Open Seating Dining on Zuiderdam

TAD2005

We are on the Zuiderdam, Oct 14, 26 days to FLL. Very port intensive for the first 19 days, and then lots of sea days Trans-Atlantic. We usually reserve a late sitting dining for the whole cruise. But, in this case, we might want to have late sitting for the Mediterranean segment and open dining for the trans-Atlantic part. At this point in time, late seating is wait-listed.

I have seen posts on HAL's version of AnyTime Dining, and they say you can reserve a table for Open dining for only 3 consecutive days. Then, you have to try to reserve again for the next 3 days. No guarantees that you will get the same table, same waiter, or even the same time. Plus, you are limited to 5:15 to 6:00 and 7:30 thru 9:00 for reserved tables. The period from 6:00 to 7:30 are for walk-ins.

Does anyone know exactly how HAL's open seating dining works ? Would a strategically palmed $50 bill when handshaking the maitre'd on boarding day increase my chances of getting the same table for my entire 26 day cruise ?

We have done open seating on the Zuiderdam. When we get on we call for reservations for the first three days, then on the 2nd day, call for the 4th day, then on the 3rd day call for the 5th day etc. We request the same table if we like the dining service and we have always gotten it without palming over any funds. The card delivered to your stateroom each day will say table such and such is requested but not guaranteed. You just have to be nice and ask at the podium and be early for your time. I think the staff likes to have the same people at their stations. JMO. Also we always have a table for 2 and we eat early at 5:15 so if you alternate your times, I don't know how it would work.

We had the same table for 22 days on the Zuiderdam in Open Dining in April.

Sure'at, who is on the door of the Zuiderdam MDR is the person to speak to. How he remembers everyone name, cabin no. and table no. is amazing. He will look after you.

Edited by Stratheden

Several times now, with Open Dining, we have been at the same table the first couple of nights and then we were asked if we wanted that table for the entire cruise at that time. YES! This way we can have our table most nights, and if we have a change in our plans for a day (such as late getting back from shore) they only hold our table for 15 minutes and we can come to dinner later. If we know we will not be at the table at our usual time (eating in Lido or elsewhere...) we give them advance notice so they can seat someone else there that night without waiting the 15 minutes. For us it's a great system.

Would a strategically palmed $50 bill when handshaking the maitre'd on boarding day increase my chances of getting the same table for my entire 26 day cruise ?

As there is no reference in the cruise contract about paying crew members for additional services, and as long as the ship is outside the 200 mile zone, you should be Ok is suppose........

... Would a strategically palmed $50 bill when handshaking the maitre'd on boarding day increase my chances of getting the same table for my entire 26 day cruise ?

We accomplished the same seating every night thing by simply leaving a nightly tip on our table. Same as we would at a restaurant at home. I think our servers must have indicated they would welcome us back. We appreciated that, and we liked that the cash went directly to the workers.