Good News... We Received Our Passports Today!!!

Noillid2

My wife and I applied for our passports on August 13th, which we thought was plenty of time for processing before our cruise on January 21st. Then Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf Coast. Passports were the farthest from our minds because we were very concerned with everyone's welfare from that area. Then we received a postcard from the U.S. Department of State stating the following:

Dear Passport Customer:

Our records show that you recently applied for a passport. Due to

disruptions caused by Hurricane Katrina, our processing time might be

slower than usual. If you are planning to travel within the next six

weeks, please contact the National Passport Information Center (NPIC) at

1-877-487-2778 or email NPIC via travel.state.gov. Customer Service

Representatives are available from 7 a.m. to midnight, Eastern Time,

Monday-Friday, excluding Federal holidays. If you are leaving in more

than 6 weeks, please visit travel.state.gov for current information.

Thank you for your assistance during this challenging time.

U.S. Department of State

Bureau of Consular Affairs

Passport Services

Then we learned from the informative members of these Cruise Critic boards that the office, which handles the processing of passports, was located in New Orleans. We also learned they moved all the documents to South Carolina after the hurricane. We were glad we applied early just in case we had to get new birth certificates and re-apply for our passports. We decided to just wait and see what happened. Well, we didn't have to wait very long because today we received our passorts and birth certificates. Their processing didn't even take 6 weeks! Many thanks go to the The U.S. Department of State for going above and beyond!!! They did an excellent job despite the weather conditions! I hope eveyone, who applied recently, is as fortunate.

Our prayers are still with everyone in the Gulf Coast!

Congats on getting your passports.

We are applying for ours too. We wanted to a few weeks ago, but I discovered the DH's birth certificate, was just the hospital issue when we went to apply. So, I had to request one from the state of California. I got it today...but stamped on the front of it in big red letters is 'INFORMATIONAL ONLY, NOT TO BE USED FOR IDENTIFYING PURPOSES'....What? Then on the bottom it says 'Certified Copy'.....So, Can I use this or not???? I guess I'll have to go to the Passport office and see....

I don't think we'll have them by the time we leave in November, good thing they are not required yet!

:) an " informational copy" cannot be used as proof of identity. the state of californai offers 2 different birth certifiactes. my sone recently applied for his passport, and he was born in california. so we have just gone through this. you need to obtain the other one.

Thanks so much for posting this update! We applied for our passports on 8/8 and 8/15 and got the same postcards from the State Department about the issue in New Orleans. Like you, we decided to sit tight and let them have some time. Goodness knows everyone in New Orleans is facing an insurmountable task. It's great to know it paid off for you. My fingers are crossed...

Cheryl

:) an " informational copy" cannot be used as proof of identity. the state of californai offers 2 different birth certifiactes. my sone recently applied for his passport, and he was born in california. so we have just gone through this. you need to obtain the other one.

Great. It took forever to get this one!

I guess I'll have to figure out which one I need. I don't remember seeing a choice, but obviously there was one. I guess that was $22 down the drain. What good is the informational copy????

My DH applied for a passport on August 26th. He received a letter stating he needed new photos (ones sent showed too much glare from his eyeglasses). Had pics re-taken, mailed them back and received his passport 5 days later!

All and all took 3 weeks or so...WOW!!

Iamthesea - You might want to send an email to the Passport folks - I sent for mine 8/4 and received it 9/8. I had had a moment of panic because sometime Long Island apps are sent to New Orleans. There is a place on the government passaport webpage (I don't recall it off-hand) for you to inquire as to the status of your passport.

Are you positive they would not have been routed through N.O.?

For those who have recently gotten them - is your photo really dark? I see that they actually scan them into the computer and print it ont the form (as opposed to sealing the photo onto the page). And just to see what would happen, I did NOT sign mine (I wanted to see if anyone actually looks at these things). Used it for ID at the airport this past week - at least 8 people looked at it - not one said anything about signing the book.....

My friend and I applied for our passports on August 18, my only copy of my birth certificate went with the application. I was born in Louisiana and the vital

records office is closed until further notice. I live in Tennessee. I am glad to see people in the same time frame of applying for passports are getting theirs.

I am still pretty worried though. We sail in 40 days. My friend has a copy of

her birth certificate but I don't, this is what has me worried with no way of getting another copy.:confused:

A worried Countrymoon

Copies of passport are not taken as proof. How was I to know that

my application would be sent to New Orleans and there would be a hurricane?

Believe me, I am in agony over this. I do not want anything to interfer with my first cruise. My friend has another original of her birth certificate, she could still go. But I am the one that talked her into taking a cruise. Oh, Gloom dispare

and agony on me. LOL

I make a copy of everything and made sure my parents did before sending off all their info.

I read on another board where exceptions are being made because of the Katrina disaster. Remember, it's only been a little over two years since a birth certificate copy was accepted.

I have copies of our Passport and take them with us when we travel. You never know when the original may be lost or stolen. A copy is better than nothing when you don't have the original. All the authorities need is the number on a passport. Everything is on the computer. Do you know your passport number?

Call the cruiseline for answers if your date gets closer without your passport.

Hey, Sorry I took so long...been at church.

It may have been Carnival (because of all the trouble they have had with the hurricane, chartering the ships out to FEMA, etc.) however, I also frequent Celebrity, HAL and Princess. It's been within the last week and a half, though. Seems that someone called the cruiseline after they got the notice that their records were sent elsewhere from NO. They had a cruise coming up very soon.

I make a copy of everything and made sure my parents did before sending off all their info.

I read on another board where exceptions are being made because of the Katrina disaster. Remember, it's only been a little over two years since a birth certificate copy was accepted.

I have copies of our Passport and take them with us when we travel. You never know when the original may be lost or stolen. A copy is better than nothing when you don't have the original. All the authorities need is the number on a passport. Everything is on the computer. Do you know your passport number?

Call the cruiseline for answers if your date gets closer without your passport.

Iamthesea, Thanks for the suggestion of having copies of our passports. I would never thought of that. Matter of fact, we did the same thing that "countrymoon" did: we sent our Birth Certificates with our Passport Application and didn't have copies of them. We felt that if they got lost or destoyed, we would just go to the records office and get new ones. We would have never thought a natural disaster would have prevented us from doing this. This definitely changes my thinking. I will make copies: one to leave at home and one to take with us on the cruise. I know full well they're not official, but a copy is better than nothing.

countrymoon, You should call the U.S. Department of State at the number on my postcard 1-877-487-2778. One of the ladies of our group was getting worried because the rest of us have been receiving our passports and she hasn't. She applied 2 weeks before the rest of us. She called the U.S. Department of State today and they told her that she would receive her passport and birth certificate either late next week or early the next week. It definitely put her mind at ease. Let us know what you find out.

Noillid2 - Thanks for your suggestion, I will call as soon as I get rid of my

(just woke up voice.) This whole deal with the passports has been

frustrating. I know there are others close to us (NO) that could care less about their passports right now. It is just that this cruise has been a long time coming and I had hoped it would be therapy for me from a really rough 2005 personally. Thanks again.

:) Countrymoon

Just called about my passport, it was processed 9/18 and mailed out on 9/19. Great Day!!!!!!! Thanks for your help!
countrymoon, That's excellent news! :D :D :D Now you can put your mind at ease and enjoy a wonderful cruise. :) One more suggestion: do like Iamthesea suggested and make a couple copies of your Birth Certificate and Passport (one for home and one to take with you). Even though they're unofficial, something's better than nothing! Thanks for letting everyone know what you found out.

Tom...

Archived