Been on Oasis and Allure, been a while, need to know which is best now

Cruised on the Allure in 2013 and just came back from the Oasis this past Saturday, the Allure in my memory was a lot nicer than our last week's experience of the Oasis. As an example, the entire week long cruise was without a single Oasis of Dreams (the high jump into stern pool show). First few days it was weather (understandable), then something else daily, until on the last (7th) evening of the cruise they opened the seating to everyone as they can only have one show at this point before we end the cruise. After 30 minutes past the scheduled show time (at this point many people had been in their seats for an hour+), they apologized for equipment error and let people leave... (no show) So lame...

Edited by chirawat

Cruised on the Allure in 2013 and just came back from the Oasis this past Saturday, the Allure in my memory was a lot nicer than our last week's experience of the Oasis. As an example, the entire week long cruise was without a single Oasis of Dreams (the high jump into stern pool show). First few days it was weather (understandable), then something else daily, until on the last (7th) evening of the cruise they opened the seating to everyone as they can only have one show at this point before we end the cruise. After 30 minutes past the scheduled show time (at this point many people had been in their seats for an hour+), they apologized for equipment error and let people leave... (no show) So lame...

And awhile back Allure had a problem with the pool and there were no shows for, I think I remember this correctly, an entire week. Weather affects shows on these two ships and mechanical issues show up from time to time. Heck, Allure was taken out of service for a whole week to fix a pod problem... no shows, no food, no cruise.... for 5000 people.

If you're talking about the November 28th cruise, chirawat, the problem was a chemical leak, which they explained to us during our All-Access Tour of the Aqua Theater. A chemical was seeping into the pool, making it impossible to see underwater. When they fixed the leak, they had to flush the system several times to ensure that the chemical wasn't there.

There was at least one early "Oasis of Dreams" show on the final day -- we saw it and enjoyed it. The performers were rarin' to go since they hadn't performed all week.

This should be an interesting topic. I've been on Allure twice (2011 and 2013) and about to go on Oasis for the first time next Spring. I remember going on Allure in its innaugural year and hearing about the differences, but in my observation, those differences are diminishing. Off to read the thread!

Edited by BillOh
correction

"Puddle pool?"

I tend to call it the "bird bath". Its worthless as a swimming pool. Some preliminary info I've seen on Harmony indicate this solarium will have a real swimming pool, possibly a dual level infinity type pool. I'll be watching early reveals.

I'm hoping Harmony has the pools like Quantum in the Solarium. It was very nice!

I'd book based on departure date, unless that doesn't matter to you. We saw Mamma Mia on Quatum and it was fantastic. We aren't looking forward to Cats on Oasis, but we may just skip it or sit in seats where we can "bail". We have young girls who enjoy shows but they may not enjoy Cats.

Cruised on the Allure in 2013 and just came back from the Oasis this past Saturday, the Allure in my memory was a lot nicer than our last week's experience of the Oasis.

Interesting. We just got off the Allure. We shared a cab into Cozumel with a couple from Long Island. They had sailed both ships. They were saying that the Oasis seemed better to them in the minor things. He said that there seemed to be real oil paintings instead of prints, and real sculptures on the Oasis. His thoughts were that they originally did up the Oasis really well and since it was a success , they went to duplicate it with the Allure but cheaper. Obviously, not major issues but he said that next time (given a choice of Oasis or Allure) he would choose Oasis. He said "It's the little things that matter."

...They were saying that the Oasis seemed better to them in the minor things. He said that there seemed to be real oil paintings instead of prints, and real sculptures on the Oasis...

I guess I could spend the time I saved by not attending CATS! to view the artwork.

..sounds like a fair trade! :)

I guess I could spend the time I saved by not attending CATS! to view the artwork.

..sounds like a fair trade! :)

I hate the show CATS, but I also didn't like Mama Mia either. They should be doing Shrek: The Musical. It is a great show with awesome songs and a clever script that appeals to all ages (enough innuendos to go over the kids head yet keep the adults laughing). I mean, they are promoting the whole Dreamworks thing, right?

I hate the show CATS, but I also didn't like Mama Mia either. They should be doing Shrek: The Musical. It is a great show with awesome songs and a clever script that appeals to all ages (enough innuendos to go over the kids head yet keep the adults laughing). I mean, they are promoting the whole Dreamworks thing, right?

I'm with ya.

Or even Footloose or Dirty Dancing - if they're going down the Broadway road...

If my college friends ask me which one to pick I could say the oasis. I have sailed in both oasis and allure and I found Oasis crew and passengers more excited about the ship. On the other hand, Allure crew were more like" doing their jobs" and the passenger demographic was way older than in Oasis. Btw oasis had Ricky Mathew as cruise director and he clearly was spreading his energy to his crew. The newest the ship the more I feel I'm sailing in a celebrity cruise.

Coincidence? Maybe!! But that's how I felt while I was in the Oasis.

As I stated at the beginning of this thread, I have sailed on both ships. I was leaning more towards the Allure for a return visit , but wanted some input from others who have sailed both as well. It seems that Allure is getting the most votes and I polled the family, It's Mama Mia that they prefer. I don't think my younger ones will want to sit through Cats. Both ships are great and enjoyed them both. I want to thank all of you who posted their thoughts for me, Cruise Critic always comes through. Ask and it shall be given unto you, lol. Now I have to try to get all of these people on the same page, so we can get cruising. Somehow I have been elected to do the planning for this cruise adventure, its much easier when It's just the wife, myself and maybe another couple. Oh well it's our 50th Anniversary and they all want to be with us. I can't argue with that. Once again thank you all for your input it is much appreciated that you took the time to post.