Azura v Independence of the seas

Tink78

Hi all its our first time aboard the Azura (first time with P&O) we love the Independence of the seas everything about her was perfect. Has anyone been on both and can tell me the difference in size, we went on Serenade last year and really did not like it for many reasons but one being too small! I know I'm fussy but we all have our favourites.

Hi all its our first time aboard the Azura (first time with P&O) we love the Independence of the seas everything about her was perfect. Has anyone been on both and can tell me the difference in size, we went on Serenade last year and really did not like it for many reasons but one being too small! I know I'm fussy but we all have our favourites.

Hello,

I have sailed on both ships.

IOTS is approx 154,000 GT whilst Azura is approx 115,000 GT so you will notice a slight difference in size & facilities. For example there is no ice rink on board Azura & it doesn't have the 'shopping mall' type deck like IOTS.

On board spending will be in £ as opposed to $. The tips are cheaper than on IOTS & there isn't a 15% gratuity added to all drinks purchased.

Is there something specific you were concerned about Azura that I could maybe answer for you?

Joan

Tink, I think I know where you are coming from. Are you thinking about next years holiday with children/teenagers? If so, we are in a similar position - we have been on IOTS and lots of times on P&O but not Azura. We can't deny that IOTS is marvellous for youngsters - the pool facilities, climbing wall, ice rink are not matched by P & O. P & O come out cheaper price wise however - as has been said, tips are cheaper and prices of drinks on board. The night nursery however is better than IOTS - so lots to think about - may depend on ages of children if this is indeed the case.

We have sailed on both ships too.

Independence is quite a lot bigger. She has more bells and whistles than Azura (Ice Skating, Promenade, Rock Climbing etc) plus a much more dramatic main dining room. With Independence the first time you get onboard there really is a wow. Service onboard is very American. Onboard drinks are pricey.

Azura is more low key with more subtle decor. There are 3 smaller main dining rooms. The Atrium is much smaller and I would have to say for us there is no wow. However we've sailed on her twice ( and her sister Ventura three times) so that isnt to say she doesnt suit our needs too. Formal nights are adhered to more strongly by the guests. Service is ok, not amazing IMO. I think the main issue for us is the buffet which is split into 2 sides with 2 smaller rear sections as well and the flow is awkward. We prefer the big open buffet on Indy. Onboard drinks are reasonably priced.

Food on Independence in our view was superior to Azura however that was some years back and having experience P&O food on Britannia this March we thought that P&O food had definitely improved to a notch above Royal.

Serenade is about 25,000t smaller than Azura.

IOTS has better shopping/atrium area but most other things such as cabins/food/service are very similar.

More activities on IOTS as well.

If I had to choose and all things similar such as itinery and price I would probably pick IOTS but whether you could get RC to be a similar price as P&O is a different matter.

Enjoy whichever you choose.

Dave.

Done all three of them and our favourite ship in the RCI fleet is the Serenade. [emoji4]

Indy is great just too big and busy for us.

Azura did feel smaller and more crowded then the Indy but we did not like the layout that's from a wheelchair point of view.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you all so much for taking time to read and reply to my post. You have all helped a lot, one more question is the azure noticeably larger than the Serenade?

Yes! We sailed on the Azura this year and the Serenade last year and Azura seemed huge in comparison. Haven't been on the Independence of the Seas as it's not our type of ship. We like peace and quiet and places to sit and watch the sea and both Serenade and Azura gave us this. Cabins are very similar but preferred the aft cabin that we had on Azura as I like the way that the wardrobe area is out of the main room and doubles up as a dressing area. Preferred the glass shower door on Serenade to the ghastly shower curtain on Azura but both shower rooms were as tiny as the other. Breakfasts better on Serenade (crispy bacon and eggs cooked to order) but drinks and tips much cheaper on the Azura. Given the choice I'd probably choose Azura but only by a whisker.

Been on the Azura twice and Indy once.

As a family we prefer Indy for a number of reasons. The Azura was the first ship we went on and we was very impressed. However, two years later we went on Indy and it was a different level.

We did feel that the food on P&O in the MDR was superior to Indy though.

But the layout of Indy and the extra facilities did make it special.

We are booked on Indy for next May and I think our next P&O ship would be the Britannia.

Indy did feel substantially bigger than the Azura.