Gear list for 16 day cruise

Cabansail

Have to work out what gear I will pack for a 16 day cruise (first one) and a few days book ended either side.

My list so far is;

DSLR Bodies (Full Frame) x2

Battery Grips for each body.

Compact/Bridge + Underwater Housing.

Pocket sized compact.

16mm f2.8 Fisheye

20mm f2.8 Wide

24-70 f2.8 Zoom

70-200 f2.8 Zoom

150 - 600 f5 Zoom

Speedlight

Monopod.

Gorillapod

MacBook Pro and Wacom Tablet.

Cards, Card Reader, Batteries, Chargers, Remote Cable, etc.

Thinking the Tripod may take up too much room for the use it would get. How do they go on ships? I would image there would be some vibration through the decks. I was thinking of some long exposures from the Helipad, maybe the gorillapod would be fine for that.

Hardly use flash anymore so one Speedlight should suffice, just in case.

Anything that I have missed?

Have to work out what gear I will pack for a 16 day cruise (first one) and a few days book ended either side.

My list so far is;

Pocket sized compact.

16mm f2.8 Fisheye

20mm f2.8 Wide

24-70 f2.8 Zoom

70-200 f2.8 Zoom

150 - 600 f5 Zoom

Speedlight

Monopod.

Gorillapod

Thinking the Tripod may take up too much room for the use it would get. How do they go on ships? I would image there would be some vibration through the decks. I was thinking of some long exposures from the Helipad, maybe the gorillapod would be fine for that.

Wow. That's an impressive amount of gear. Just wondering if you have to fly to get to your cruise? I usually take quite a bit of gear too, but I am always flying and I am afraid to check anything camera related, so I take what fits in my camera backpack.

I always only take my gorillapod and leave the tripod at home. The gorillapod is so versatile for getting that unique pov on the ship.

How many shots do you think you will take?

Denise

Wow. That's an impressive amount of gear. Just wondering if you have to fly to get to your cruise? I usually take quite a bit of gear too, but I am always flying and I am afraid to check anything camera related, so I take what fits in my camera backpack.

I always only take my gorillapod and leave the tripod at home. The gorillapod is so versatile for getting that unique pov on the ship.

How many shots do you think you will take?

Denise

We will be flying from Brisbane to Perth. A fair bit of that will be taken as cabin luggage. I have become quite good at making the backpack look like it's light! I also have some protective cases which allows some gear to be put into the checked in baggage. I may wear a camera too.

Mine is one of the original gorillapods and still going strong. Has allowed me to get some shots over the years not possible in other ways. Still always makes me feel nervous seeing a few thousand dollars of gear hanging precariously from it, but then it's there to be used.

Not sure how many shots I will take. I tend to think about shots and make each exposure count. I see some who set their shutters on continuous and just shoot huge amounts. Then it all depends on the situation. The most I have ever taken is over 21k images (closer to 22k) in the one day. That was in Berlin covering the Marathon. They were all individual shots too. The runners may have had sore feet, I had a sore finger!

We will be flying from Brisbane to Perth. A fair bit of that will be taken as cabin luggage. I have become quite good at making the backpack look like it's light! I also have some protective cases which allows some gear to be put into the checked in baggage. I may wear a camera too.

Mine is one of the original gorillapods and still going strong. Has allowed me to get some shots over the years not possible in other ways. Still always makes me feel nervous seeing a few thousand dollars of gear hanging precariously from it, but then it's there to be used.

Not sure how many shots I will take. I tend to think about shots and make each exposure count. I see some who set their shutters on continuous and just shoot huge amounts. Then it all depends on the situation. The most I have ever taken is over 21k images (closer to 22k) in the one day. That was in Berlin covering the Marathon. They were all individual shots too. The runners may have had sore feet, I had a sore finger!

I never thought of wearing a camera before. Thanks for the idea! :) I may have to try it.

I am right there with you with the gorillapod and the nervousness. I am especially nervous on the ship with the potential for sudden movement and surrounded by water. :eek: I had a bridge camera take a salt water bath several years ago, but it was totally my fault for putting it on an picnic table while getting lunch. The picnic table was over water and 2 people sat on the same side of the table and rocked it and in went the camera.

I had to keep re-reading your 22K number to make sure I was reading it right. Yes, your finger had just was much action as the runners feet.

I hope you get some great shots on your upcoming cruise.

The day in Berlin was great fun. Shot at two locations. Nothing at all Arty about the shots, just record shots of the runners to sell to them after the marathon. I got transport there, accommodation, meals and they paid me. Best thing is I used their cameras. First location both broke. First one had the reflex mirror come loose and so it was weird looking through the viewfinder. Switched to spare and the shutter was failing on it, so back to the first one again. I just framed up with my left eye and took a bit over 5K frames like that.

