Baby cot on Princess ships

stefwano

i will be travelling on the Golden Princess out of Sydney in November and have organised a cot of my 14 month old. Has anyone used one of The cots provided by Princess before and if so are they any good? Are they like a porta cot and what are the mattress like? I have also been offered a bed with a rail, am I better off with this option maybe

i will be travelling on the Golden Princess out of Sydney in November and have organised a cot of my 14 month old. Has anyone used one of The cots provided by Princess before and if so are they any good? Are they like a porta cot and what are the mattress like? I have also been offered a bed with a rail, am I better off with this option maybe

It's like what is called in the US a Pack-n-Play. It doesn't have a very good mattress in it. More like a foam pad. We have used it once, but the baby (now 2) hated it and insisted on sleeping with a grownup.

It's a pack and play. You might want to check to make sure it is built, as it wasn't on one of our cruises, and it is really hard to flag down a room steward as everyone is boarding. They are a pain to build yourself, and not the first thing you want to do while on a cruise (but you will do it if your kid needs to get down for a nap immediately). Also, you should bring your own sheets, since this helps kids adjust and there might not be any sheets at embarkation (different cruise experience). They will have sheets by nighttime, but if your kid naps you might want a pack n play sheet.

It's a pack and play. You might want to check to make sure it is built, as it wasn't on one of our cruises, and it is really hard to flag down a room steward as everyone is boarding. They are a pain to build yourself, and not the first thing you want to do while on a cruise (but you will do it if your kid needs to get down for a nap immediately). Also, you should bring your own sheets, since this helps kids adjust and there might not be any sheets at embarkation (different cruise experience). They will have sheets by nighttime, but if your kid naps you might want a pack n play sheet.

Thanks for the info. My son will be 10 months on his first cruise and I was wondering what type of cot princess offered. I'm thinking he may end up sleeping in a regular bed.

Not sure if you know or not that the "bed with rail" or 3rd regular bed in most cabins on princess (except mini-suites and suites) is a pull down bunk from the ceiling. It has a small railing. There is no room in the cabin for a rollaway and I don't think they even have any roll aways on board most of the ships. Even trying to squeeze the pack n play in is tough - floor space is limited!

I'm assuming you are a couple with a child -- With three people in a cabin you have to book a triple so the pull down bunk will be there whether you use it or not.

If you book a triple or quad minisuite or full suite the sofa is a pullout.

Not sure if you know or not that the "bed with rail" or 3rd regular bed in most cabins on princess (except mini-suites and suites) is a pull down bunk from the ceiling. It has a small railing. There is no room in the cabin for a rollaway and I don't think they even have any roll aways on board most of the ships. Even trying to squeeze the pack n play in is tough - floor space is limited!

I'm assuming you are a couple with a child -- With three people in a cabin you have to book a triple so the pull down bunk will be there whether you use it or not.

If you book a triple or quad minisuite or full suite the sofa is a pullout.

I had originally thought that if a baby just used a pack-n-play that princess offered, than you didn't need a 3 person room. Unfortunately, I was wrong so technically the baby will be staying with my mom, who is in her own room. I have a year to figure out the exact sleeping arrangements.

If you decide on Pac N Play, bring your own. There has been safety issues with older ones and recalls(collapsing). I wouldn't use one on the ship.I would see if the baby can nap in one before the cruise, to see if that works. If you can afford a mini suite, do that instead. Worse scenerio, bring a baby railing , part slips under a beds mattress to hold the rail.They fold up, are lightweight. Go to Babies R Us and check out your options.

If you decide on Pac N Play, bring your own. There has been safety issues with older ones and recalls(collapsing). I wouldn't use one on the ship.I would see if the baby can nap in one before the cruise, to see if that works. If you can afford a mini suite, do that instead. Worse scenerio, bring a baby railing , part slips under a beds mattress to hold the rail.They fold up, are lightweight. Go to Babies R Us and check out your options.

Could a pac n play be checked with other luggage?

I agree with the poster that said to bring your own sheets. I would bring your own baby blanket as well. The bedding they use for the baby is the same they use for an adult. Your stuff is going to be softer and smell like home. Also, don't forget to bring the favorite stuffed toys. When you pack diapers use they as fillers in ALL the suitcases. A couple here, a couple there. That way if a suitcase goes missing you can still change the baby. You can get a diaper smeller thing from BabiesRUs that keeps the room from smelling with dirty diapers.

If there is a favorite food item bring that. Since you are traveling to Australia make sure it is prepacked only. You do not want to meet that dog at the airport. If the baby is still eating baby food jars, you can pre-order those on Princess.

We have a thing for my grand daughter called a Kidco peapod plus. It is sort of a little tent with a sleeping pad inside. Easily folds up into a carry bag. Much better in a stateroom than a pack and play. Amazon has them for around 100$. Jane is very happy in hers.

On the Royal it was a pack n play which has a very thin mat type mattress.

Please also note that when their diapers need changing you will have to do this in your cabin as there are no baby changing facilities at all!!!

Never thought about having to change diapers only in the room...that may be a little inconvenient. Oh well, if I complain too much about no changing facilities, I may as well switch to Disney. :)