Port of Leith

socreader

We will be arriving to the Port of Leith on the Silhouette next August for an overnight for the Tatoo. We will be on our own and not taking the ship's excursion since it is sold out already. I was advised there is a train to Edinburgh but cannot find it. What are your suggestions for getting into Edinburgh and the Castle ? Taxi? Which company? Bus? What number for the route? The approximate cost of each if you know would be very helpful.

You are actually in Edinburgh when you dock in Leith, but I'm really surprised to hear you're there because Leith never usually accepts ships of that size. This year Celebrity ships were at anchor in the Forth and tendered into Newhaven, which is about 10 mins west of Leith.

I posted a thread about Newhaven after I was there recently (I'm a cruise volunteer) and included info about getting into the city centre etc. I'll post the link here but if you find it's definitely Leith, I can give you lots of info about buses etc. there.

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2231904

The Tattoo sells out fairly quickly and as you'll only have one evening in the run that you can go to, I'd strongly advise you book as soon as bookings open.

http://www.edintattoo.co.uk/tickets/

Let me know if you need any more info

Edited by tartanexile81

You are actually in Edinburgh when you dock in Leith, but I'm really surprised to hear you're there because Leith never usually accepts ships of that size. This year Celebrity ships were at anchor in the Forth and tendered into Newhaven, which is about 10 mins west of Leith.

I posted a thread about Newhaven after I was there recently (I'm a cruise volunteer) and included info about getting into the city centre etc. I'll post the link here but if you find it's definitely Leith, I can give you lots of info about buses etc. there.

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2231904

The Tattoo sells out fairly quickly and as you'll only have one evening in the run that you can go to, I'd strongly advise you book as soon as bookings open.

http://www.edintattoo.co.uk/tickets/

Let me know if you need any more info

Thank you for your information. I will keep checking with Celebrity as to where we actually will dock.

• 5 months later...

Hello Socreader,

Thanks for your offer to advise. We will be docking in Leith with Azamara in July (overnight 5-6th). Any tips for getting to town from the dock and anything else you'd like to share would be much appreciated. we are walkers and wouldn't shy away from using our feet. Haven't been to Edinburgh in over 30 years so I'm really excited to revisit a place that remains vivid in my memory.

We will also be visiting Kirkwall and Portree.

Edited by auntiemjo

Hello Socreader,

Thanks for your offer to advise. We will be docking in Leith with Azamara in July (overnight 5-6th). Any tips for getting to town from the dock and anything else you'd like to share would be much appreciated. we are walkers and wouldn't shy away from using our feet. Haven't been to Edinburgh in over 30 years so I'm really excited to revisit a place that remains vivid in my memory.

We will also be visiting Kirkwall and Portree.

You will dock at the Port of Leith, Silhouette will tender at this port.

You need to take a bus or taxi to get to Royal Mile or other attractions in town.

IMG_1061.jpg

IMG_1063.jpg

• 7 months later...

I am booked on a Black Watch (Fred Olsen) cruise next December. Remember been to Leith some years ago to visit HMY Britannia and wondering if the ship berths near the ex Royal Yacht. Also heard that there is a shopping center next to it now. Does anybody has any further info? Thanks!

I am booked on a Black Watch (Fred Olsen) cruise next December. Remember been to Leith some years ago to visit HMY Britannia and wondering if the ship berths near the ex Royal Yacht. Also heard that there is a shopping center next to it now. Does anybody has any further info? Thanks!

Fred Olsen no longer use Leith, they dock at Roysth on the other side of the Forth.

Only the Cruise Terminal there no shops ect.

Fred Olsen no longer use Leith, they dock at Roysth on the other side of the Forth.

Only the Cruise Terminal there no shops ect.

Fred Olsen is using Leith in December as a one-off as they're there for the Hogmanay celebrations. However they're currently home-porting in Rosyth for their cruises to Norway etc and that is where they nearly always dock.

Yes the Royal Yacht Britannia is next to where you dock- well just round the corner. You access it from the second floor of the shopping centre which is called Ocean Terminal

You'll find info here about the port: http://www.cruiseforth.com

Edited by tartanexile81

Fred Olsen is using Leith in December as a one-off as they're there for the Hogmanay celebrations. However they're currently home-porting in Rosyth for their cruises to Norway etc and that is where they nearly always dock.

Yes the Royal Yacht Britannia is next to where you dock- well just round the corner. You access it from the second floor of the shopping centre which is called Ocean Terminal

You'll find info here about the port: http://www.cruiseforth.com

Ah Tartanexile you are much wiser than me. I stupidly made the assumed that it was a cruise leaving from Edinburgh.

Should have checked my facts first!!!

Jackie