First Time Cruise -- Imagination LB to Catalina/Ensanda

JPALJ

Worried! San Diego family going out for the first cruise with 4 kids (5 to 13) in December LB to Ensanada. Would like to hear from recent cruisers on this ship to know if it's too cold to swim/water park this time of year, what the vibe is like on this cruise, and if anyone has a private tour guide referral who can take us to Catedral Guadalupe in Ensanda (and any other hints for first time cruising/what to bring/what to do on the ship/what not to do, etc. especially with kids). Sorry if this a redundant post from a first timer. Thank you!

Edited by JPALJ
add more

Sailed on her this time last year. Pool was too cold for us but there were several kids in the pools during the cruise. It was a mix of older and younger crowd. The ship is in need of some refurb (fraying carpet, etc,) but nothing that even really made a difference in our trip. Enjoy.

Not familiar with the cathedral but I'm sure a cab driver would be glad to take you there. Hopefully he speaks some English or you speak some Spanish. 50 bucks for all day should do it for the driver. Be sure to negotiate for the fare and for anything you want to buy in Mexico. If not going to The cathedral a trip to the blowhole in ensenada is a nice way to spend the day. When you get on The shuttle to town they will give you The sales pitch. Fifteen bucks. Have a great time, you're gonna love it.

Edited by joeyancho

We were on her last August, we had our wedding on her. We are sailing on her again this January. I can not speak to the temp of the pool, since I've not been on her at this time of year. There is plenty for kids to do. They have the kids programs, and there are always a lot of kids on these cruises, even during the school year. Also, the family comedy show in the evening is fun and it really is family friendly (not so much the later adults only show). If the kids can't have fun on this ship, they aren't doing it right!

The pool water is very cold, but it never seems to stop the kids from jumping right in.

You never know about the weather in So. Cal, even in Dec. Could be warm, could be cold.

I personally like the Imagination. Been on her many times and will be back on her tomorrow. I've never had any maintenance issues. Knock on wood. :D

• 4 weeks later...

We have taken this route many times. We live local we too will be cruising in December. Swimming will all be weather/temp. dependent (it was 89 degrees today). There is plenty to do for kids with out the pool. My 9 yr. has cruised since she was three and really enjoys Camp Carnival. She makes friends and loves the activities.

The boat is a bit loved, but no complaints.we have stay in suites to inside rooms. We really enjoy the shows after dinner. A big highlight was Behind the Scenes when we toured the boat on a private tour. It was worth every penny!