GSC stingray city or wave runner?

motleyfan

I wonder if there's enough time to do both

There is enough time to do both but you may not have too much time to enjoy the beach and the water. Book the wave runner for the morning and the stingrays for after lunch around 2pm.

You're saying the sandbar stingrays have their barbs? That would be the ones I'd want to stay away from

I just don't like the idea of penned up rays with barbs removed, but that's just me.

There are different types of rays. The one which killed Steve Irwin was a huge one and he approached it from the rear and grabbed on for a ride on its back. The Ray was startled and flipped it's tail ( with barb ) up into his chest. More of a freak accident than the ray trying to harm him.

The Sand Bar Rays are pretty small. The sandbar is about knee or thigh deep so you feel very comfortable in the water. The fishing boats used to stop here to clean their catch and the Rays became accustomed to coming there to feed. Now the tours bring the food, and you get to hand it out. They do eat out of your hands and you can stroke and pet them as much as you want, they don't mind at all. You just need to be mindful of where you place your hands and to not step backwards as they are all anxious to get a turn. The guides help you hold one up by the wings in front of you and they take a picture you can purchase.

It is not often that you get the chance to interact with wild creatures in their own habitat rather than in a pen or enclosure in captivity. I hope you get the chance to do this someday.

I just don't like the idea of penned up rays with barbs removed, but that's just me.

There are different types of rays. The one which killed Steve Irwin was a huge one and he approached it from the rear and grabbed on for a ride on its back. The Ray was startled and flipped it's tail ( with barb ) up into his chest. More of a freak accident than the ray trying to harm him.

The Sand Bar Rays are pretty small. The sandbar is about knee or thigh deep so you feel very comfortable in the water. The fishing boats used to stop here to clean their catch and the Rays became accustomed to coming there to feed. Now the tours bring the food, and you get to hand it out. They do eat out of your hands and you can stroke and pet them as much as you want, they don't mind at all. You just need to be mindful of where you place your hands and to not step backwards as they are all anxious to get a turn. The guides help you hold one up by the wings in front of you and they take a picture you can purchase.

It is not often that you get the chance to interact with wild creatures in their own habitat rather than in a pen or enclosure in captivity. I hope you get the chance to do this someday.

Not sure if the sand bar and Sting Ray City are the same. We did Sting Ray City and the sting rays are huge. My son was scared to death and wouldn't go in the water. The water was neck high where we anchored. I have to say it was a little unnerving getting off the boat with them all around. I was afraid of the barbs as well. Once in and I was able to get to where it was about chest high, I felt a lot better.

I just did Sting Ray City this past Wednesday, and it was AMAZING! I highly suggest it. Yes, they do have barbs, but don't pull their tails, remember to do the "stingray shuffle" when you move through the pen, and don't shove your fingers in their nostrils and you'll be fine. Think of them more as water cats. They want to be fed, petted, and called pretty. They're all female too, because the males want nothing to do with the program.