Cancellation penalties for shore excursions

Mrs. Walkinman

My husband booked a couple of shore excursions for us on our upcoming Caribbean cruise on the Oosterdam, and when he printed out the purchase summary, the Important Information includes:

"All onboard cancellations are subject to at least a 10% cancellation fee."

We just sailed on the Zuiderdam in the Med during July/August, and at that time, there was no penalty if you cancelled the shore excursions onboard at least 48 hours in advance.

Is this something new, or just specific to Caribbean sailings?

I don't remember ever seeing it before.

My husband booked a couple of shore excursions for us on our upcoming Caribbean cruise on the Oosterdam, and when he printed out the purchase summary, the Important Information includes:

"All onboard cancellations are subject to at least a 10% cancellation fee."

We just sailed on the Zuiderdam in the Med during July/August, and at that time, there was no penalty if you cancelled the shore excursions onboard at least 48 hours in advance.

Is this something new, or just specific to Caribbean sailings?

I don't remember ever seeing it before.

I've seen this warning before, but have always cancelled far enough in advance not to receive a penalty..

Yes, it also states that you can cancel online up to 3 days before departure (I'm assuming without penalty).

I'm referring specifically to on board cancellations.

I know that I was able to cancel a couple of my shore excursions on the Med trip without penalty as long as I gave 48 hours notice.

This past May on the Rotterdam, due to foot injury sustained by DW, we had to cancel an excursion (that required a lot of walking) only 24hrs in advance, and I do not recall hearing about a 10% cancellation fee, but we knew that we would forfeit the basic excursion fee. However, the Excursion rep said that if they could re-sell the excursion, we would be credited the cost of the excursion. To our good fortune, they were able to re-sell the cancelled spots and all was well.

Yes, it also states that you can cancel online up to 3 days before departure (I'm assuming without penalty).

I'm referring specifically to on board cancellations.

I know that I was able to cancel a couple of my shore excursions on the Med trip without penalty as long as I gave 48 hours notice.

You can indeed cancel up to three days before without penalty. It will be credited back to the credit card used to purchase the excursion.

Once on board, you are theoretically charged 10%, however, I was told that if I cancelled as soon as we arrived it would be waived. (told this by shore excursions as I was concerned about one participant at Half Moon Cay and if I had to refund the $) It turned out good as they came along but my eyes were opened as I thought I would have to eat 10%

Our tour was the next day after embarkation so no 48 hours. In the cabin you will find a shore excursion book and it will have the cancellation deadline without penalty. 48 hours sounds right - but it's worth it to check the booklet as some are longer time frames.

Edited by kazu

I had purchased an excursion on-line before I left home and once I got on board I needed to cancel the excursion. I cancelled it before the cancellation deadline but they still charged me 10% penalty. I was surprised when they did this because I had done this exact thing on an earlier cruise and was not charged the 10% penalty. I didn't know if maybe they had changed their policy or not. I just chalked it up to experience.