Does Migrants Situation Affect Stopover in Piraeus, Greece

Busyjojo

Based on the size and craziness of the port of Pireus….. I doubt it will really make much difference.

As a side note: where the cruise ships dock is somewhat distanced from the rest of the port….. kind of down on one end. On Celebrity (we have been 4 times) we were the last ship before the exit of the harbor area…..

To travel to the historic area of Athens, we have done the metro once, a bus ride thru the cruise line once (this was right after the huge Syntagma square demonstrations) and a private tour twice. I can advise on all…...

• 2 weeks later...
Between the metro and the bus, which do you recommend? We're on the Reflection next month. Thanks!

To clarify - the bus we took was a ship tour called "athens on your own" or something like that. It was basically a bus ride into town and back. It picked us up right at the gangplank (inside the secure dock area) and brought us back the same. We only used this option since we were there literally a few days after the huge riots/demonstations at Syntagma square some years back….. we weren't sure if the metro/taxis etc would be running or on strike. Didn't want to not have a way into and back from town.

There is a bus (a local bus) that goes into town now that was not available when we went that trip.

So not sure if that is a great option or not. Perhaps someone who has used it can comment.

The metro is easy and cheap but it is a long walk and you need to be careful with pickpockets. I personally won't use it again. Not because it was bad but because we have done two private tours here since and we really like being the first ones on the Acropolis (yes the FIRST) and having a driver/guide who gave us so much information, drove us to all the sights and even took us to a restaurant that was truly authentic Greek with mostly locals (which is how we like it).

But you asked about which one is best…… this really depends on your level of DIY. Again, the metro is easy and cheap and I would imagine the local bus is too. The ship tour bus is more expensive but super easy as they pick you up right at the ship. But the private tour is truly the best …… just sayin'

Between the metro and the bus, which do you recommend? We're on the Reflection next month. Thanks!

The new express bus is very easy and the stop is much closer than the metro. If you are going late in the season, check to make sure it is still running as it shuts down once the major tourist season is over. (Sometime in October?)

If you are concerned about getting to the Acropolis early, I have found it very easy to just grab a taxi at the entrance and have them take me straight to the Acropolis -- cost is about 20-25 euro total (not per person). I've arrived there before the gates open and in time to see the soldiers march in and raise the (large) flag. :)

The central historic area of Athens is pretty small and there are many pedestrian-only areas, making it quite friendly to walk around on your own once you get there.

Edited by cruisemom42

The new express bus is very easy and the stop is much closer than the metro. If you are going late in the season, check to make sure it is still running as it shuts down once the major tourist season is over. (Sometime in October?)

If you are concerned about getting to the Acropolis early, I have found it very easy to just grab a taxi at the entrance and have them take me straight to the Acropolis -- cost is about 20-25 euro total (not per person). I've arrived there before the gates open and in time to see the soldiers march in and raise the (large) flag. :)

The central historic area of Athens is pretty small and there are many pedestrian-only areas, making it quite friendly to walk around on your own once you get there.

Take the X80 bus if it's running. There is now a dedicated bus stop outside the terminal. It's 4 euro for a pass which includes the r/t and unlimited on the metro. You can buy from the machine at the bus stop or from the driver. We picked up the first bus at 7a and went directly to the acropolis in about 20 min.

Just got back from a cruise, and were in Athens on Sept 21.

Didn't notice any migrants what so ever. Anywhere.

I know they are still flowing through Greece, but maybe they were taking that Monday off???

We had a private taxi that toured us around Athens. He mentioned that the traffic (which seemed a lot) was nothing compared to pre 2008 traffic. Getting around was pretty easy, and his only concern was a potential flooding of a road (first rain in Athens since may- and it POURED). Wasn't a concern.