Excursion info Juneau and Ketchikan

cruiser1085

My friend and I want to do both Whale watching and Mendenhal Glacier. Specifically I want to have time to hike to the falls, and the cruise offering allows only 1 hour at the Visitors Center. Has anyone done this excursion and had enough time to hike to the Glacier. Names of company that took you there would be appreciated.

I also want to fish out of Ketchikan. I'm solo, so will need to join up with others. Has anyone found a great company for this?

Thank you so much.

My friend and I want to do both Whale watching and Mendenhal Glacier. Specifically I want to have time to hike to the falls, and the cruise offering allows only 1 hour at the Visitors Center. Has anyone done this excursion and had enough time to hike to the Glacier. Names of company that took you there would be appreciated.

I also want to fish out of Ketchikan. I'm solo, so will need to join up with others. Has anyone found a great company for this?

Thank you so much.

Does it need to be an excursion? It's easy to get to Mendenhall on your own using a taxi or a shuttle... then you can do a separate whale watching excursion.

Does it need to be an excursion? It's easy to get to Mendenhall on your own using a taxi or a shuttle... then you can do a separate whale watching excursion.

there is more to it than what you are suggesting. With your idea, they are back tracking over an hour. The key for the MOST efficient touring is to transfer DIRECT between the whale watch and Mendenhall. NOT do them separately.

Thank you so much.

You need to allow an hour to Nugget Falls. Your tour includes the Visitor Center admission. IF you were to stay with what you have- ALL you have to do, assuming your Mendenhall section is AFTER the whale watch, is to just stay at Mendenhall and exit your tour. you can get back to the dock, by just paying $10pp for a shuttle.

Alternative would be to select a whale watch independently, and get a drop off or pick up at Mendenhall. Depending on the vendor- cuold also take a cab between the two. The WHOLE point is to go DIRECT better the whale watch and Mendenhall. Saves over an hour in backtracking transit time.

this all has to be coordinated with the whale watch vendor. So be certain, to get the available details.

I was on a DCL cruise and went on this tour....

http://www.stepintoalaska.com/excursions/whale-watching-mendenhall-glacier-photo-safari

Whale watch was at beginning.... then the tour took us to Mendenhall for a "Trail of Time".

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/tongass/recreation/recarea/?recid=78812&actid=50

When the tour ended... we were given something like 15 or 30 minutes around the visitor centre before the shuttle returned us to the ship.

If you did this tour.... You can abandon the tour at the visitor centre to explore the other trails and then return via the shuttle.

I'll let others comment on the shuttle. I hear those last shuttles of the day are super busy.

What I would do is research whale & Mendenhall combo's to avoid returning to the ship. But find out which one does the whale watch FIRST, giving you flexibility on when to return from Mendenhall.

[YOUTUBE]8FqGccN6aEw[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

there is more to it than what you are suggesting. With your idea, they are back tracking over an hour. The key for the MOST efficient touring is to transfer DIRECT between the whale watch and Mendenhall. NOT do them separately.

Not necessarily. For my cruise coming up I'm taking a taxi from Mendenhall to Auke Bay (not all the way back to Juneau) to meet up with Harv and Marv's tour there. I've pre-reserved the taxi with Evergreen.

Not necessarily. For my cruise coming up I'm taking a taxi from Mendenhall to Auke Bay (not all the way back to Juneau) to meet up with Harv and Marv's tour there. I've pre-reserved the taxi with Evergreen.

You didn't even suggest that. (which is something I have posted for years- adding- you HAVE to know what dock). The whole point- I try to make clear, which was not, is the direct transfer between the 2 and avoiding going back and forth downtown. I think the point is clear now.

You didn't even suggest that. (which is something I have posted for years- adding- you HAVE to know what dock). The whole point- I try to make clear, which was not, is the direct transfer between the 2 and avoiding going back and forth downtown. I think the point is clear now.

Not to belabor the point, but I said exactly that. I said, "It's easy to get to Mendenhall on your own using a taxi or a shuttle... then you can do a separate whale watching excursion." That's what I'm doing. In my case I'm leaving the ship before the shuttles start running, so I'm taking a taxi to Mendenhall, but otherwise I could have done the shuttle there and saved a bit of money. ($20 for the shuttle versus ~$35 for the taxi). You replied as though I said he should backtrack to Juneau but I never suggested that, and would not have.

He asked about excursions. The point of my suggestion was that there are many options besides a single excursion covering both Mendenhall and whale watching. I am sure the OP appreciated your additional detail, but you could have added it without disparaging my posts. I have lurked here quite a bit and sometimes you come across as though no one else is allowed to offer suggestions.

