It is a great room. Didn't have an issue with privacy.

Agree, had one on the Gem, if you get over walking in with the bed right there it does feel bigger. Worked great with me over by the closet and wife exiting from shower, bummped into each other less.

Did not have issue with hall noise and ship traveled in direction of my head when lying down and rocked side to side to sleep >G<

• 4 months later...
Did not have issue with hall noise and ship traveled in direction of my head when lying down and rocked side to side to sleep >G<

Can someone please clarify the floorplan of a "sideways" room? I understand the exterior; i.e. the door opens into a cross-hallway instead of a long main hallway.

But, where is the head and foot of the bed? Isn't every bed on a ship "sideways"?

We were in the sideways inside cabin #12039 on the Dawn. It's in the new deck 12 block so the bathroom and furnishings are new.

As you enter the room, the bed is on your right ...

8847002030_d4e7676884_c.jpg

The front door is on the right ...

8846383741_cf4fbc3e30_c.jpg

Looking left ...

8846383081_91486fa4a6_c.jpg

The front door is off the picture on the left ...

8846383013_9831e317a7_c.jpg

8846383159_05f256aa57_c.jpg

We had a sideways obstructed view cabin on the Jewel last summer. I preferred the layout over the "normal" OV since we could actually access the window without standing on the bed!

The entrance was at the foot of the bed, the bed was to the right. As you can see, we used the window ledge for extra storage. Our view was obstructed but not enough to make it a deal breaker. We've booked the same category for a 34 day cruise next year.

328557755_JewelAugust2012002.jpg.06d3f8265ebbda204deb87cddefbe786.jpg

• Thanks 1

We had a sideways obstructed view cabin on the Jewel last summer. I preferred the layout over the "normal" OV since we could actually access the window without standing on the bed!

The entrance was at the foot of the bed, the bed was to the right. As you can see, we used the window ledge for extra storage. Our view was obstructed but not enough to make it a deal breaker. We've booked the same category for a 34 day cruise next year.

Are these the large sideways cabins near the aft stairs? Did you hear very much running in the hallways due to the offset? Thanks!