Help !!! Valor Questions

missouricruiser

Doing Eastern Valor On Nov. 20... My Question Is What Is Best Time To Arrive At Port To Reduce Amount Of Standing... (are There Any Seats) Hubby Unable To Stand Long... Would Arrive Around 10:30-11:00 By Car.... Would That Time Be Too Early Or Already Too Crowded?? Would Anyone Have Eastern Capers They Can Share... Also, Sure Would Appreciate Someone Share The Parking Information With Me... Any Handicap Spots Near Entrance, Etc.....thanks So Much..:)

Sorry to say embarkation was a total nightmare. I would suggest you get there as late as possible. My friend is a diabetic, she knows how to manage her sugar and insulin. She was not prepared for what we had to go through. My 75 year old mother was with us. It was horrible. We arrived at the dock at 1 and didn't set our feet on the ship until 3. That in itself is not so bad, but the herding of people through a non airconditioned warehouse with no moving air and no ventilation, no chairs for the elderly and no coordination was unbearable. Good luck.

If you have disable plates or a plakcard for disable parking you will not be charged for parking at the Port of Miami garage. I see you are from MO. Did you check on airfare from St. Louis I was able to get a direct flight for 10-28-05 for $118 RT. I felt it would probably be cheaperto fly than drive. The Miami airport has wheel chair accessible cabs on the lower level. Just a thought.

I thought the earlier you got to port, the less of time you had to wait? I have read reviews of cruisers getting to the POM around 10:30am & were having a foo foo by noon. Any input? I really don't mind the wait; however, would rather get it over with & done earlier in the day! :o

Happy sailing,

T.

We got to the port at 10:30am, stood in line 20 min to give them our credit card & get our sign and sail, then went thru security up to a holding room that has no chairs. Once in that room we waited another hour or so and everyone in line just sat down on the floor. It wasn't that bad. We were on the ship by noon.

Embarkation can be very unpredictable. It would be good to hear more from people who arrive around 3 or so because that might be your best bet. If you go early you can get on the ship quickly IF debarkation went well. If debarkation is slow, there won't be anyone getting on the ship early.

I'd recommend taking a small folding stool and some bottled water, just to be safe. Since debarkation can also involve some long slow lines, the stool would come in handy for that as well. While waiting in line keep telling each other how much fun you're about to have! :)

Good luck!

Jeff

I was on the Valor in April and one of our party had a walker they took us into a room and we waited there until the lines began to move and then we bypassed all the lines and used the elevator. It sure save us hours getting off the ship as well we bypassed all the lines and took elevators and we were off in minutes. You also don't have to pay for parking if you have a handicap sticker. Linda

We have an early flight into Miami, so we have to wait somewhere, might as well be at the dock. I know that no matter how early we get there, we will stand in line at least 'till noon. If we went there at noon we would probably be in line twice as long, so there really is no way to avoid the line by going early.

Going late is another story. If you live in Miami, or have a hotel room with a late check-out, I would suggest arriving as late as possible. Aside from the time it takes to go through the check-in, I doubt there would be much wait.

If the ship sails at 4, and you leave a nearby hotel a 3, you should breeze right through. I don't think they would leave without you if you get to the pier by 3:30.

If it was me, I would go to the embarkation desk (right inside the termainal) and request a wheelchair. Don't know if you would need any proof :confused:

I have checked in Skippers Club many times and the wheelchair assisted folks come right in their and avoid the lines.

Worth a try

We sailed on the Valor this July. My Dad can not stand for long periods of time so we requested a wheel chair. We arrived at the port at 11:00. What happens though is wheel chairs are not always available as they are still using them to get passengers off the ship so you have to sit and wait...

As said earlier on the post....the start of embarkation times differ each week, depending on customs.....

Dad got his wheel chair around noon and we by passed the line and we were on the ship eating lunch by 12:30.

:) THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL THE SUGGESTIONS.. I WILL DEFINATELY GO WITH A MEDICAL EXCUSE FROM HIS DOCTOR, AND WILL CALL AHEAD... HE JUST CAN'T STAND FOR ANY LENGTH OF TIME. (about 10 mins.tops) WHAT DO YOU THINK OUR ODDS ARE OF GETTING OUR REQUESTED DINING TIME... I HAVE SENT THE INFORMATION TO GUEST ACCESS AS HE MUST EAT AROUND THE 6:15 TIME..... I HAVE HEARD THAT TRYING TO CHANGE TIMES CAN BE A PAIN/HEADACHE.. WHEN I ARRIVE DO I JUST GO INSIDE AND WILL I SEE WHEELCHAIRS AT THE EMBARKATION DESK??? WILL THEY ASSIST ME OR AM I RESPONSIBLE TO GET HIM ONBOARD.???

WE ARE ON MAIN DECK FORWARD... HOW IS NOISE LEVEL UNDER THEATER?? HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO GO MIDSHIP AT MIDDLE BANK OF ELEVATORS.... WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK???? I SURE APPRECIATE ALL YOUR INPUT...

THANKS

ELLIE

Archived