Gratuities

annestis

You do know that on many lines as soon as you remove the auto tips, the staff is notified and anything you give them in person has to be turned over to their supervisor to be added to the pool to be shared with the appropriate support staff? You have gone out of your way to make sure you "reward" only those you feel worthy, but in reality you are not doing anyone any favors in the least.

Only if auto tips are left in place will the individual staff you want to reward in ADDITION to the normal tips actually get to keep those excess moneys.

Why make it more work for you, for your the staff you deem "worthy", and their supervisor? Just leave those auto tips in place and give extra to those who excel.

How I tip should be of no concern of yours. After all, it is my money.

We let our conscience be our guide. We generally remove the auto tips and hand out tips to those who serve us. Sometimes it's more than the recommended and sometimes it's lower than recommended. We like the envelopes and a handshake.

I wonder about something regarding tipping. I do not mind tipping - I was in the service industry myself and sure did appreciate the tips. My question is (or should I leave it alone?), if my husband and I do not use the wine steward at any time on the cruise and make note of it, but still tip our $25.00 auto tip a day; would the amount that does not go to the wine steward then get portioned out to the service we did receive such as our room attendant, food servers and the like?

Or, should we just leave it alone and tip extra to those whose service went "above and beyond"?

We are not cheap and are more than happy to tip, but on the last cruise we were on 20 years ago, the wine steward got a rather large percentage of the tip pool whether we used his services or not, and our cabin person got a much lower percentage; we felt our cabin person did not get his rightful share in the tip pool, so we gave him a large tip to make up for the auto tip pooling.

We let our conscience be our guide. We generally remove the auto tips and hand out tips to those who serve us. Sometimes it's more than the recommended and sometimes it's lower than recommended. We like the envelopes and a handshake.

Prepare for a blast then, as some here say that there is NEVER a reason to remove the auto grats and you are not dong it the way they say you must.

I wonder about something regarding tipping. I do not mind tipping - I was in the service industry myself and sure did appreciate the tips. My question is (or should I leave it alone?), if my husband and I do not use the wine steward at any time on the cruise and make note of it, but still tip our $25.00 auto tip a day; would the amount that does not go to the wine steward then get portioned out to the service we did receive such as our room attendant, food servers and the like?

Or, should we just leave it alone and tip extra to those whose service went "above and beyond"?

We are not cheap and are more than happy to tip, but on the last cruise we were on 20 years ago, the wine steward got a rather large percentage of the tip pool whether we used his services or not, and our cabin person got a much lower percentage; we felt our cabin person did not get his rightful share in the tip pool, so we gave him a large tip to make up for the auto tip pooling.

Make your lives - and the lives of the crew - easier and just leave it. And do show your appreciation to those who give you service that is better than what you expected by giving additional. The extra you give them hopefully makes up for the missing tips from those who try to save money by stiffing the crew.

Edited by sloopsailor

poor service needs or be discussed IMMEDIATELY to allow them to rectify, not by withholding a tip at the end without giving them a chance

they let people adjust because there are people like you who will bitch and complain and cause a scene because you are sooo convinced that the rest of us who choose to abide by policy are sheeple.

don't like the policy, DON'T SAIL WITH THAT LINE.

In Japan it is considered a major insult to the owner to tip. so we didn't tip. In Oz it is considered normal to 'haggle' prices and bring your own bottles. so we do.

in other words, when in Rome....

1. Please read am sck of saying I leave the auto tps in place, what object to are the tip ****s that say that anyone who doesn't is stiffing the crew or can't afford to cruise.

As for when in Rome, I only ever sail in Australia, so the people who don't tip are actually ones who are abiding with your When in Rome policy, also why do so many visitors here insist on tipping as if they are at home?

Good point! It does seem that people who resent suggestions about leaving the service charge in place like to use derogatory language such as "tip police" as a defense mechanism -- much as similar-minded people who adhere to the "my vacation, my rules" concept like to toss in the "clothes police" perjoration at anyone who is so offensive as to suggest complying with the dress code.

What about those who call people who follow the lines rules, [you know the rules that let you adjust or remove auto tips] stiffers and tight wads and say they shouldn't cruise. You those silly people who do what the lines let them.

.... also why do so many visitors here insist on tipping as if they are at home?

Because we Americans are a generous group. We tip out of habit, or out of generosity. If your whining is indicative of your countrymen, it would seem that in OZ being generous is considered evil. :eek:

Edited by SantaFeFan

[quote name='annestis']So if I don't prepay and they r added to my final bill, how (if I don't want to pay) do I NOT get charged.......please no negativity. It's just a question and it's my money[/QUOTE]

There is a significant difference between "prepaid tips" and "auto tips".

