Glacier Bay announcements - can you hear from balcony?

CruisingGiants

When entering Glacier Bay I've read the rangers first make announcements based on what you're looking at on the port side of the ship. I was wondering if you could hear those announcements from your balcony? I know the ideal place to be is up on deck, but we'll be traveling with a toddler who may need to be in the room at some point during our day there. We're on the NCL Jewel if that helps.

Thanks!

I don't know about NCL....

On my recent Princess "Voyage of the Glaciers" the naturalist was on one of the TV channels, also. I could sit on the balcony and listen to the commentary.

You would have to have the balcony door open. (which is discouraged)

For clarification, my above post- is only for outside.

My experience with both Princess and Celebrity is that it is broadcast on the TV in your cabin. BQ is quite correct about leaving the balcony door open but having it open for a few hours in Alaska is quite different then leaving it open in the Caribbean or other hot environments where an open door has a huge impact on the HVAC.

We were on a different NCL ship, but I can confirm that the commentary was shown on one of the TV channels. As for the balcony door, our Cruise Director actually suggested sitting out on the balcony with the door open as one of the viewing options for Glacier Bay day. On our trip at least, it certainly wasn't discouraged.

Many people say that it's far better to be on deck so that you're more mobile, but I'm pretty short and not terribly aggressive, so I had a hard time seeing around everyone else when we tried going out there. You may have better luck there.

On our trip at least, it certainly wasn't discouraged.

Many people say that it's far better to be on deck so that you're more mobile, but I'm pretty short and not terribly aggressive, so I had a hard time seeing around everyone else when we tried going out there. You may have better luck there.

the balcony door "discouraged" comment is dependent on the heating/cooling system, nothing to do with the Cruise Director.

I have never run into any crowds on the lower promenade decks. It's the upper decks that are usually wall to wall, sometimes bow decks as well, but they have the advantage of people not able to find them. :) Where were you outside? If on the Sun- the forward front deck, in front of the lounge- is always jammed.