return to POA at Maui timing question

lawgator

We are renting a car our second day in Maui. We have booked a (refundable up to 48 hours before the excursion) whale watching excursion in Ma'alaea with the Pacific Whale Foundation that departs at 12:30pm and is scheduled for about 2 hours. We then would have to drive back to the airport and return the rental car (about a 35 minute drive) and then get dropped by the car rental company to the ship. The ship leaves at 6pm. I figure we should get back to the ship by 4pm at the latest. Are we supposed to be back 2 hours before departure? Any opinions as to whether we are allowing enough time for this? Thank you.

We are renting a car our second day in Maui. We have booked a (refundable up to 48 hours before the excursion) whale watching excursion in Ma'alaea with the Pacific Whale Foundation that departs at 12:30pm and is scheduled for about 2 hours. We then would have to drive back to the airport and return the rental car (about a 35 minute drive) and then get dropped by the car rental company to the ship. The ship leaves at 6pm. I figure we should get back to the ship by 4pm at the latest. Are we supposed to be back 2 hours before departure? Any opinions as to whether we are allowing enough time for this? Thank you.

The 2 hours is only for embarkation day. At the other ports you need to be on board 1/2 hour before sail away. When you disembark at the port there will be a sign that tells you the time you need to be back on board.

I always aim for 1 hour before sail away to make sure I am there on time.

Edited by pizzalady1

You should be fine. We took a PWF whale watch tour from the same location. It is an easy drive. Everyone seemed to be returning their rental car at the same time so the bus back to the ship was full, but no real long delays.

It will be hot on the water at 12:30. You may want to ask PWF if you can get on a waiting list for an earlier tour.