Lisbon with a toddler and the oceanarium

Hi

We will be stopping in Lisbon on a cruise in October. We will have our daughter, who is nearly 2, in tow.

I've done some research and I think we'll take the ship transport to centre (praco de comercio I think) and spend some time in that area in the morning. Around lunchtime/early pm we'd like to visit the oceanarium.

What would be the best way to get to the oceanarium (baring in mind we'll have a buggy with us and usually piles of stuff)?

What would be the best way to get back to the ship from the oceanarium?

Any other suggestions for easy attractions with a toddler?

We are looking for a stress free family day and not to worried to see all the significant sites

Thanks.

Ahhh, the "terrible" twos :). Keep in mind that Lisbon has several different cruise ship docking locations so your decision might be influenced by where you are docked in relation to a Metro, bus, or Tram stop. With a toddler, buggy, and all the other "stuff" parents much carry we think your smartest option is to simply spend a few extra Euros and use taxis :). Otherwise, as previously mentioned, you need to assess whether the Metro or Tram system best works for your docking location. Personally we would not want to try and get onto a tram with toddler and all the other stuff...but it can be done. Using the Metro would be a little easier given the use of elevators and the ability to roll a buggy right onto a Metro car.

Hank

Ahhh, the "terrible" twos :). Keep in mind that Lisbon has several different cruise ship docking locations so your decision might be influenced by where you are docked in relation to a Metro, bus, or Tram stop. With a toddler, buggy, and all the other "stuff" parents much carry we think your smartest option is to simply spend a few extra Euros and use taxis :). Otherwise, as previously mentioned, you need to assess whether the Metro or Tram system best works for your docking location. Personally we would not want to try and get onto a tram with toddler and all the other stuff...but it can be done. Using the Metro would be a little easier given the use of elevators and the ability to roll a buggy right onto a Metro car.

Hank

Thanks. I'm not sure if we are optimistic or crazy to be taking a 2 year old![emoji106]🏻[emoji16]

I think you are probably right about getting a taxi. It was something I had considered. Do you know if they are metered or you agree the cost upfront? Also any ideas on where to get one? Are there taxi ranks/stations? Do we hail or call one? While taxis are convenient in one way, the fact that they work differently in different places usually means I tend not to bother!

Taxis are metered. My educated guess for taxi fare from Lisbon centre to Oceanarium is somewhere between 10 to 15€. Taxis have stands but can be hailed on the street; most official ones are beige colour. If public transit is used Oceanarium is located at Oriente metro. There is also shopping mall there (Vasco de Gama); good for resting & eating.

Taxis are metered. My educated guess for taxi fare from Lisbon centre to Oceanarium is somewhere between 10 to 15€. Taxis have stands but can be hailed on the street; most official ones are beige colour. If public transit is used Oceanarium is located at Oriente metro. There is also shopping mall there (Vasco de Gama); good for resting & eating.

That's great. Thanks. It's good to have a rough idea what to expect in terms of cost.

The shopping centre sounds like a good plan. Toddlers seem to always need to eat!!

We did this last summer - took a taxi straight from the ship to Oceanarium and arranged a pick up time for approx 3 hours later. It worked very well. I believe we paid 15 euros each way. The aquarium is excellent - probably one of the best in Europe - the cafe/ restaurant is good too and very, very reasonable.

We did this last summer - took a taxi straight from the ship to Oceanarium and arranged a pick up time for approx 3 hours later. It worked very well. I believe we paid 15 euros each way. The aquarium is excellent - probably one of the best in Europe - the cafe/ restaurant is good too and very, very reasonable.

Thank you. That's really helpful.