Gluten Free with Any time dining

Etchdreams

In the past we have always had a "Set" time for dining, and never had a problem with my gluten Free Diet. This time we are going to try "Your Time Dining."

I was wondering if any one has done this and if they had any problems?

Thanks.

Love it!!!!! The only night it's difficult is the first one, so plan on eating a basic meal...like meat/potatoes/veggies. But tell the hostess, and they will come to the table with the next day's menu and you will preorder. They will have the list of what has wheat and what doesn't. Some meals can be made gfree, some will have things left off (like the onion ring for the steak), and others you'll just substitute out. But the gluten free melting cake is to DIE FOR!!!!!

Also, the gfree bread is quite good. It's kinda like a cornbread flavor, but it's served warm. And, if you eat brunch in the dining room, go ahead and preorder that as well. I really loved the gfree French toast and the eggs Benedict! (Ok loved, may not be a strong enough word, they were AMAZING!!!!).

Also for dinner, most of the fruit cold soups are safe. I "think" there was a potato soup, but I can't remember. And if there is a pasta dish that you really like, ask to see if you can substitute their corn based pasta instead. I usually ask to have it over cooked, because al-dente gfree pasta is crunchy

I have celiac, so I have to be extremely careful and I havent gotten sick once on a cruise!

I don't have your answer, but what do you do if you eat on land at a restaurant? Do people ask the cooks what's safe to eat?:confused:

Yes! Because one little mishap or cross-contamination means I am extremely sick for 3 days.

DD has other dietary issues and we almost always do ATD.

At embark go to the MDR and pre order that night's meal. Every night either a hostess or the waiter will take the next day's MDR requests-breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinner.

At each meal you'll be asked for your folio or cabin number. The hostess will give a your order slip to your waiter.

The only issue we had was that her food came out faster than the rest of the table's.

In the past we have always had a "Set" time for dining, and never had a problem with my gluten Free Diet. This time we are going to try "Your Time Dining."

I was wondering if any one has done this and if they had any problems?

Thanks.

We were three couples sailing to Alaska on Legend two weeks ago. One person is gluten free. She had no problems at all. We had a great wait staff on our first night of YTD. We asked to be seated in their section every night. Our friend asked for gluten free bread. It was automatically brought to her every night after that. She also found out about gf chocolate melting cake, which was also brought to her every night after the first. (She claimed it was amazing.)

We found that with ATD the GF food was either cold or took forever to come.

Since they have to cook your meals to order it is easier on the staff when they know exactly what time you will be eating in the dining room. We have had much better luck with our GF meals when doing assigned seating.

We just got our GF letter from special needs today for our upcoming cruise. It is much more detailed than the letter we got last year.

Our chef’s will make every effort possible to fulfill your requests and will gladly prepare freshly made options that meet your dietary needs. However, you will need to make arrangements in advance with your headwaiter and hostess. Once onboard, we ask you speak with them so they can assist in planning your daily meals in the dining room. This will allow us the necessary time to prepare foods, as requested, in a timely manner.

Additionally, we have available gluten free bread for deli sandwiches, hamburger buns for burgers, and cake upon request. Plus, our ice-cream and yogurt are Gluten-free and we offer Gluten-free pizza at the Pizzeria, as well as, Gluten free pasta on the pasta bar (only available on the Carnival Breeze, Carnival Dream, Carnival Magic, and Carnival Sunshine). However, please keep in mind that sandwiches, burgers, and pizza are prepared fresh upon request. Therefore, they may take a little longer than regular menu items. We ask for your patience while we prepare your requested dish. We’d also like to mention we carry Gluten-free beer, Estrella Daura for your enjoyment.

Our dining staff is knowledgeable and can confidently answer any questions regarding a specific menu item. Please feel free to discuss with them your specific needs so you can determine what you can or cannot eat, as outlined in your letter to us.

We look forward to providing you a FUN and memorable cruise vacation. See you on board!

Edited by DebJ14

I was on the dream almost two years ago. The first night in the mdr. I told my server I needed gluten free he helped me pick out something on the menu for that night. After that I preorder my dinners and always brought our my gluten free bread. Everything was amazing.