14 cents tax on soda with Bottomless bubbles

Cruiseboy06

But if on bubbles you are not purchasing a can; so you aren't paying tax on a can at all. You are paying it on glass. Which Carnival has determined costs the same.

Let me display my brilliance/ignorance. The tax is paid on the cost determined by the merchant. If Carnival says a glass/can/bottle/bucket of soda is $2 while in Texas waters then Texas wants 16.5 cents. It doesn't matter what the product is, it's what the transaction total was.

For a really long time Carnival absorbed this cost. Once you bought the soda card in Galveston you could drink away and not sign a transaction ticket at any bar. In 2015 they decided to print a receipt and have you sign it. They do this for the entire cruise. Take a look at the cameras over the bar; those servers know they are being watched.

Edited by BallFour4

"Many people have posted wrong info about paying the tax on the package and that just perpetuates wrong info. It's only a few cents per drink, so if you want to drink in the US, you pay the tax. Otherwise, you can wait until you are in International waters and avoid the tax."

Perfectly and simply said! ;)

Edited by mousey

But if on bubbles you are not purchasing a can; so you aren't paying tax on a can at all. You are paying it on glass. Which Carnival has determined costs the same.

Unit pricing isn't always equal- there are lots of times when larger things cost less than smaller ones.

If the extra tax bothers you so much; don't buy the bubbles program until you are out of the state waters and pay per can. That's not going to save you any money, of course, but it's the principal of the matter!!!!

I don't drink soda at all so not effect on me at all, but yes, being double taxed would bother me.

Let me display my brilliance/ignorance. The tax is paid on the cost determined by the merchant. If Carnival says a glass/can/bottle/bucket of soda is $2 while in Texas waters then Texas wants 16.5 cents. It doesn't matter what the product is, it's what the transaction total was.

For a really long time Carnival absorbed this cost. Once you bought the soda card in Galveston you could drink away and not sign a transaction ticket at any bar. In 2015 they decided to print a receipt and have you sign it. They do this for the entire cruise. Take a look at the cameras over the bar; those servers know they are being watched.

Actually Carnival did not absorb the tax as you paid it for the full package if you bought it while still in state waters.

Now that they have changed to only taxing the drink while in state waters, they now print a receipt.

(I have bought the package before)

I don't drink soda at all so not effect on me at all, but yes, being double taxed would bother me.

Actually Carnival did not absorb the tax as you paid it for the full package if you bought it while still in state waters.

Now that they have changed to only taxing the drink while in state waters, they now print a receipt.

(I have bought the package before)

We are both right. When you and I bought the package while in port we'd pay sales tax on the amount. We've done that.

I'd bet even after that we'd also pay the sales tax on purchases while in domestic waters.

Thoughts?

we are taking the 15 day trip to Hawaii from Long beach ca so does that mean we have to pay tax on each bubble drink while docked at the ports in Hawaii?????:confused:

Assuming Hawaii has a sales tax, yes.