Soft Drinks - carry on ?

Tom-n-Cheryl

I understand that some policy change was recently implemented concerning water and soft drinks.

I've embraced the bottled water change. In the past we've brought along a case of water. Cost was roughly $4 for 24. Now I just ordered two 12-pks for $2.99 each. So, $6 for a $4 case seems very reasonable - and we don't have to lug it!

However, the soft drinks are a different matter in my opinion. We always order a bottle of vodka for the cabin for afternoon or pre-dinner drink mixing. On a couple of other cruise lines (Celebrity for sure) such a purchase includes a few mixers - Sprite, OJ, etc depending on your preferences.

So, I guess on Carnival we're supposed to either just do shots of vodka - or go to a bar and purchase soda... or get some through Bon Voyage, at the rate of $10 per 6-pk.

Why are they being so reasonable with water, but employing a solid gouge on soft drinks? It's not like I'm not already taking one on the chin for the vodka, but they come back with a left hook for the mixers... which they leave out of the alcohol purchase.

SO... anyone have recent experience with soft drinks (either carry-on or packed in suitcases) since the new rules went into effect?

Seems to me it's worth it to try and get some on (yes, smuggle!) and risk losing it, and if you do lose it - nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I will add that we stopped smuggling alcohol a few years back. It's not that we were not successful a vast majority of the time (Rum Runners), it's that I did not like the stress of waiting to see if I "won a trip" to the naughty room!

Tom

You can still bring a "reasonable" amount of soft drinks "in cans" in your carry-on luggage so I think that's fair.

That is reasonable - though I was not aware of that.

I'm sure this discussion has occurred previously, but is it cans to prevent smugglers from trying to fill bottles with alcohol ?

I can live with that, though my preferred soft drink would be in a resealable bottle, to prevent spills and hold some fiz for later.

Thanks for the info !

Tom

That is reasonable - though I was not aware of that.

I'm sure this discussion has occurred previously, but is it cans to prevent smugglers from trying to fill bottles with alcohol ?

I can live with that, though my preferred soft drink would be in a resealable bottle, to prevent spills and hold some fiz for later.

Thanks for the info !

Tom

Guess you could take leftover canned soda and put it into a reusable plastic water bottle.