Seeking input as to which cruise

partigus

My wife and I have taken one cruise in the past on the Norwegian Sea in 2002. At this time the Sea was one of the older ships out there but we had a great time. One day in port we were were moored next to Norwegians newest and largest ship the Dawn. I remember being on the pool deck of the sea and looking over and being on the same level as the lower balconies on the Dawn (Sea was about 44k GTD vs Dawn at 93ish)

Fast forward- we now have 3 daughters (14,10,10). And have been waiting for the kids to get to a good age for a cruise. We REALLY want to take the to Alaska, but before spending THAT kind of money want to make sure the kids like cruising so are looking at a cruise or two before hand. Given our family size, we are looking at 2 cabins or larger suites on most ships.

We wanted to go out of NOLA or Galveston so we can drive to the port. What do I find? The very same Dawn we were moored next to years ago, with newly renovated family suites that sleep up to 6. Then i find out the Suite perks, so I booked a cruise for Thanksgiving week 2015 in a heartbeat. When Oil prices bottomed I rebooked getting UBP, UDP, 50% off 3,4,5 guests, free gratuities, and an OBC.

Thats at the background (sorry to be so wordy). When I rebooked the cruise, I also booked the exact same cruise for Thanksgiving 2016 and a 5 night out of Tampa for Dec 2017 on the STAR(we have family in FL and talked about visiting for XMAS then a cruise)

Well, with the Star being replaced in Tampa with the Jade, that leaves us with SJ class cabin. I rebooked in an SC (for a reasonable price increase) and got to keep all the existing add ons.

So my question (finally) is if we have to pick one (which we likely will for scheduling reasons)..your thoughts on which one to keep?

7 Night on Dawn in a SJ for $5300 for the same iten as this year Cozumel, Roaton, Harvest Caye )(this will be in place of Belize city) and Costa maya

OR 5 night on Jade in an SC for $3700 Key West and Cozymel out of Tampa (interestingly- while my wife and I are both from FL, neigh have been to Key West)

Perks are the same for both-

Thoughts???

thanks!

My wife and I have taken one cruise in the past on the Norwegian Sea in 2002. At this time the Sea was one of the older ships out there but we had a great time. One day in port we were were moored next to Norwegians newest and largest ship the Dawn. I remember being on the pool deck of the sea and looking over and being on the same level as the lower balconies on the Dawn (Sea was about 44k GTD vs Dawn at 93ish)

Fast forward- we now have 3 daughters (14,10,10). And have been waiting for the kids to get to a good age for a cruise. We REALLY want to take the to Alaska, but before spending THAT kind of money want to make sure the kids like cruising so are looking at a cruise or two before hand. Given our family size, we are looking at 2 cabins or larger suites on most ships.

We wanted to go out of NOLA or Galveston so we can drive to the port. What do I find? The very same Dawn we were moored next to years ago, with newly renovated family suites that sleep up to 6. Then i find out the Suite perks, so I booked a cruise for Thanksgiving week 2015 in a heartbeat. When Oil prices bottomed I rebooked getting UBP, UDP, 50% off 3,4,5 guests, free gratuities, and an OBC.

Thats at the background (sorry to be so wordy). When I rebooked the cruise, I also booked the exact same cruise for Thanksgiving 2016 and a 5 night out of Tampa for Dec 2017 on the STAR(we have family in FL and talked about visiting for XMAS then a cruise)

Well, with the Star being replaced in Tampa with the Jade, that leaves us with SJ class cabin. I rebooked in an SC (for a reasonable price increase) and got to keep all the existing add ons.

So my question (finally) is if we have to pick one (which we likely will for scheduling reasons)..your thoughts on which one to keep?

7 Night on Dawn in a SJ for $5300 for the same iten as this year Cozumel, Roaton, Harvest Caye )(this will be in place of Belize city) and Costa maya

OR 5 night on Jade in an SC for $3700 Key West and Cozymel out of Tampa (interestingly- while my wife and I are both from FL, neigh have been to Key West)

Perks are the same for both-

Thoughts???

thanks!

7 days is better than 5 days:D

. ...

Perks are the same for both- Thoughts???

thanks!

That's a hard one for me. 7 nights is better than 5 and the Dawn has more ports

but I don't like the lack of good public viewing areas on the Dawn. They removed the Spinnaker Observation Deck from the bow and replaced it with cabins. And it does not have The Great Outdoors area aft.

However, that is not a deal breaker for me. We sailed on her sister ship Star for 26 days, including going through the Panama Canal and I enjoyed it, even without the Observation Lounge or The Great Outdoors.

My vote would be for the Dawn simply because it is a longer cruise.

Edited by NMLady

That's a hard one for me. 7 nights is better than 5 and the Dawn has more ports

but I don't like the lack of good public viewing areas on the Dawn. They removed the Spinnaker Observation Deck from the bow and replaced it with cabins. And it does not have The Great Outdoors area aft.

However, that is not a deal breaker for me. We sailed on her sister ship Star for 26 days, including going through the Panama Canal and I enjoyed it, even without the Observation Lounge or The Great Outdoors.

My vote would be for the Dawn simply because it is a longer cruise.

thats one of the advantages of the Dawn- the missing Spinnaker lounge is where the family suites are- so we get that view from our stateroom!

but the same 7 days as this year, vs a couple of different stops on the Jade?

You're already going to Coz in a month, so that port is the same on either cruise. Personally, I'd rather do western Caribbean over Key West. And I'm almost always going to go for the longer cruise.