I so appreciate everyone's posts. This is my first trip to AK and I really appreciate all the input.

I booked a whale watch with Harv and Marv's because they are smaller boats (6 or 12 people) rather than 25 or 40. Since our boat arrives at 1 pm, we'll go to the glacier first, then take the Harv and Marv tour.

That said, I am really curious about this post:

"For my cruise coming up I'm taking a taxi from Mendenhall to Auke Bay (not all the way back to Juneau) to meet up with Harv and Marv's tour there. I've pre-reserved the taxi with Evergreen." We were going to do the shuttle to and from Mendenhall, which would, as someone said, be backtracking, but I didn't like the tour boats that would have combined the two.

Where is Auke Bay (I'll make a call tomorrow to Harv and Marv's.

Thanks all!

I so appreciate everyone's posts. This is my first trip to AK and I really appreciate all the input.

I booked a whale watch with Harv and Marv's because they are smaller boats (6 or 12 people) rather than 25 or 40. Since our boat arrives at 1 pm, we'll go to the glacier first, then take the Harv and Marv tour.

That said, I am really curious about this post:

"For my cruise coming up I'm taking a taxi from Mendenhall to Auke Bay (not all the way back to Juneau) to meet up with Harv and Marv's tour there. I've pre-reserved the taxi with Evergreen." We were going to do the shuttle to and from Mendenhall, which would, as someone said, be backtracking, but I didn't like the tour boats that would have combined the two.

Where is Auke Bay (I'll make a call tomorrow to Harv and Marv's.

Thanks all!

Auke Bay is where the whale watches leave from. I already mentioned the necessity of finding out what dock you are at- if you are getting there on your own.

The cruise ships dock downtown Juneau- Mendenhall Glacier and Auke Bay are both 20+ minutes north of downtown Juneau. It is FAR more efficient to go DIRECT between these two areas, rather than back track- back and forth to downtown Juneau, which is what will happen, without cobooking these two tour options. Cobooking can be done by the vendors, where one drops off/picks up from one tour, and goes direct to the second. Otherwise- you are going to be adding at least an hour in transit time. You can "cobook" independently, with a cab or rental car. You need to have the cab number, to call from Mendenhall- at least a half hour prior to needing it.

With going to Mendenhall first- and if you do so with H&M, they are known for only a 15 minute stop. Be certain, this is what you want, along with verifying directly the schedule.

Depending on your time- if you were to want to walk the Nugget Falls trail, you would have to have at least a 2 hour window before a whale watch. (from downtown)

Edited by Budget Queen

A few weeks ago, we did a Harv and Marv's whale watch that included transportation to Mendenhall. They pick you up at your ship, transport you to Auke Bay for your whale watch, then take you to Mendenhall for a 15-minute photo stop before returning you to your ship. If you want to stay longer at the glacier, you can abandon the tour there and ride the blue or white shuttle bus back to downtown for $10 per person. This worked very well for us.

The whale watch was spectacular, as was the visit to Mendenhall. Be sure to look for bears at Steep Creek near where you catch the return shuttle.

Thank you all. I'll call Harv and Marv and a taxi to see if I can hook up with the whale watch at Auke Bay.

For anyone reading this thread, I got a call back today from Dolphin Tours

https://dolphintours.com/activities/whale-watching-mendenhall-glacier-combo/

and that might have been a good choice had I not already booked our whale watch. The woman was really friendly and they provide hot coffee, hot cocoa and a snack. But, the lady pointed out I can get plenty of all of that on the cruise.

We're leaving in just a few days and I am so looking forward to it. Now for Sitka and Victoria....

We are looking for 2 or 3 more people to share a taxi Aug 25th 2015. I call today to confirm the e-mail below.

Aug 15 at 8:31 PM

On 8/15/2015 12:24 PM, Squarespace wrote:

Would like to know cost 4 to 6 people from dock to Mendenhall visitor center round trip.? One person has scooter. Also do we get to stay as long as we like.

All Juneau taxi companies charge the same city regulated rates. The cost is approximately $35 each way + $1.50 per person Mendenhall Glacier Recreation Area transport permit fee. If you want to enter the Visitor Center building, there is an additional $3 admission fee for adults.

We often drop passengers off and return later. Our vans can accommodate scooters.

We no longer take regular taxi trip reservations on our web site. You can book a taxi trip with the Capital/Taku/Evergreen Taxi dispatcher at 907-790-4511. Make sure the dispatcher knows that you need a 7 passenger van so there is room for the scooter.

2 years ago we did a whale watching tour combined with transport to Mendenhall. The visitor center presentation is very interesting. But there was not much time left after that to hike, etc. So, the idea of taking the $10 bus back to the ship is an excellent one.