Best Month to Visit Istanbul

I have visited Istanbul and Kusadasi a number of times, including once in late March/early April and another time in late November (just prior to Thanksgiving).

I'd say Istanbul was at its best in the spring -- good weather and lots of tulips everywhere in the public gardens around Sultanahmet. Of course, it may have made a difference that we were there right before and right after President Obama made his historic visit there... Everything was beautifully clean!

On the other hand, Istanbul in November was a little on the gray side. It didn't rain (we were there only 1 day, on a port stop) but it was cloudy and it got dark early. We took a full day tour, and by the end of the day, at Haghia Sophia, the light was already gone making it difficult to see the beautiful decoration and mosaics inside.

I also seem to remember that during the off-season (which may include both April and November) the hours were a little shorter at a couple of the major sites. No big deal as long as you plan well.

Kusadasi in both April and November was sunny and warm-ish. There were fewer crowds in late November at Ephesus. I was able to take a photo looking down toward the Library of Celsus with no other people. (However, this was in 2006, I suspect there are more crowds there now, even in November....)

We were in Istanbul towards the end of April during their tulip festival. The weather was great and the tulips were amazing. I'm Dutch and Istanbul's tulip displays surpassed anything I've ever seen anywhere else. This was our first time and now I know why so many people list Istanbul as one of their favorites. It's now one of mine too and would love to go back, even without the tulips.

Have been twice in the spring….. very early May. Definitely not high 60's - as it was much warmer than that. Last visit (this past May) it was quite warm but not sweating hot. Didn't notice the humidity as I am from South Texas and live on the water so its always humid here !

Only once in the late fall. A cold front had come down from the north the night before we arrived so it was cold and drizzly for part of the day too.

Ephesus will be warmer than Istanbul since it is further south……

We were in Ephesus in 2013 on Halloween Day October 31st. Everyone in our party wore either shorts/capris with light windbreaker jackets/sweatshirts in the morning, and by lunchtime we had peeled them off. The day started off pleasantly cool and warmed up nicely. It was just the kind of weather you prefer. Also, the crowds at Ephesus were quite manageable, another bonus when traveling in the off season! Our daughter had gone to Ephesus the previous summer and she marveled at how much less crazy it was in the fall without the crowds and heat to contend with.

We were in Istanbul the first week of June this year and the daytime weather started up in the 60s and ten days later it was in the low 80s. We were glad we brought jackets with us because we really needed them in the evening!

We were there the third week of November and it was sunny and warm. We ate lunch outdoors.

Ephesus was sunny and close to hot (perfect actually.)

The advantage of times such as November is the relative lack of crowds.