2 Questions about CP (Horizon Court / Ice Cream)...

kbisok

We are saling the Caribbean Princes this summer and after reading reviews and comment i got a few questions;

1. Is the Horizon court open for dinner as a buffet ? I read some reviews that it's closed at dinner. If it is open, is the food the same as at the RCCL windjammer ????

2. Can you get free Ice Cream from a machine somwehere ? I read something there is only ice cream for a fee...? On RCCL you can get both...

THANKS !

Carnival Triumph 01/02
Mistral (Festival Cruises) 05/02
Navigator of the Seas 01/03
Serenade of the Seas 08/03
Caribbean Princess 08/04

Hi, I was recently on the Grand so I am assuming that the setup is the same. Yes, the Horizon court is set up as a dinner buffet. It changes 5 times a day (breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner, snack). The food is very good here. They offered icecream there everyday from 3:30-4:30 (chocolate and vanilla with sprinkles and syrup). Haagen Dazs is always always available for sale at the icecream shop.

Just off the Golden 4/10 . . . same set up as ginak112 mentioned on the Grand.

We always had the FREE icecream served from 3:30-4:30 in the Horizon also!

Even when we weren't looking to eat we always cruised by the Horizon Buffet back & forth from our room. One night to our surprise they had these huge beautiful chocolate dipped strawberries.
Another time they had the filled peach dessert that was served for dinner & out of this world . . .
THe fruit cravings & displays also got better as the week went on & it was fun to see as we cruised by.
Also a few mornings the Horizon had wonderful eggs benedict!
All & all worth a trip through the Horizon at least a couple times a day.
Laurie

Both times I sailed RCCL - there was ice milk 24 hours a day but it was the runniest and the most tasteless ice cream I have ever experienced.

Princess makes their own ice cream and they have it in the dining room every lunch and dinner time. Plus - they have make your own sundaes in the Horizon Court in the afternoon. This is awesome ice cream - home made.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Princess .. Plus - they have make your own sundaes in the Horizon Court in the afternoon. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Not all of the Princess ships have this available.

Future cruises:
Sept. 04 Star Princess x 2
Jan. 05 Diamond Princess
July 05 Star Princess
Aug. 05 Star Pincess

Past cruises:
04 Dawn Princess x 2
03 Grand,Sun,Tahitian,
Royal Princess x 2,Island Princess
01 Ryndam x 2
00 Sky Princess
79 Sitmar's Fairwind

Just got back from the Grand and I regret to report that the ice cream bar shuts down at 7 p.m. There was a sundae bar in the Horizon Court one night when they were having a deck party, but it is hard to satisfy that craving at night. OTOH, the ice cream is very good on the ship when you can get it. I never got around to trying the mudslide, but it sounded awesome.

I actually have had make your own sundaes on the Sun, Grand, Golden and Coral Princess (Mexico, Caribbean and Alaska). It has been on all the cruises I have been on. Though I have known people who have not known about it to take advantage of it.

I agree w/ Coral the "make your own sundae" is every afternoon on all Princess ships. It is a make shift little roll on table w/ 2 servers . . . "homemade" vanilla & chocolate ice cream with carmel or chocolate toppings & sprinkles.

It is not advertised anywhere . . . we found out because our beverage server in the dining room was one of the sundae servers & told us about the timing & locaton!
Again there is no cost & only available 3:30-=4:30 . . .
I always found it amazing to stroll right past the Ice cream Parlor (where everything cost $) right into the Horizon buffet & get similiar sundeas for FREE!
Laurie

Thanks for the info, i found the RCCL ice cream tasty so we'll be in for a treat. But whe have to eat fast (on RCCL it's avaiable all day and boy did we eat ice cream...).

Does anybody have info that has been on the Carribean Princess...

I'm still worried the Horizon Court is closed on this ship... since the reviews said that...

Carnival Triumph 01/02
Mistral (Festival Cruises) 05/02
Navigator of the Seas 01/03
Serenade of the Seas 08/03
Caribbean Princess 08/04

Kbiosk - instread of the Horizon Court at night - I believe they have Cafe Caribe.

Here is where the info was from:

[url="http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na667&submit=pk"]http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na667&submit=pk[/url]

• Café Caribe -- Unique to Caribbean Princess, and an industry first, this themed buffet captures the tastes of the Caribbean. This elegant but casual dining option, located at the aft end of the ship's Horizon Court area, presents a changing menu of Caribbean themes with specialties such as Grilled Caribbean Rock Lobster, Paella-Style Prawns, Whole Roast Suckling Pig, Jerk Chicken, Guiana Pepperpots and Curries, and many more local favorites. Sporting colorful Caribbean décor and live music, the space features an open kitchen where passengers can order their meal cooked to their specifications.

Just back from CP. Ice cream is not free. They have a booth and you have to pay. It was the only complaint we heard on the ship. The buffet is open in different parts at different times. there are 3 buffet lines. So you can get something from at least one of them all the time.

Yes . . . HC from 3:30-4:30 everyday . . . timing is everything!
There is the ice cream Parlor also on the ships (which charge a fee) however in the HC there is no charge!
When we sailed the first time on the Grand we also missed this pleasure . . . not this time on the Golden .. . hit the rolling ice cream cart EVERYDAY! Mmmmmm
Laurie

Archived