Benefits of Making a Deposit vs. Making Full Payment

bigb99

Hi all.

I'm taking my second cruise on RCCL in March but it's going to be the first one I pay for myself. In all my travels I believe in making payment in full so I don't have to worry about it later, and that's what I did when I booked my cruise. Then after some research I found out that if you just make a deposit and the price drops, you can pay the new price. Will I be able to have any money refunded if the price drops or is that it?

Also what are the benefits of making a full payment vs. just a deposit and vice versa?

Thanks

Edited by bigb99

You can only get a price adjustment downwards and a refund as you have already paid in full, if the price of your cabin category goes down before the final payment date of the cruise you're on. You must request this be done if the price does drop below what you paid. The final payment is 75 days prior for that 8 night cruise.

I don't know of any other benefits of making a full payment that early other than what you already stated.

RCI actually benefits by having your money that early.

Edited by robtulipe

We usually pay a week or two before final payment time just to make sure there is some leeway for any glitches that may happen. This next cruise we are doing we paid about a month early just because we used a future cruise certificate purchased on board another cruise, and we had so many issues getting it all sorted when it was booked. We have now paid and RCI have sent an invoice to show full payment so we are feeling content and happy that it is done.

It is sometimes just person opinion on what you want to do, and what works for you. Yes, is should be logical to wait until the last day to pay, but that doesn't work for my stress levels.

We are under different conditions in Australia, so as far as the price drop side of it goes, that isn't something they care to indulge us with over here.

One downside to paying in full is the inability to transfer the booking to a travel agent. You would normally have 60 days after booking to transfer, but if you pay in full, you can no longer transfer.

Thanks everyone for your replies!

One downside to paying in full is the inability to transfer the booking to a travel agent. You would normally have 60 days after booking to transfer, but if you pay in full, you can no longer transfer.

For future reference, what benefits would I have in transferring the booking to a travel agent? Also I live in a country where the travel agents don't have any affiliations with cruise liners. Provided the benefits are significant, any idea if I would be able to transfer the booking to an international travel agency?

For future reference, what benefits would I have in transferring the booking to a travel agent? Also I live in a country where the travel agents don't have any affiliations with cruise liners. Provided the benefits are significant, any idea if I would be able to transfer the booking to an international travel agency?

Some travel agents give perks, such as on board credit, free gratuities, free specialty restaurant, etc. I don't know if the same rules apply to travel agent transfers outside the US/Canada.

#bigb99 _ Thank you so much for your question. I also wondered about this issue, and like you I booked my second cruise on RCCL, cat. D1 balcony and paid it right away. Meanwhile I found a JS for quite less than I paid for D1.[emoji53][emoji53][emoji53]

offshorefriend

#bigb99 _ Thank you so much for your question. I also wondered about this issue, and like you I booked my second cruise on RCCL, cat. D1 balcony and paid it right away. Meanwhile I found a JS for quite less than I paid for D1.[emoji53][emoji53][emoji53]

offshorefriend

If it is outside the penalty date for cancellation you may be able to cancel it? In Australia that date is a few months out from sailing. If I can't tell from my booking I have done a dummy booking process direct on their site, and just before you need to pay it shows the penalty timeframes. Not sure if that relates to your booking.

Edited by goodycruising

offshorefriend

I would still call and ask. Even though in Germany you can´t cancel without Penalty, you might still be able to upgrade to the JS, even if you don´t get any Money back, you would still get a better cabin.

Hi all.

I'm taking my second cruise on RCCL in March but it's going to be the first one I pay for myself. In all my travels I believe in making payment in full so I don't have to worry about it later, and that's what I did when I booked my cruise. Then after some research I found out that if you just make a deposit and the price drops, you can pay the new price. Will I be able to have any money refunded if the price drops or is that it?

Also what are the benefits of making a full payment vs. just a deposit and vice versa?

Thanks

I always pay when I have the money. I also prepay everything, from drinks to excursions, tips, any anything else. If a price drops, I gladly will take the OBC or an upgrade, which I got both at different times. The benefit is the piece of mind that you don't owe any money.

There are so many articles of how people go into debt for vacation. I'm the opposite. Pay for it and enjoy.

For me, the advantage to a Travel Agent is not having to do anything. I have used her for years and she "fights the battles" for me. I simply email or call her with the cruise and cabin choice, and it's done. I still track prices and if it drops I email her and it's done. If there is a problem, she handles it. I booked on a Sunday for 3 cabins for our family that included BOGOHO drink packages, and C & A discounts. I was on the phone forever with RCCL trying to get things straightened out. I had to quote them their own website rules, etc. They were very nice, but the agent kept saying, "let me put you on hold and check with my supervisor." I transferred the booking to my TA and now she handles it all. I don't want to ever book directly again.

Now, as to making full payment. I never do that. First, Royal Caribbean has all your money for months. You can be earning a few dollars if you keep it in an interest bearing account. Or you can put money aside each month and not take a bit "hit" all at once. If you cancel it takes some time for a refund. If all they have is a deposit, it isn't that big a deal waiting for a refund. As for making final payment on time. Well, that's where my TA comes in again. She notifies me a week out or so and I verify that I want the cruise paid off, and it's done.

Edited by papaflamingo