Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras Port

mickeychicky

What is the best(longest) way to see and interact with the monkey's? Do we book the gumbalimba park tour, or do we visit Victor Bodden's monkey farm?

In Maya Key everyone gets to go in the monkey cage if they want. You are only in it with 2 or 3 monkeys for a couple of minutes. Time enough for them to jump all over you and get a few photos!!

Several years ago I learned about a shop from folks on our CC Roll Call called Made in Roatan. It's located in the shopping area just outside of the cruise port entrance. Everything they sell is made from the residents of Roatan.

No matter what you pick up in the store to inquire about, the shop owner can tell you all about who made it and their background. I purchased a beautiful carving that, to this day, is one of my favorite purchases in all my travels. Their prices are not expensive, and they give the money made back to the artist.

http://www.made-in-roatan.com/all-about/the-made-in-roatan-shop

Most tour operators will ask if you want to be dropped off in the shopping area or at the port. It's just a short walk from there to the ship.

We always use Victor Bodden tours. Price is great and they take you where you want to go. We asked for a restaurant with great lobster and he took us to one overlooking the water, it was great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you know where you got the lobster? I plan to have lobster in every port!

Roatan is a pretty good port. The Faux shopping port is a joke. However I am NOT afraid of the town. I have walked about three blocks down and more on one trip. However the shopping is within the first couple of blocks. I love shopping with the real people, they need my money a LOT more than the junk in the port. I also find some unique shirts and items in town. Yes... they are pushy at time, and the kids can be a real pest. However a simple no thank you and just move on is enough and they move on. Just don't let them "attach" them selves to you or they are hard to get rid of. There is a two story shopping mall with MANY booths upstairs and it is very safe, along with lots of items for sale. A great one stop shop.

We love the Maya Kay tour. It is a VERY well done place and only a two minute boat ride from the dock. Snorkeling is stunning there and the small recovery zoo and faux mayan ruins are fun.

Enjoy Roatan. You can hire a taxi for next to nothing there and they will take you any where you wish to go.