We then regrouped and I was moved to a location near the Brandenburg Gate. I had two replacement cameras and the first one worked great, so I shot the next 16k or so on it. Just paused to change batteries and CF cards. Averaged over a frame a second. I think I got about 85% saleable images from my shots.

I would not subject my own gear to that workload as it would soon run through the life of a shutter considering these cameras get shipped from race to race.

I will upload some images when I get back home in early December.

A pack mule? Great Ansel Adams's ghost, that's quite a load-out.

I've honestly never found a monopod to be much use. A decent carbon fiber tripod should be compact enough to fit in a large suitcase (mine does). I can't imagine when having a second body would have come in handy on a cruise, but I don't know how you shoot. It seems like overkill to me.

I tried bringing a laptop once. Maybe a Macbook is easier, but I much prefer editing on a desktop. But to each, his own.

My list so far is;

Pocket sized compact.

16mm f2.8 Fisheye

20mm f2.8 Wide

24-70 f2.8 Zoom

70-200 f2.8 Zoom

150 - 600 f5 Zoom

Speedlight

Monopod.

Gorillapod

Going on vacation to shot or shooting for vacation. I remember some trips where I took two bodies, quickly learned one was enough, these days my iPhone and a small V1 with a superzoom seems to be good enough.

If photography is the end goal only you can decide. If weight is an issue I'd lose the grips, fisheye, 150-600 unless you are going to Alaska or something.

packing up now.

Going to lose the 150-600 and pack a 1.7TC instead. It will give some extra reach to the 70-200 moving it up to 120- 340 f4.8 which be OK for anything long. The Sigma is nice to use but does weigh a ton.

The Fisheye is lights as are the grips. I shoot with the fisheye a lot. Forgot one of my grips a few weeks agoforgot one of my grips and it was weird not having the second shutter. Taking two bodies as I will be teaching my wife to use one. She is using the Olympus YX-1 only at the moment. The other thing is that while I prefer using the D800 most of the time the D600 has a much quieter shutter. Makes a big difference when indoors.

I used to carry a ton of Nikon equipment until I got tired of carrying it. I now use a Sony A6000 with a kit lens and the 55-210 telephoto. The whole kit with the bag weighs about 5 1/2 pounds. What does yours weigh. I carry my camera on a belt clip and I drop the telephoto in my jacket pockets. I am also going to downsize from a 10" tablet with a keyboard to a Samsung 8" tablet. Good enough to do a quick check on what I am taking and to back up my stuff to a pair of large flash drives. I do not edit on the go - I just delete bad ones.

Works for me. I may miss some stuff and my pictures may suffer a bit but my trips are much more enjoyable. Different strokes for different folks.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

I Just got off a cruise last week - I was debating bringing my usual full camera backpack and dual camera kits with 15-20 lenses as I've done in most past trips, but in looking back I really figured I only really used the DSLR body with 1, occasionally 2 lenses, and relied much more frequently on the mirrorless body and a variety of lenses - though even with that one, not usually more than 5 lenses total. So I decided to pare down a bit, and went with one stuffed shoulder bag containing:

A6000 mirrorless body

70-200 F4

16mm F2.8 plus .75x fisheye

10-18mm F4

35mm F1.8

35mm F1.4 Voigtlander

18-55mm kit lens

A580 DSLR body

18-250mm lens

150-600mm lens

The shoulder bag with all the mirrorless kit, plus the DSLR in my long-lens holster bag, were both stuffed inside a rollalong carry on suitcase, and the mirrorless body plus lens rode around my neck.

I probably took 90% of my shots with the mirrorless kit - of those, 85% with 3 lenses (10-18, 18-55, 70-200). I really could get by on a cruise without the double camera rig if I had to - but there were occasional bird or distant ship opportunities where I was happy to have the 150-600mm along. If I were having to fly first, I'd probably give up on the 150-600 and DSLR body and just bring my mirrorless with a few extra lenses tossed in...and just accept that the long-lens wildlife stuff is nixed. But since I was able to drive to the port, luggage weight wasn't a concern so I still brought the big lens along this time. Still, saved a lot of weight by not bringing the big backpack with all the extra DSLR lenses I've brought in the past.

And yes - I travel FOR photography, so for me, I absolutely prioritize bringing a selection of bodies and lenses that allow me to enjoy that pursuit...shooting with a phone or single-lens camera just wouldn't be any fun for me and would take away much of the joy of traveling.