Prinsendam Transatlantic

DCParky

I will be sailing on the Prinsendam Transatlantic that leaves Italy on November 9th, and arrives Ft. Lauderdale on November 24th. I'm really looking forward to cruising on the Elegant Explorer! I've done one TA before on Celebrity, and can't wait to see how the Prinsendam compares.

For those of you who love the ship, can you give me your thought/impressions and any recommendations for what to experience while I'm onboard.

Thanks!

I will be sailing on the Prinsendam Transatlantic that leaves Italy on November 9th, and arrives Ft. Lauderdale on November 24th. I'm really looking forward to cruising on the Elegant Explorer! I've done one TA before on Celebrity, and can't wait to see how the Prinsendam compares.

For those of you who love the ship, can you give me your thought/impressions and any recommendations for what to experience while I'm onboard.

Thanks!

I don't know if you are on the rollcall....it has been so inactive, I haven't kept up...and there are over 60 of us! Come to the Crow's Nest at 11 a.m. on Tues. the 10th.

There is no ship sailing the seas that generates such controversy as P'dam. I have 2 friends who don't like her at all. They are still my friends---they just won't sail her. They don't see the appeal. For others, we see "elegant" as meaning how ships were designed back in the day. Maybe old fashioned??? She is so small, you will be able to get around easily and explore her quickly. Don't fall in love with her...sounds like she may be leaving in 2017 if a person reporting recently is correct. I am going to find out, even if I have to approach the Captain...who is very personable.

Well, we really like sailing on this ship and on a Transatlantic you will be glad you are on her. Her bow really is different so she really does cut through the waves.

What to enjoy? the Crow's Nest for sure. It's nicely done, no internet, etc. Just the lovely Crow's Nest and the bar and a piano.

the Pinnacle Grill for sure. At the very least do lunch if not dinner. Food and service is subjective but when we have been on the PG service has been excellent and the food very palatable. The rosewood walls there will not be found on any other ship I don't think so soak it up and enjoy it.

The Lido pool area does not have a roof that closes, but the fresh air is lovely and there are protected areas on the side so you can walk through. the sea view pool area is very nice too.

The Oak Room (off the library) is really more of the library but a nice quiet spot with very comfy chairs. It's a very nice room.

there should be some nice buffets served on the Lido on your cruise I would think (at least there were on ours). Definitely go. They were much better than the standard Lido buffet when we went.

The crew are awesome. It's a small ship so they will know you quickly and that's always nice.

For eating at the Lido, we like the new room that was created overlooking the water where the Canaletto is. Oh yes, the Canaletto. I'm not traditionally a fan of the Can, but it was great on this ship. So good we went back three times!

You will have some sea days - so do the art tour (you can download it to your ipod or pick one up on the ship). There are some unique pieces that are different because of where the ship has been and they are easy to miss if you don't go everywhere.

Oh, and whenever we have been on, there are little appetizers served in the Crow's Nest at happy hour;) hopefully it is still happening.

Mostly, have fun!

Edited by kazu

We cruised up the Amazon on the Prinsendam last November-December, and I loved it.

I think the main impression that I got from the Prinsendam as compared to other ships I have been on in the last few years is that the ship has a relaxing, low key atmosphere. Although there is a timetable of activities daily, like the other ships, everything just seems to happen at a slightly slower pace. There was more time to linger over a cocktail, sit around chatting with other passengers near the pool, and just enjoy.

Since the passenger count is less than larger ships, it is also easy to get to know other guests a little more intimately than other cruises.