Never cruised Norwegian Before

kcrowdis

Hi,

I have been on a cruise before but never with Norwegian. I was hoping someone could help answer some questions about the Freestyle dining. The food on a trip is very imporant to my husband and I so we will like to have a good understanding of what we are in for. We are planning to cruise to Alaska in 2006. We are leaning towards a cruise on the Sun.

I am wondering how does the freestyle dining work? I noticed on the NCL website it says some restaurants had a cover charge or ala carte pricing, can someone share what those fees tend be? I just want to understand how much extra we may be paying.

I also am wondering what the quality of the restaurants are on the Sun?

If anyone else has any general information to share about the ship that would be greatly appreciated as well.

I did tons of research on these boards before I took my last cruise and it was very helpful so I thought I would come back again, because you guys are the best!!

Kim

Freestyle dining means you can dine in the main two restaurants at any time with whom you choose, there aren't any first or second settings or a designated table of conventional cruise dining. Resort casual attire is suitable to dine for dinner, formal nights are optional.

There are a few restaurants that are speciality restaurants: the French style Le Bistro and the East Meets West Asian resturants require reservations and have a service charge. Its best to make reservations the first day of the cruise as the speciality restaurants do sell out. Service charge is up to $20 per person. I don't know the exact details because I never eat in the speciality restaurants as I find the meals provided in the free restaurants more than excellent. I do know there is an added charge in the speciality restaurants for surf and turf.

The Specialty Restaurants on the Spirit were excellent. If at any time, you find that you aren't pleased with a particular item, it is quickly addressed by the waiters.

The restaurants ranged from $12.50pp @ Shogun with Asian Cuisine, Sushi, and Teppananyaki - $20.00pp @ Maxim's Steak House - $15.00pp @ Taipan Bistro which is Mediterranean. These are all of the extra cover charge restaurants and it is best to make reservations well ahead of time.

LaTrattoria, Italian - has no cover charge, but reservations are recommended.

Also, Windows and the Garden Room have fine dining - without reservations.

There are other dining options which are less structured and a buffet.

I believe most NCL ships have a similar menu with variations on the theme.

For early diners in a couple of the specialty restaurants, there is a 50% off cover charge (betweeen 5:30 & 6PM.)

We found the food to be excellent in the specialty restaurants and also in Windows and the Garden Room. The Buffet was good, but not on a fine dining scale at all. The smaller spots we found easy to use for a quick lunch or snack.

Good luck - I am sure someone who has sailed on the Sun will come along soon, to fill you in on specifics.

There's also a great (and gorgeous) Italian restaurant (Il Adagio) on the Sun, you can enjoy Cagney's (steak) menu in East Meets West, and there's Las Ramblas Tapas Bar. My favorites were Il Adagio and Le Bistro when we sailed on the Sun last year. Cagney's, which had not been on the Sun until recently, was one of our favorites on the Star. We're looking forward to trying them all again when we sail to Alaska in May.

I'm sorry I can't remember all the surcharges, but I'm sure someone will be posting them soon. The way we look at it is, we're so lucky to have the choices on Freestyle that we willingly pay to dine in the specialty restaurants.

We had such a wonderful time on the Sun last year that when it came time to book our Alaska cruise, we chose her again. I hope you choose her, too.

Archived