Question for CruiseMom or Euro

CathyCruises

We are happily going to find ourselves with four days in Rome between cruises. I really want to go out Tivoli and Hadrian's Villa. Would one of you be so kind as to remind me of the best way to get there? I know there's a bus we can take. Haven't made any reservations yet but I'm sure we will be in or very near to the Centro Storico.

Any advice much appreciated!

Thx Cathy

We took the bus from Ponte Mammolo (reached by metro from Termini) because it drops you just around the corner from Hadrian's Villa (Villa Adriana). The train works well if you are going to Villa d'Este.

It was a little confusing at Ponte Mammolo but we figured it out. I think we had to go downstairs to purchase our tickets, then find our bus in the bays in front of the station. I had printed out a map of the route and tried to follow along so I'd know where to get off but I didn't need to worry about it, the driver made sure we got off at the right place.

Getting back was a little more challenging as the bus doesn't run all that often and it felt like we waited a long time for one to show up. We took a local bus to the depot and changed there for a bus to Rome.

We took the bus from Ponte Mammolo (reached by metro from Termini) because it drops you just around the corner from Hadrian's Villa (Villa Adriana). The train works well if you are going to Villa d'Este.

It was a little confusing at Ponte Mammolo but we figured it out. I think we had to go downstairs to purchase our tickets, then find our bus in the bays in front of the station. I had printed out a map of the route and tried to follow along so I'd know where to get off but I didn't need to worry about it, the driver made sure we got off at the right place.

Getting back was a little more challenging as the bus doesn't run all that often and it felt like we waited a long time for one to show up. We took a local bus to the depot and changed there for a bus to Rome.

Great, thank you. That helps a lot!!

I find the Cotral web site not particularly user friendly but I'll dig around and find the exact bus information if you want it. I'm away this weekend and only have occasional access to the internet but I can do it next week when I get back

Tha would be great, no hurry. Not going to be there til the beginning of November. But that's been on my bucket list the last few visits and I am determined to go this time.

After digging around ad naseum on the Cotral web site (boy does that need a redesign) the only thing I can conclude is that the bus we took to Villa Adriana no longer runs.

The good news is that the buses they suggest get you close enough (three-quarters of a mile) and they run frequently. I actually think this is a better solution than what we did, which got us closer (we only walked about 2/10ths of a mile to the ticket office) but we wasted a lot of time waiting for a bus to get us back.

You start at Ponte Mammmolo (next to the last stop on the metro B line, direction Rebibbia). There is a ticket office in the building where you can purchase the ticket, then go up to the bus bays and find the bus to Tivoli-Largo Saragat.

The list of departures from Ponte Mammolo is here (on page 36/53), you need the ones with the superscript 1 next to them. http://www.cotralspa.it/PDF_Orari_Comune/1509-2212/Tivoli.pdf

Here's the list of stops:

Rebibbia [Metro B] (Roma Ponte Mammolo, Roma)

Tiburtina Rebibbia (Roma Ponte Mammolo, Roma)

Tiburtina Casale San Basilio (Roma Ponte Mammolo, Roma)

Tiburtina Tor Cervara (Roma Ponte Mammolo, Roma)

Tiburtina /via Tivoli (Roma Ponte Mammolo, Roma)

GRA-Uscita 13 Tiburtina (Roma Ponte Mammolo, Roma)

Tiburtina Alenia (Roma)

Tiburtina /via Affile (Roma)

Tiburtina civ.1344 Elettronica (Settecamini, Roma)

Tiburtina (Settecamini, Roma)

Tiburtina /via Tossiccia (Settecamini, Roma)

Tiburtina /via Monte Manno (Settecamini, Roma)

Tiburtina /via Leopardi (Setteville, Guidonia Montecelio)

Tiburtina /T. del Cavaliere (Setteville, Guidonia Montecelio)

Tiburtina Km 17.900 (Castel Arcione, Guidonia Montecelio)

Tiburtina /B.Pontecorvo (Castel Arcione, Guidonia Montecelio)

Tiburtina /Galileo Galilei (Castel Arcione, Guidonia Montecelio)

Tiburtina /via Einaudi (Castel Arcione, Guidonia Montecelio)

Tiburtina /Fratelli Gualandi (Guidonia Montecelio)

Tiburtina /Albuccione (Albuccione, Guidonia Montecelio)

Tiburtina /De Gasperi (Albuccione, Guidonia Montecelio)

Tiburtina /bivio per Guidonia (Bagni di Tivoli, Tivoli)

Tiburtina /Aeronautica (Bagni di Tivoli, Tivoli)

Tiburtina /Terme (Bagni di Tivoli, Tivoli)

Tiburtina /C.so Italia (Villalba, Guidonia Montecelio)

Tiburtina /via Palermo (Villalba, Guidonia Montecelio)

Tiburtina Km 24.500 (Tivoli)

Tiburtina Km 25.000 (Tivoli)

Tiburtina /Ponte Lucano (Ponte Lucano, Tivoli)

Tiburtina /Venezia Tridentina (Villa Adriana, Tivoli)

After digging around ad naseum on the Cotral web site (boy does that need a redesign) the only thing I can conclude is that the bus we took to Villa Adriana no longer runs.

