Product Recommendations for 9 month old

LEOwife

So I've been reading different posts about what to bring for a 9 month old on a cruise. We are going on Allure so our ports are Nassau, Falmouth, and Cozumel. I've got a good shopping list going but need a couple product recommendations.

We currently use a Chicco Keyfit system for his carseat. I was just going to bring the carrier in lieu of a car set. I'm sure we will need a car seat to travel to and from the airport and in case we do excursions that require them. Will the Chicco work or is there a better, lightweight option?

We are looking for an good umbrella stroller that will fold up small for the stateroom, travel well through excursions and on the boat. Must have a 5 point harness and a sun shade. Any recommendations? I really don't want to pay over $100.

In general, the countries you are visiting do not require car seats so legally it is at your discretion. Cruise ship tours generally use large buses, which would not require car seats. If you plan independent excursions, you should try to arrange transporation ahead of time, since not all cabs in ports will have seatbelts, and therefore it is not possible to install a car seat. It is important to inform private tour operators that you will be installing a car seat, since we wound up a seat short on a tour in Costa Rica because the tour operator assumed my 2 year old would sit on someone's lap. I rode on the side of the back of a truck because we didn't have enough seats. Cruisers who try to hire a cab at the pier usually have to wait until one comes with car seats. I have found that my toddler sleeps better on the plane in a car seat, but that is each individual parent's decision.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kolcraft-Cloud-Sport-Lightweight-Stroller-Cobalt-Blue/38542556

We purchased this stroller from Walmart for our last cruise. It was narrow enough for the hallways and to get in the cabin door, had a large canopy, and folded flat to store under the bed. It does have a 5pt harness and a decent (but not a flat) recline

So I've been reading different posts about what to bring for a 9 month old on a cruise. We are going on Allure so our ports are Nassau, Falmouth, and Cozumel. I've got a good shopping list going but need a couple product recommendations.

We currently use a Chicco Keyfit system for his carseat. I was just going to bring the carrier in lieu of a car set. I'm sure we will need a car seat to travel to and from the airport and in case we do excursions that require them. Will the Chicco work or is there a better, lightweight option?

We are looking for an good umbrella stroller that will fold up small for the stateroom, travel well through excursions and on the boat. Must have a 5 point harness and a sun shade. Any recommendations? I really don't want to pay over $100.

Do you have a seat for your child on the plane or are you just holding him/her in your lap? If you aren't using a car seat on the plane, I would just use shuttles to get to/from the airport and not bother with a car seat. Even if you book private excursions, what are you going to do with the carseat when you arrive? If you use cruise ship tours it won't be an issue. I always just held my little ones on private excursions (usually a minibus type taxi cab) when we cruised.

If you aren't going on a large motor coach I would absolutely bring a car seat. Walmart sells the cosco Scenera really cheap. We bought one just for cruise traveling, it's really lightweight and easy to install. We haven't arranged the tours in advance, we just get in the taxi line and wait for a car with a seatbelt. It hasn't been difficult. Sure, the taxi people can be a little jerky about it, but I don't mind. The other option is to do things in walking distance of the port.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/16932754?productRedirect=true

We use the scenera next car seat for travel now, but when we cruised with DS at 10 months we took our keyfit and the stroller it clicked into (but we do have the smaller umbrella food Nuevo stroller) and they were super easy and worked very well. I also used our ergo a lot on that trip. Now that he has outgrown that seat we travel with the scenera next and a Chico echo umbrella stroller from target. That works very well too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LEOwife - we have a Chicco Keyfit as well and before our first cruise with DD who was 8 months we bought a Chicco Liteway Plus. Best purchase ever. It converts from umbrella stroller to infant stroller. It's brilliant.

http://www.chiccoshop.com/Liteway-PLUS-Stroller/Liteway-PLUS-Stroller.html

In addition you may consider a blow up bath tub (Google blow up duck tub). You'll find it.

The other item that is with its weight in gold is our swimways floatie. We've used it on all three cruises. DD loves it.

http://www.swimways.com/baby-spring-float-sun-canopy-p-33.aspx

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you know how to install the keyfit without the base? That is the best option when traveling. Are you driving or flying? We book off hours flights (evening or night) and the flights and usually not full that as long as we have the car seat with us (not checked) we are given a seat for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk