Golden Princess San Juan Port Question

meyerhaus

I am on the 7/11 Southern Caribbean cruise on the Golden Princess sailing out of San Juan. I have never set sail from San Juan before, so I have a question for those of you "in the know."

My wife and I are staying at the Wyndham Old San Juan the night before. Where, in relation to the Wyndham Old San Juan (not Condado), is the pier that the [B]Golden[/B] leaves from in San Juan? I have recieved two different answers and am trying to plan the day. My guess is that Princess sails from two different piers in San Juan and some people do not know which boat leaves from which pier.

Thanks,
JON MEYER

Golden Princess 7/11/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;7;11;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Big Red Boat-1996 (Amy)
Celebrity Zenith-1993 (Jon)

Hi John,
My son and I are doing the exact same thing for the June 6 sailing.

My understanding is the Golden will sail from the Pan Am pier when it begins the San Juan itinerary. This pier is farther east (~1 1/2 miles)than the pier at Old San Juan. You will need to catch a cab to get there, but it is only a few minutes away. The fare will be $10 plus .50 per bag over 4 bags plus tip.

Although it is not as convinient or scenic a location compared to the OSJ pier, with all the improvements the Pan Am pier has become a great facility.

Enjoy your cruise!

Carnival Inspiration 12/99
Carnival Destiny 12/02
Celebrity Galaxy 01/04
Golden Princess 06/04
Celebrity Century 01/05

Thanks, JRarey! Would you let me know how things go for you and what it cost? My email is my userid @cinci.rr.com.

Thanks in advance from a fellow Ohioan (Go XU)!

JON

Golden Princess 7/11/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;7;11;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Big Red Boat-1996 (Amy)
Celebrity Zenith-1993 (Jon)

We decided to stay at the Wyndham Condado Plaza. Been to Old San Juan and it is closer to the Pan Am Pier.

Golden Princess
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;05;23;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Radiance of the Seas
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2004;11;21;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Raydon, when you get back would you please post a review of the hotel & ship. We are doing the exact same in October. Also, if you booked your room through Priceline, I have been warned to look your bill over carefully. They will sometimes try to charge you more than you bid [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img].

Aweigh we go
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;10;10;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

• 6 months later...
I have used Jesus Falcon in San Juan twice and both times were great. Jesus is very nice, bilingual (English and Spanish) and just a joy to be around. He will taylor your experience for you and take you where you want to go and when you want. I will give you an example. Eight of us were going to the Rain Forest (Awesome) and the women on the way said, "Were Hungry", he stopped and took us to get breakfast and it in itself was a really neat experience. You just can't get that from a Cruise Line and he is less expensive too.

Horseback, City Tour, Bicardi Tour, Rainforest Tour, Jesus does it all.

His Phone numbers are:

Home 787-797-1936
Mobile 787-593-0120

Pete Taylor is the man in Jamaica, Jesus Falcon is the man in San Juan!!

Brad
[email]Bafiremed@yahoo.com[/email]

Explorer of the seas 10-11-2002
Navigator of the seas 10-12-2003
Adventure of the seas 10-17-2004

• 3 months later...
I booked a pre cruise stay at Sheraton Old San Juan and a post cruise stay at Wyndham Condado Plaza. would appreciate a review of the Condado. Also, can someone tell me where the Golden Princess is docked in regards to the location of the Shaeraton Old San Juan Hotel? I stayed here last year when we sailed the Destiny. The Destiny was docked directly accross the street. Is that the Pan Am pier or the Main Pier?

John

We stayed at the Wyndham Condado Plaza two weeks ago for a pre-night. We were originally suppose to stay at the Sheraton, but a water main broke during remodeling and flooded two floors so they booked rooms at the Wyndham for us. It works for a one night stay. The pool area is nice. They do have a little beach that is inland and protected from the surf. The rooms are very worn and in need of a remodeling. There are several restaurants there including a Tony Romas.

Click on my link below for an aerial of Old San Juan if you want to see the relationship of the hotels to the piers.

Yes...it was very informative. DW and I have sailed from many ports, but none of them beat the port of San Juan for embarkation. For others sailing from San Juan, be sure and check out the liquor store on the second floor of the cruise pier. DW and I, along with our group always hit that spot prior to boarding. There is a little bar area where you can taste test different liquors, but be careful, you may miss the life boat drill.(LOL) Take the escalator to the second level of the pier. We were there last April, but the pier underwnet renovations at the time. I heard the pier is fully operational now. I can't wait to see it in April. (Here we come Golden Princess)

John

Archived