Cozumel Dolphin swim and snorkel vs Dolphin Swim Experience

ssierullo

My question is regarding the difference between these two shore excursions from RCCL that appear to be identical. Please explain the difference if any. The portion that we would enjoy the most is when we can hold on to the dolphins and swim with them. If one of them would do this longer or better please let me know.

Dolphin Swim and Snorkel Adventure -3 hours and 30 minutes $145.00 pp

Dolphin Swim Experience 3 hours $145.00 pp

My husband and sister took the girls on the tour in 2004 and they loved it.

We booked the Royal Dolphin swim directly w/ Dolphin discovery.

This allowed a younger niece to participate. Due to ship liability insurance the age to participate was a few years older than the company's policy.

Dolphin Discovery was very organized and professional. We have a great video of them and they had a small group I think like 6 folks and alot contact w/ the animals. http://www.dolphindiscovery.com should get you there.

Are you sure both are priced at $145? I thought there were two different prices. The lower-priced one (around $100, I thought) is where you just walk out to the end of the gantry and pat the dolphin and have your picture taken with it; the more expensive one adds the element of you getting pulled around by the dolphin and getting to snorkel with the dolphin swimming around you. That was my impression.

If I remember correrctly...It is the Chakanuub(sp) park that has the snorkle area, I have not looked back to see what RCCI offers...but what i recall is that you can do the royal swim,,,that definately includes hands on dolphin time, and then on your own you can rent snorkle equip and snorkle in the park (not w/ dolphins). As I said we booked directly w/ dolphin discovery, and it is a bit cheaper, but if you want the extra snorkle time, and you do book on your own just get a later taxi back. We bought the video, which i think ran about... $50, but the kids really liked looking back on it.

We booked our dolphin swim directly with Dolphin discovery too and you do save over the RCI one and at least when we went in May of 03 you did not do as much with the RCI excursion as what we did. We actually got in the water with the dolphins and were kissed by them and pushed by their noses and held onto their fins to be pulled by the dolphins and also held the bar up for them to jump over. At that point in time the ships excursion was strictly an encounter which had you just stroke the dolphins and be kissed by them and little more. Ours was a much more extensive program than the one the ship offered. Before booking I would suggest you check out the Dolphin Discovery website and see what they are offering vs. the one RCI is offering. They may have changed it since we did it but ours was an AWESOME experience and I would highly recommend you do it at least once. We were so impressed we bought the video AND the pictures. Something I will treasure for the rest of my life....................truly great.........MJN

Agree with the other posts - book this yourself. We did the Royal Swim in March and it was great. As we were finishing up, this huge group was arriving - the group who booked thru the cruiseline.

The park is very easy to get to via cab from the port. My daughter and I were able to go without my husband, and we felt absolutely safe, and had no problems with the cabs, etc.

While you're there, there is also a nice open air mexican restaurant.

We had a very nice time at Chankanaab.

We booked the royal dolphin swim thru dolphindiscovery.com for our upcomming cruise. $125 per person ~ from what I've read on these boards the "royal" gives the most hands-on interaction. DD cant wait!! :)

Does anyone know if the video includes just your party or are other families/groups in it too?

Thanks!

My husband and I did this last year, and it was wonderful. They video tape the whole session and you get to watch everybody. That's why the video gods made the fast forward button. It's a nice tape and they dub music on it. I highly recommend the Royal Swim through Dolphin Discovery. On our cruise next May I have already booked this excursion for my two sons, 23 and 21, and my mother and sister who are travelling with us. These are truly amazing animals.:)

Archived