MSC Drinks Package - Advice On Buying In Advance

martin4356111

Evening all,

I've just returned from 11 nights on the Splendida, review to follow soon. However, I wanted to pass on some info reference the drinks package.

We were encouraged to buy the drinks package in advance in order to save money, mainly through emails from the cruise line. Buying in advance saved us paying the 15% service charge, the Alegrissimo package costing £22 per day for an adult and £11 per day for a child.

On the ship, the price was €22.60 per day per adult and €11.30 per day per child. On top of this was your 15% service charge.

So now for the maths. Buying it in advance cost £242 per adult and £121 for an 11 day cruise, a total of £605 for our family (2 adults and 1 child).

Buying on the ship was €248.60 per adult and €124.30 per child. A total of €621.50. Now add the 15% service charge (€93.23) and the total is €714.73. Convert that to pounds and its £533.38.

So by taking MSC's advice any buying in advance to save money, your actually over £70 worse off.

Not a massive amount I know, but its the point that MSC made out we were getting a better deal by buying in advance.

Anyway, I hope this makes sense and the package is well worth the money

Martin

martin4256111 wrote-

Evening all,

I've just returned from 11 nights on the Splendida, review to follow soon. However, I wanted to pass on some info reference the drinks package.

We were encouraged to buy the drinks package in advance in order to save money, mainly through emails from the cruise line. Buying in advance saved us paying the 15% service charge, the Alegrissimo package costing £22 per day for an adult and £11 per day for a child.

On the ship, the price was €22.60 per day per adult and €11.30 per day per child. On top of this was your 15% service charge.

So now for the maths. Buying it in advance cost £242 per adult and £121 for an 11 day cruise, a total of £605 for our family (2 adults and 1 child).

Buying on the ship was €248.60 per adult and €124.30 per child. A total of €621.50. Now add the 15% service charge (€93.23) and the total is €714.73. Convert that to pounds and its £533.38.

So by taking MSC's advice any buying in advance to save money, your actually over £70 worse off.

Not a massive amount I know, but its the point that MSC made out we were getting a better deal by buying in advance.

Anyway, I hope this makes sense and the package is well worth the money

Martin

I found it was overall cheaper to upgrade a balcony cabin from Fantastica to Aurea, so it's worth doing the maths before booking!!!

It was a no-brainer!!!

My cruise next April cost me:-

balcony Aurea 14 nights = £808pp (which includes the Allegrisimo package)

balcony Fantastica (at the time I booked) = £640pp (no drinks included)

difference between Fantastica and Aurea = £168pp

Allegrissimo 14 nights X £22 pppn = £308pp

SO balcony fantastica + drinks = £640 +£308 = £948pp

SAving = £140pp (plus you get all the extras of the Aurea)

TOTAL SAVING £280 ($425)

Pete

Edited by Skier52

It was always better to prebook as an onboard service as you paid in euros onboard and avoided the service charge. They removed that option and now you can only prebuy in stg but you still avoid the service charge.

The trouble is that they peg the exchange rate early on and it remains the same for a long time. When the pound is stronger, as you found, it can work out cheaper buying onboard and paying the charge. Likewise it can work the other way were to pound to weaken against the euro.

So I agree, get your calculator out before deciding on prebuy in got waiting until you get onboard. I also suggest you make the decision close to the cruise, unless you are an expert at forecasting exchange rates or are in possession of a crystal bar.

Whichever way you buy it, you can save a lot with Allegrissimo even if you are not a heavy drinker.

Sidari wrote:-

I am sure I read in the MSC online brochure that Allegrissimo package is £20 pp!

You are absolutely right. It is in the 2016/2017 brochure

But the current price is still £22 as the cut and paste from the UK web site shows

FANTASTIC ALL INCLUSIVE DRINKS PACKAGE FROM JUST £22 PER PERSON, PER NIGHT!

BOOK YOUR ALLEGRISSIMO PACKAGE TODAY

It’s the little touches that often make a holiday and our 'Allegrissimo' All Inclusive drinks package is one of those little things that goes a long way. Starting from just £22pppn these all inclusive drinks packages are the perfect additional to your cruise holiday. You can kick start the day with a delicious iced coffee, relax with a cocktail on deck, enjoy a glass of wine at lunch or dinner or why not round things off in style with a brandy?

Don’t forget, we also have a range of other drinks packages to suit all.

ALL INCLUSIVE DRINKS PACKAGE - PERFECT FOR FAMILIES

We probably don’t need to tell you how expensive it can be buying food and drinks for your entire family throughout your holiday. And that’s exactly why we think all inclusive cruises are a real winner with families. You pay up front and you won’t see a bill for anything you buy within the limits of the all inclusive package: no need to start running up a bill on soft drinks, designer water, glasses of wine or cocktails from the bars. Non premium brand spirits are included too, so that a gin and tonic or a martini are covered!

Better still, book before you cruise and the All Inclusive drinks package includes your service charge.

ALL INCLUSIVE 'ALLEGRISSIMO' DRINKS FOR ADULTSPRICE PER PERSON PER NIGHTAllegrissimo Adults Drinks Package

Allegrissimo Premium Adults Drinks Package

£22.00

£37.00

ALL INCLUSIVE 'ALLEGRISSIMO' FOR KIDSPRICE PER CHILD PER NIGHTAll Inclusive Kids Package

All Inclusive Premium Kids Package£10.00

£18.00

This is what the 2016/2017 brochure says

Capture3.jpg

Pete

Edited by Skier52