Our day in Progreso.

cruiseram

I usually do not write reviews, but I wanted to tell you about our day in Progreso. We were on the Carnival Triumph July 18 sailing. I had not found many positive reviews about Progreso before our cruise. It was my son(12) and I, my Aunt, 2 cousins and my cousins 2 kids(6 and 8). We did not book an excursion for Progreso, but we did want to get off the ship for a couple hours and go to the beach. We took the free shuttle to the end of the pier, you are dropped off in a shopping area. After walking through the shopping area, we found the exit. Once you exit take a right and then walk about half a block and then take a left and walk about 3 to 4 blocks and you will reach the Malecon. There are tables with shade on the beach, they are owned by the different restaurants and bars across the street and it will not be long before a waiter will come by to take your order. We ordered some chips, salsa, guacamole, beer and soda. After the kids played in the water for a while we decided to go and find a restaurant and have lunch. Our plan was to go to Eladios but we ended up at Los Henequenes. We ordered chips and salsa and nachos, they were really good and the service was great. I wish we would have tried other things, some people at another table had and it looked really good. We then walked back did a little shopping and then got back on the shuttle and went back to the ship. A couple of other things I wanted to mention, there are a lot of vendors on the beach but a simple no thank you was all that was needed and they would move on and also not once did we feel unsafe. The couple hours planned there turned into the last shuttle back to the ship:). We enjoyed our day in Progreso. Sorry if this is long and thank you for taking time to read. Give Progreso a chance and see for your self.

Nice to read a thread from someone who actually got off the ship and didn't feel afraid. Progreso is more "3rd world" than most folks expect, and driving through it was fascinating. I am so grateful that my parents instilled a love of traveling in me. I am glad you had such a great time! The pier itself, is the worlds longest pier, and can be seen from space.!

• 2 weeks later...