11 pm Departure from Venice

kate1970

Our NCL cruise leaves port at 11 pm, so what do you think the best plan for the day is that will allow us to check out of our hotel on time but still maximize Venice before the ship leaves. We will be arriving in Venice the day prior to embarkation so we will have a couple of hours in the afternoon and some evening time on that day but we would like to make the most of it on embarkation day also. Will Venice hotels store our luggage until we are ready to go to the port or would it be recommended to embark early and leave to tour the city again. New to Europe and not overly experienced in cruising so your help is appreciated.

11 PM departure would normally mean everyone must be aboard by 10:30. But they may require you to be onboard earlier so that they can do the emergency drill before departure. As to the best way to handle the day this is what DW and I would do. Up in the morning, breakfast, and then probably a long stroll. Then head over to the port around lunch time (this takes care of check-out time at most hotels) and go through the check-in process and board the ship. Once onboard you can secure your valuables in your cabin safe, dump your carry-on luggage, and enjoy lunch if you want to save some money by not eating ashore. Then leave the ship and enjoy your afternoon. With late evening departures, a majority of cruisers will return to the ship in time for their dinner..although there are always some who will prefer to eat and drink ashore.

If you prefer to board the ship later in the day, most hotels will hold your luggage (just ask the concierge or front desk). However, I have never been a big fan of this practice since it means leaving your carry-on valuables in a less than secure location (especially at smaller hotels). Some hotels will have a "secure room" to hold luggage, but we have just never felt overly confident about how secure.

If you are not familiar with Venice, the port is connected to the Piazale Roma by a small overhead train system called the People Mover. You buy a ticket for each journey (1.50€) and you will be at the P. Roma within a few minutes from where you can access the vaporettos (ACTV) to go anywhere around Venice or to other islands in the Lagoon.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I'd make the most of my day in Venice !! Check-out of the hotel and leave luggage with the staff. If they don't have a secure room it will be left with the front desk staff. If it's a one-person desk, be aware that your luggage will be unattended occasionally when that person must leave the room. I don't travel with valuables so this isn't a concern for me. Been there, done that , many times.

Mid afternoon I'd collect the luggage, check onto the ship, grab a quick meal onboard, then return to Venice to explore until 8pm. Then I'd take a water bus from St Marks to Piazzale Roma to enjoy the evening lights along the Grand Canal, then walk about 2 blocks to the People Mover, and board the ship.

If you aren't comfortable leaving your luggage behind, explore for a few hours after b'fast, check out at 11am, and make your way to the ship to check in early. Grab lunch then head back to Venice for several more hours.

Make the most of your time in Venice .... it's magical. You can explore the ship that evening after dinner.

Thank you Hlitner. If we take a water taxi to the port, do we still have to use the People Mover to get to where the ship is?

not Hlitner but can answer your question

using a water taxi or Alilaguna you wont need to use the people mover as their docks are near the ships-however depending on where your ship is docked it can be a long walk with your luggage.

I would second the suggestion to check in around 11 so will be one of first on the ship to get rid of your luggage and have lunch on the ship. Then head back out to enjoy Venice. This time take the people mover to P Roma where the Vaparettos or Water buses no 1 or 2 start for a trip down the Grand Canal to St Marks

Based on our experience there will be a lifeboat drill mid afternoon but those who miss it because they are exploring Venice will be "invited" to take part the following morning

not Hlitner but can answer your question

using a water taxi or Alilaguna you wont need to use the people mover as their docks are near the ships-however depending on where your ship is docked it can be a long walk with your luggage.

I would second the suggestion to check in around 11 so will be one of first on the ship to get rid of your luggage and have lunch on the ship. Then head back out to enjoy Venice. This time take the people mover to P Roma where the Vaparettos or Water buses no 1 or 2 start for a trip down the Grand Canal to St Marks

Based on our experience there will be a lifeboat drill mid afternoon but those who miss it because they are exploring Venice will be "invited" to take part the following morning

Thank you so much! We just booked a 2 bdrm apartment in Castello for one night pre-cruise. We hope to spend the first day/night seeing St. Mark's Square, Basilica and Rialto Bridge area. Then catch whatever we miss in that area the following morning before boarding ship. After boarding we hope to see areas of San Polo, Jewish Ghetto and possibly Dorsoduro area if there is time for all of that. Anything you can think of that may be logistically wrong with that scenario??

Thank you so much! We just booked a 2 bdrm apartment in Castello for one night pre-cruise. We hope to spend the first day/night seeing St. Mark's Square, Basilica and Rialto Bridge area. Then catch whatever we miss in that area the following morning before boarding ship. After boarding we hope to see areas of San Polo, Jewish Ghetto and possibly Dorsoduro area if there is time for all of that. Anything you can think of that may be logistically wrong with that scenario??

Nope :)

Hank