Tables for two on EOS

SeattleJ

There are tables for 2 on Explorer. We were on DaGama level (level 2 of 3) and there were tables for 2 along the railing overlooking the lower level. Generally the tables along the windows were large (8 plus). Explorer is in drydock this week for refurbishment so who knows what will change. I don't remember any tables for 2 being empty so availability may be the issue. Go to the dining room when you board the ship and get your request in ASAP.

For your information, a table for 2 is definitely not always available. My wife and I were on the Voyager of the Seas two weeks ago and we requested a table for 2 because we were celebrating an anniversary and we wanted some privacy.

To make a long story short, we arrived on the ship around 3 pm and went to the dining room immediately to make our request. The waiter there told us to come back after the muster drill. When we did come back at that time, the maitre'd essentially laughed at us and said that because we booked so late(July) and because we arrived late on the ship, there was no way that they would give us the table. They took down our names anyway and of course we never got a table for 2. We thought that the maitre'd could've said this in a more respectful way and not had to make us feel so dumb or something but whatever. Not exactly the best way to start a cruise....

So perhaps a lesson to be learned from this is if you want a table for 2 go early and book early, or else you take your chances...

I know the list was a mile long on the Enchantment when we went and the Maitre D was telling everyone it wasn't going to happen, medical condition or not (although I'm not sure what medical condition would require you to have a table for two, but whatever). Frankly, I don't understand the need for a table to two. You go on a cruise knowing you will have to sit in large groups, so take advantage of it, make friends, get to know some other people. The ship is only so big, if everyone wanted a table for two, there would be room for nothing else. Just my two cents, I know I will get flamed for it but oh well.

Eric

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I find the previous comment from EricE30 interesting. I can think of many wonderful reasons for going on a cruise, but eating with a large group of strangers doesn't make the list. Perhaps it's because, as part of my job, I have meals in nice restaurants with groups of people that I either don't know or barely know, but I don't see it as a benefit of a cruise. Actually, I only see two negatives in cruising. First, they don't allow a person to really experience anything of the actual culture of the places they are visiting. You can see some sites, but when you and 4000 of your friends decend on a port for 6 to 7 hours, that's about the best you can hope for. The second negative is that several cruise lines (although the number is getting smaller) still assign seats for the main meal and seat people in large groups. We address the first concern by not taking cruises every year and in the "off years" renting a condo on one of the islands, in Mexico or in another country. This allows us to eat where the locals do, shop where they do and get to know them. It's a different-not better-- experience than cruising. We address the second negative by doing what we'll do on this one. Go with the flow and not get upset about it. We'll have a couple of meals at Portofino's, perhaps one on the balcony and deal quite well with the others. It's just a matter of preference, but no big thing.

just curious why would you want a table for two? I like to meet different people on board and learn their different cultures. I can always have a table for two at a fine dining rest. at home. As I said just curious?

linda

A question for all those who ask "why do you want a table for two?" or insist that because we are cruising we need to sit at a large table and meet people: First, what difference does it make why someone wants a table for two? Could be a honeymoon/anniversary, maybe a couple just wants to be alone, or perhaps someone is shy in large social gatherings. But again, that's up to them (or in our case, us) and really no one else's business. Second, why do some people think that, seemingly, there is something "wrong" with people who don't want to sit at a large table of strangers? I can understand if you want to say, "We've really enjoyed meeting people on our cruises" or something, but really this constant attempt to make other people enjoy dining the same way that you (general you, no one specific) do? Frankly, it almost seems like some posters are trying to make those of us who prefer small tables feel bad about our choices. Please, if someone wants a small table, that is their right and their choice. Can't we leave it at that?

(To spatz--linda: I know you say you are just curious, and I believe you, but why do you want to know? I don't think your question is wrong or rude, but it's immaterial, IMO. And this post is not directed at you specifically in any way. This questioning of others' personal choices is a frequent thing.)

beachchick

Sorry if i offended anyone . I was just asking . I guess I should be more careful what I ask. Sorry it won't happen again. I really didn't think it was that big of deal. Again please accept my appoligizes.

just linda

A question for all those who ask "why do you want a table for two?" or insist that because we are cruising we need to sit at a large table and meet people: First, what difference does it make why someone wants a table for two? Could be a honeymoon/anniversary, maybe a couple just wants to be alone, or perhaps someone is shy in large social gatherings. But again, that's up to them (or in our case, us) and really no one else's business. Second, why do some people think that, seemingly, there is something "wrong" with people who don't want to sit at a large table of strangers? I can understand if you want to say, "We've really enjoyed meeting people on our cruises" or something, but really this constant attempt to make other people enjoy dining the same way that you (general you, no one specific) do? Frankly, it almost seems like some posters are trying to make those of us who prefer small tables feel bad about our choices. Please, if someone wants a small table, that is their right and their choice. Can't we leave it at that?