The good news is that the buses they suggest get you close enough (three-quarters of a mile) and they run frequently. I actually think this is a better solution than what we did, which got us closer (we only walked about 2/10ths of a mile to the ticket office) but we wasted a lot of time waiting for a bus to get us back.

You start at Ponte Mammmolo (next to the last stop on the metro B line, direction Rebibbia). There is a ticket office in the building where you can purchase the ticket, then go up to the bus bays and find the bus to Tivoli-Largo Saragat.

The list of departures from Ponte Mammolo is here (on page 36/53), you need the ones with the superscript 1 next to them. http://www.cotralspa.it/PDF_Orari_Comune/1509-2212/Tivoli.pdf

Here's the list of stops:

Rebibbia [Metro B] (Roma Ponte Mammolo, Roma)

Tiburtina Rebibbia (Roma Ponte Mammolo, Roma)

Tiburtina Casale San Basilio (Roma Ponte Mammolo, Roma)

Tiburtina Tor Cervara (Roma Ponte Mammolo, Roma)

Tiburtina /via Tivoli (Roma Ponte Mammolo, Roma)

GRA-Uscita 13 Tiburtina (Roma Ponte Mammolo, Roma)

Tiburtina Alenia (Roma)

Tiburtina /via Affile (Roma)

Tiburtina civ.1344 Elettronica (Settecamini, Roma)

Tiburtina (Settecamini, Roma)

Tiburtina /via Tossiccia (Settecamini, Roma)

Tiburtina /via Monte Manno (Settecamini, Roma)

Tiburtina /via Leopardi (Setteville, Guidonia Montecelio)

Tiburtina /T. del Cavaliere (Setteville, Guidonia Montecelio)

Tiburtina Km 17.900 (Castel Arcione, Guidonia Montecelio)

Tiburtina /B.Pontecorvo (Castel Arcione, Guidonia Montecelio)

Tiburtina /Galileo Galilei (Castel Arcione, Guidonia Montecelio)

Tiburtina /via Einaudi (Castel Arcione, Guidonia Montecelio)

Tiburtina /Fratelli Gualandi (Guidonia Montecelio)

Tiburtina /Albuccione (Albuccione, Guidonia Montecelio)

Tiburtina /De Gasperi (Albuccione, Guidonia Montecelio)

Tiburtina /bivio per Guidonia (Bagni di Tivoli, Tivoli)

Tiburtina /Aeronautica (Bagni di Tivoli, Tivoli)

Tiburtina /Terme (Bagni di Tivoli, Tivoli)

Tiburtina /C.so Italia (Villalba, Guidonia Montecelio)

Tiburtina /via Palermo (Villalba, Guidonia Montecelio)

Tiburtina Km 24.500 (Tivoli)

Tiburtina Km 25.000 (Tivoli)

Tiburtina /Ponte Lucano (Ponte Lucano, Tivoli)

Tiburtina /Venezia Tridentina (Villa Adriana, Tivoli)

Wow, that's fantastic info--thank you so much!! That sounds like a perfect excursion for one of our days.

I can't tell you the last time I took a public bus in the US, it's been years if not decades, but it seems like the best way to travel in many parts of Europe. It seems like we use them more in Rome than anywhere else, maybe because the metro system is limited. In any event, I really appreciate all your trouble! ;)

Cathy, I would've posted sooner but I've just gotten back from a trip to Romania to visit archaeological sites there. :) At any rate, eurocruiser has already done the heavy lifting.

I will add that the audio guide at Villa Adriana is good and gives you the opportunity to walk around the site as you like and pause to listen to things of interest.

Also, if you are making a day of it, I suggest an early start to Villa Adriana, then if the day is fine, going into Tivoli itself and having an excellent and leisurely late lunch on the terrace at Sibilla, a restaurant that overlooks two gorgeous Roman temples. I was just there in June and it was delicious. The views are one of a kind.

Photo: http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/04/61/92/12/sibilla.jpg

Reviews: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187792-d1732571-r199413957-Sibilla-Tivoli_Province_of_Rome_Lazio.html