Cruising in May 2016

Moose12345

I love this forum. It has so much information on everything anyone would want to know! Thanks for all who answer everyone's questions!!

We will be cruising May 22-29,2016. We are doing the Inside Passage. I was wondering if there is any chance that we will see the Northern Lights at that time. I know it's better in the winter, but I'm hoping to see some colours. :)

There were some good showings in August and September this year and more reports from cruisers than I’d ever seen. This is partly due to it getting darker during that time frame.

Your chances of seeing them the end of May are nearly zero. If there is a good forecast with a cloudless sky it would certainly be worth taking a peek out the window around 2am when it might be dark enough.

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast

There are also services available that send you an alert when there is a potential of them being out.

Pretty close to zero chance end of May. Last year- first week of May got a view- which was the first time, I had heard of a May date being seen during the cruise season. Earliest I have seen them has been mid August.

On the first cruise to Alaska bout 20 yrs ago, saw them on a clear night, but that was mid Sept, and it was something to see!!! Tried to videotape them, but it didn't work out, couldn't see a thing, but you could hear people talkin.

Virginia

Edited by gottagoacruzn