(To spatz--linda: I know you say you are just curious, and I believe you, but why do you want to know? I don't think your question is wrong or rude, but it's immaterial, IMO. And this post is not directed at you specifically in any way. This questioning of others' personal choices is a frequent thing.)

beachchick

I feel the same way, I HATE sitting with strangers, it just puts an awkward feeling to the whole dining experience. My husband and I are pretty shy and I don't really care about meeting new people that I will never see again. If that adds to your experience, fine, but it just detracts from mine. I wish RCCL had open dining, but I love everything else about their cruises and they have the itineraries I want for our cruises so we just deal with it. I'm sooo hoping to get a table for 2 on our next cruise!;)

just curious why would you want a table for two? I like to meet different people on board and learn their different cultures. I can always have a table for two at a fine dining rest. at home. As I said just curious?

linda

One reason I like a table for 2 (which we were lucky enough to get on the NOS) is that my husband is extremely shy. He really doesn't talk to strangers. Many people perceive him as being rude and it makes them uncomfortable....it's just easier to have a table for 2.

I also like that we do not have to wait for tablemates if they are late.

DH and I have also have very hectic schedules at home and there are times where a week will go by and we will not have had dinner together 1 night!

We found we would meet people, have a drink, chat with fellow CC's, etc. but that it was relaxing after a day in port to have a quiet meal alone in the dining room.

If on the next cruise we don't get a table for 2 it won't "ruin" my cruise or anything but it remains my preference.

Cheers,

I love tables for 2 my hubbie and i eat with a large group everyday for lunch at our jobs (we teach school and both have lunch duty) plus we have kids so it is rare for teh 2 of us to eat alone.. as flor getting a table for 2 good luck we booked out last cruise 1 year in advance. and are C&A diamond members band we went to the maitred as soon as we got on the ship @ 12:00 we still did not get it.....

I also think that it's wonderful to meet new people and sit with other people at dinner. I can be alone with my SO anytime. On our last cruise we met two wonderful couples and dinner was the highlight of every day. We had dinner alone one night at Portofino's, but were almost the last ones out of the dining room on the rest of the nights. Everyone has their own likes/dislikes.

Sorry if i offended anyone . I was just asking . I guess I should be more careful what I ask. Sorry it won't happen again. I really didn't think it was that big of deal. Again please accept my appoligizes.

just linda

Oh no, no! You did not offend...if I gave you that impression, I owe you an apology. Truly, my post was not aimed at you specifically in any way. It's just that I've read sooo many posts where posters are requested, over and over, to defend their right to want a table for two. I know you were asking out of simple curiousity and not saying "what's the matter with you that you want a table for two?" (Although believe me, it's come down to that more than once on other threads.)

Again, please accept my apology if I gave you the wrong impression.:o

beachchick

Oh no, no! You did not offend...if I gave you that impression, I owe you an apology. Truly, my post was not aimed at you specifically in any way. It's just that I've read sooo many posts where posters are requested, over and over, to defend their right to want a table for two. I know you were asking out of simple curiousity and not saying "what's the matter with you that you want a table for two?" (Although believe me, it's come down to that more than once on other threads.)

Again, please accept my apology if I gave you the wrong impression.:o

beachchick

I'm not upset. Thank-you for getting back. I just like seeing the different reasons without trying to put anyone down. I agree with the person that aid her husband is shy. My is too. People often thought he was rude when he did not start upa conversation. Now my husband can't speak due to a stroke so sometimes that is a little akward but we manage to cope. Generally when they know this they are quite kind.

I did not take yor answer as a put down. I feel life is too short to be critical of people. I love life and have been given a second chance with my best friend Tom my husband.

Have a wonderful week .

just linda

"Just linda": Phew! I'm glad we understand each other. I hate it when I unintentionally hurt someone's feelings.

Good for you for taking the attitude you have after your DH's stroke. I understand what you mean, as I almost lost my DH at one time and am so grateful every day that I didn't. He is my best friend too and after more than 20 years, we still prefer each other's company to just about anyone else's. (Although, we'd be glad to dine with you and your DH any time.)

Happy cruising and may you have many more to come. :)

beachchick

I love the tables for two! we have been married for 26 years and just love the privacy and own conversation! We are not totally shy people, but just want as much US time as possible! we just were on the NCL STAR and loved the freestyle dining, we always had a table for two, and ate when we wanted to.

so I feel like many of you, just like our table for two, even after 26 years, its special !

My husband and I enjoy a table for two. We meet many people around the ship especially at the pool. Dinnertime we like to discuss our plans for the following day.

Previous Cruises:

Diamond Member -leaving 10/30 Brillance-Mediterrean-back to back

25 days :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Elite Member

Archived