Celebrity gift card question

TeachKinde

This is a strange question. We're on one of those cruises that aren't part of the 1-2-3 or Big, Better Best promotions. It's my birthday and our anniversary and I'd like to purchase the beverage package as a surprise for my DH. Here's the problem. If I charge it or write a check for it the surprise is spoiled.

I want to pay cash. Someone suggested a gift card. I've found a Celebrity gift card at Staples but I'm not sure if it just applies to buying a cruise or if I can use it for the beverage package.

Any wisdom out there? Suggestions/advice appreciated!

Bev

Edited by TeachKinde

This is a strange question. We're on one of those cruises that aren't part of the 1-2-3 or Big, Better Best promotions. It's my birthday and our anniversary and I'd like to purchase the beverage package as a surprise for my DH. Here's the problem. If I charge it or write a check for it the surprise is spoiled.

I want to pay cash. Someone suggested a gift card. I've found a Celebrity gift card at Staples but I'm not sure if it just applies to buying a cruise or if I can use it for the beverage package.

Any wisdom out there? Suggestions/advice appreciated!

Bev

Hi Bev,

I've asked about this previously. The Celebrity gift card sold at Staples only applies towards the purchase of newly booked Cruises. According to the Terms and Conditions, it states the card cannot be used to settle any onboard charges.

For your convenience, here's the full terms and conditions. Hope this helps !

Gift Cards redeemed towards a newly booked cruise by calling 1-888-837-5676 or visit your travel agent with the card and the same number for them to call. Use of this card equals acceptance of following terms. Card is valid only for Celebrity Cruise sailings and can ONLY be used for new bookings, not to be used to settle any ship board charges. Can redeem up to $500 in gift cards per person/per sailing, $1,000 total per stateroom. Can only be redeemed by US residents calling (888) 837-5676. Also is number for card information. Cards are not redeemable for cash and cannot be returned for a cash refund, except to the extent required by law. Card has no value until activated. Treat this Card as cash. No expiration date, no fees. You may supplement payments made using a Card with other acceptable forms of payment. This Card cannot be used and is not applicable for charters and may not be used for customized group programs (i.e. value add groups). Lost, stolen or damaged cards replaced only with valid proof of purchase. All terms enforced except where prohibited by law. Please see http://celebritycorporatekit.com/GiftCardTerms.html for full list of terms and conditions. Issued by Celebrity Cruises Inc.

I would not buy the gift card.When we tried to make the final payment our travel agent told me that he had to go through hoops to get Celebrity to accept. No one seemed to know how to apply it. Finally a supervisor got it accepted.

Honestly, I'd wait until you got onboard and purchase the package then. I say this because I'd be more afraid that any action taken on your reservation would send an email to him confirming the purchase. There are several messages over the years of that happening and spoiling surprises.

Maybe sit down at lunch, ask to see his card, and run to one of the many tables that will sell it to you. Just a thought...

Enjoy your cruise!

• 7 months later...

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I have a similar question regarding the Celebrity Gift Cards that Staples sells. I didn't want to create a new thread.

I know in the terms, it says they can only be used for new bookings. I have a future cruise certificate that isn't attached to a specific sail date and I was wondering if anyone knows if I can use the future cruise certificate in conjunction with the gift card as a form of partial payment.

I understand the max per person for gift card redemption is $500 and $1000 total per stateroom.

I posted a similar question in the RCCL forum. Thanks in advance.

Anyone know of any restrictions on using a Visa prepaid card or something similar instead of the Celebrity gift card to pay off a cruise balance in an effort to maximize rewards points with another program?

Edited by Swabia