Very Skeptical

labgoat

My dh's description of what he believes a cruise would be like for him sounds incredibly the same as what you experienced on your first cruise.

We have agreed to disagree (after nearly 30 years of me asking and asking him to go). I will be taking three of our dd's on their first cruise in October and he will stay home. He is very happy with this choice and I am too. There is no need for someone who doesn't enjoy such things to be forced to go.

BTW...my dh would also love to see Alaska and advises there may be a day when he will agree to an Alaskan cruise but only when we can afford a nice, big suite where he can be in a quiet place the entire time should he so chose.

labgoat .... Welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

Don't feel guilty.

Some people just do NOT like to cruise.

You gave it a try and didn't like it. You will have the same things you disliked on any cruise you book. Please don't let people push you into doing something you already know you don't enjoy. ;)

LuLu

I could not have said this better myself.

I am going on a cruise vacation because it is something I really want to do. And when I am board, I will have the freedom to do what I want, when I want. Meaning I wont do what I don't want to do. Why go on a vacation if it's likely going to suck for you? Life is too short. Try to do what you enjoy while you have time.

* I get sea sick. I know there are drugs, but I don't really like to take medication.

Have you ever tried the patch? I haven't personally but I always see tons of people using it on cruises. I rely on Dramamine and it has kept me sane on several deep sea fishing trips. One of those times nearly everyone was feeding the fish, but I was fine!

* I don't like crowds or noise. I was always surrounded by a lot of people, which was a bit stressful. Disembarking was horrendous.

The beauty of an Alaska cruise is that the majority of the people are older and therefor the crowding isn't too bad. When it comes to getting off the ship it was probably the easiest we've ever experienced.

* I'm mildly claustrophobic. Our cabin was tiny and had no windows (low and in middle of ship as I was told that experiences the least rockiness). It was also very loud with constant engine noise. I also didn't like ever being in a location on the ship that didn't at least have a window.

I would suggest a Royal Caribbean cruise for you then. Radiance of the Seas is currently doing the Alaska itinerary and it is 90% glass. You can see outside even from the elevators! I'd say either Ocean view or balcony room midship around deck 6. For the noise, you can do some research on the ship you choose to find out the quietest area for you room. (no dining room, theater or sport court above or below)

* I'm not into the "night life" -- clubs, gambling, shows, etc.

We aren't either, plus on Alaska cruises it's all low key and no parties.

* I don't like to dress up and won't attend formal nights. I don't even own a suit.

We ate all meals at the buffet! There are only 2 formals nights, so the rest of the week you can eat in the dining room casual dress if you prefer that.

* I don't like hectic vacations where I'm "doing something" every single day. I like to relax when on vacation, put up my feet, read a book, sip an espresso, etc.

Alaska is a relaxing cruise, find a chair on an outside deck and watch the mountains go by. You never really loose sight of land on this cruise, therefor the ship doesn't do too much rocking either.

* I don't like touristy places (which were the only places the cruise I went on stopped), but would much rather prefer to get away from the hustle and bustle.LG

This I can't really help you with... most cruise ports are touristy, that's the name of the game. But, you can do an excursion that will get you out of the touristy area, or do some research on your ports and grab a cab to some secluded area.. a park or something. Icy Straight is the least touristy port I've ever seen on a cruise, it's privately owned, therefor there are no diamond stores, it's all local shops and a very small area!

I'd say cruises aren't for you, but if your going to go on one, Alaska is the best choice! Plus, if it's been 15 years maybe things have changed enough that you can enjoy your time. It's changed quite a bit since my first cruise in 2005. I wish you good luck and a great vacation!