"Prepaid tips" means you have already satisfied your obligations to the crew by having taken care of the gratuities in advance, usually at final payment time a couple of months before the cruise (we do this even if we are not required to.) One usually doesn't need to prepay unless it is a requirement of a dining plan you have opted for.

"Auto tips" means the cruise line will add the suggested tip amounts to your account on a daily basis, with the expectation that you will take care of those obligations with your final bill on the last day of the cruise.

Just as long as the tips are taken care of to the suggest amounts, you are perfectly fine. Edited by SantaFeFan

[quote name='sloopsailor']You certainly are living up to expectations, aren't you?[/quote]

I hope so.

At least I am being honest in telling people they are entitled to do as they7 please with their tips, rather than saying they are stiffing the staff and doing something immoral.

[quote name='annestis']So if I don't prepay and they r added to my final bill, how (if I don't want to pay) do I NOT get charged.......please no negativity. It's just a question and it's my money[/quote]

As I understand it you go to the pursers desk and ask to have it removed.

[quote name='SantaFeFan']There is a significant difference between "prepaid tips" and "auto tips".

"Prepaid tips" means you have already satisfied your obligations to the crew by having taken care of the gratuities in advance, usually at final payment time a couple of months before the cruise (we do this even if we are not required to.) One usually doesn't need to prepay unless it is a requirement of a dining plan you have opted for.

"Auto tips" means the cruise line will add the suggested tip amounts to your account on a daily basis, with the expectation that you will take care of those obligations with your final bill on the last day of the cruise.

Just as long as the tips are taken care of to the suggest amounts, you are perfectly fine.[/QUOTE]

Well said. A voice of reason standing out against a sea of vitriol from the "it's my money, don't you dare tell me how spend it" crowd.

[quote name='SantaFeFan']Because we Americans are a generous group. We tip out of habit, or out of generosity. If your whining is indicative of your countrymen, it would seem that in OZ being generous is considered evil. :eek:[/quote]

Yep we are so ungenerous that we actually pay people a wage they can live on without tips, how very very wicked of us. You are the ones saying "when in Rome" you can't have it both ways.

Funny you are allowed tip out of habit [as you ut it], but if someone else doesn't tip put of habit [because it is unnatural for them to do so] they are stiffing the staff. Yet another example of the hypocrisy seen on tipping threads every day.

[quote name='GUT2407']I hope so.

[B]At least I am being honest in telling people they are entitled to do as they7 please [/B]with their tips, rather than saying they are stiffing the staff and doing something immoral.[/QUOTE]

Yep, just as you would be "being honest" by telling people to hog seats at the pool "as they please", or to ignore dress codes in the MDR "as they please", or to smoke on their balcony "as they please", or to talk during shows "as they please", or push their way to the front of lines "as they please", etc. A true life coach, you are. Edited by PTMary

[quote name='SantaFeFan']There is a significant difference between "prepaid tips" and "auto tips".

"Prepaid tips" means you have already satisfied [B]your obligations[/B] to the crew by having taken care of the gratuities in advance, usually at final payment time a couple of months before the cruise (we do this even if we are not required to.) One usually doesn't need to prepay unless it is a requirement of a dining plan you have opted for.

Just as long as the tips are taken care of to the suggest amounts, you are perfectly fine.[/quote]

If it is "an obligation" it is not a gratuity. Also if it is an obligation why does the lne let you remove it.

[quote name='GUT2407']If it is "an obligation" it is not a gratuity. Also if it is an obligation why does the lne let you remove it.[/QUOTE]

It is quite obvious that the concept of "obligation" is a foreign idea to you. Here is a dictionary description to help you grow as a human.

ob·li·ga·tion
ˌäbləˈɡāSH(ə)n/
noun
an act or course of action to which a person is morally or legally bound; a duty or commitment.

synonyms: duty, commitment, responsibility, moral imperative;
the condition of being morally or legally bound to do something.

[B][COLOR="Red"]a debt of gratitude for a service or favor.[/COLOR][/B] Edited by PTMary

[quote name='PTMary']Yep, just as you would be "being honest" by telling people to hog seats at the pool "as they please", or to ignore dress codes in the MDR "as they please", or to smoke on their balcony "as they please", or to talk during shows "as they please", or push their way to the front of lines "as they please", etc. A true life coach, you are.[/quote]

See that's where you are wrong

Most lines have rules about how long you can hold seats for

Most lines have rules about Dress in the MDR

Most lines have rules about smoking on the balcony

And

Most lines have rules that allow you to remove auto tips.

And see I believe that they set the rules and as long as people are acting within the rules that's their business not yours.