Photo Review - Celebrity Summit Oct 24th - Oct 31st, 2015

WinksCruises

Nov 27th has great itinerary. I agree. Too bad, friends were going with can't go that date.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Come with us. We can be new friends!!! I don't know if my cruising group will jump on that one or not. I am hoping that Celebrity will come out with a booking special for the new year. :D

Come with us. We can be new friends!!! I don't know if my cruising group will jump on that one or not. I am hoping that Celebrity will come out with a booking special for the new year. :D

thanks, but we booked Dec 11th, Eclipse, (I think). Existentialtraveler is hopefully coming on that one, too

Linda

thanks, but we booked Dec 11th, Eclipse, (I think). Existentialtraveler is hopefully coming on that one, too

Linda

Don't know where you're going, but wish I were going too! How funny, just logged in and your name came up! [emoji3]

Here's wishing your family a joyous holiday season and happy sailing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't know where you're going, but wish I were going too! How funny, just logged in and your name came up! [emoji3]

Here's wishing your family a joyous holiday season and happy sailing!

Vicki, come with us. Toni and Jim said they may join us. I think it's a 10 night Caribbean. It does overnight in Barbados.

Happy holidays to you and Brendan.

I hope in Jan, I can invite you up with Jim and Toni

Linda

Vicki, come with us. Toni and Jim said they may join us. I think it's a 10 night Caribbean. It does overnight in Barbados.

Happy holidays to you and Brendan.

I hope in Jan, I can invite you up with Jim and Toni

Linda

Sounds like a wonderful idea, but based on your recommendation we are seriously looking into China, yikes!

Sounds like a wonderful idea, but based on your recommendation we are seriously looking into China, yikes!

I had friends that got home from Asia this week, they said it they had cold weather on many days and she bought a coat

So happy to see your latest review. I think I have mentioned before - you are the "Gold Standard" of cruise reviews.

We love The Connie and I wondered how the Summit would compare. Looks like some exterior TLC should be in the immediate future. Biggest surprise was the port in Martinique. I was there on a company cruise w/Carnaval over 10 yrs ago. The ship docked in the saddest part of the island and you had to take a horrendous cab ride to town and people where miserable. We swore to never return. It looks like the country decided to make a commitment to making tourism a priority.

We are headed out on the Equinox in Feb. the original itinerary included Dominica but the eliminated that stop to do an overnight in St. Martin. Was not happy, but will make most of it. We enjoy the ship and being at sea not on the dock. Maybe we will hit a good beach for day 2 - ANY RECOMMENDATIONS from Mrs. Winks???

Thanks again for your photos, humor, and time invested! Hope to see you on the High Seas sometime.

Hi Mr. & Mrs. Winks. I am Lynn the book club arranger/moderator on Summit Oct 24. I loved your photo review of the cruise. Fabulous, and so helpful to future cruisers. Keep it up!

Lynn

Lynn, Thank you so much for the kind words although I am afraid they have gone straight to Winks's already large head. Hopefully, we can get that big head through the tiny cabin door on our next adventure!! :D:D:D

As always, a fun, page-turner read and the photos can't be beat.

Thanks for sharing!

Which Princess ship will Mrs Winks be sailing on?

Norris

Our next voyage starts in one week on Saturday 1/9/16!! We are sailing the Princess Grand out of San Fran for a 10 day Mexican Riviera itinerary. I can't wait to read Winks's version of our adventures once we return. :p:p

We are headed out on the Equinox in Feb. the original itinerary included Dominica but the eliminated that stop to do an overnight in St. Martin. Was not happy, but will make most of it. We enjoy the ship and being at sea not on the dock. Maybe we will hit a good beach for day 2 - ANY RECOMMENDATIONS from Mrs. Winks???

Thanks again for your photos, humor, and time invested! Hope to see you on the High Seas sometime.

We have been to St. Maarten a few times and have visited the beach near the dock a couple of times. Winks hates to travel too far to go to a beach and the beach near the dock is adequet as there are restaurants and free wi-fi. The last time we visited I as able to trick Winks into going to Maho beach. I really enjoyed Maho as this is the beach right near the airport. It was super fun hanging out at the beach restaurant, drinking some cold brews and watching those planes land so close you feel like you can touch them. It does tend to get a bit crowded but I found it a must do, at least once. Also keep in mind that most of the big jets land after 12 pm. The arrival schedule is posted on a board at the outside bar!! So much fun. :D:D

• 1 month later...

I was on the Martinique port of call forum and someone mentioned your review! We will be on the CCL Pride next month with a stop here and I am clueless. What I would really like to do is get off the ship and "walk around" and that is what you did, going thru the port? Can you give me advice about this? TIA

What I would really like to do is get off the ship and "walk around" and that is what you did, going thru the port? Can you give me advice about this? TIA
There's really not much to it. Along the quay there's a tent village of craft vendors. Worth browsing for the cute trinkets, the colorful Martinque postcards and (mostly) the free rum samples. Continue along the waterfront past the tent village and there are landing docks for the ferries that run across the harbor to some small beaches (see more details about this in our trip report above).

Behind the tent village, cut throught the port parking lot and you'll be on the city's front street. When we were there it was under heavy road construction, but there were/are clearly marked crosswalks. Here you'll find a lot of shops and eateries. And behind this, a network of cute cobblestone streets with lots of shopping. Unlike many Caribbean cruise stops, here you're dumped into a active, REAL city, where tourism is just a piece of the action, not the raison d'etre! Because so, you want to be a little careful. But it's a fun adventure. Don't let the language difference and euro currency keep you from exploring.

French is the language, but we didn't find it a problem conducting trade or getting around. It's a unique port and one worth visiting.

Here are some other pics:

Mart%20Extra2.jpg

The tent city set-up just off the pier where your cruise ship docks.

Mart%20Extra4.jpg

The ferry service takes you across the harbor to a beachfront (wasn't the nicest beach in the world, but it's a short ride and fun to do on a nice day). We went to L'Anse Mitan. 7-euros r/t each person. We had euros left over from another trip, but I think they took USD. Pay for ticket on the boat... there was no ticket booth on the dock.

Mart%20Extra3.jpg

The front street, just across from the pier's parking lot. Look for the Wall Street Baby sign - you can't miss it!

Mart%20Extra1.jpg

Behind the front street is a cute shopping area, with a cheesey euro-trash feel! They even have a KFC, oo la la, so French cosmopolitan!

Oh, and you can walk down to the fort (visible from the ship), but you won't be able to access it (it's an active military base). To tour it properly, you have to go through one of the ship's shore excursions.

Have fun!

Edited by WinksCruises

I don't recall seeing an currency exchange booths there, but I'm sure they exist since they're dropping several thousand cruise ship passengers, who are only carrying USDollars, into the port.

Maybe try to get some from your bank (or airport booth) stateside, before leaving?

The vendors at the tents, who take USD, might agree to give you change in euros.... but any of these options will probably result in you getting ripped off either by poor math or a poor rate of exchange.

Your best bet might be to make all your purchases with a credit card, where your card issuer will do the exchange at the current rate (theoretically). Might want to see if they charge a fee and alert them you are going to be travelling.

Or ask in the Martinique forum

The ferry was cash only as I recall...

Signs at the tent city:

Mart%20Extra5.jpg

Mart%20Extra6.jpg

Edited by WinksCruises

• 3 weeks later...