Chocolate Night on the Gem

Stuffy8

Just curious if NCL still does the Chocolate night on the Gem? Also, now I hear the Asian restaurant is free on board, has anyone tried this place?

Thank you

If you mean the big chocolate extravaganza, no Mr. Sheehan got rid of that when he headed up NCL.

Actually, I just got off the Gem yesterday and there was a chocolate night. It was the 4th sea day (9th night) of the cruise. I wasn't particularly impressed, but they did do a chocolate theme for the MDR and the buffet. We ended up doing teppanyaki that night and noticed that their usual desserts had some extra chocolate flourishes on them.

As for the Chinese, yes, it's there and free. The pork dumplings were pretty good, but the dipping sauce was just soy and very salty. I wasn't a fan of the beef noodle dish I ordered. Not that it was bad, just not my taste.

Just curious if NCL still does the Chocolate night on the Gem? Also, now I hear the Asian restaurant is free on board, has anyone tried this place?

Thank you

There is no longer a chocolate buffet, but there's a night designated as "chocolate night" featuring chocolate desserts. Most of them look good but (imho) taste pretty bad. Not sure what they are using to bake with, but it sure doesn't taste like real or quality chocolate. I thought the same of the chocolate buffet. If you really like chocolate, it's quite a disappointment.

We tried the Asian restaurant (Orchid Garden) last May. It was free, and not worth it at that price. (Plus it's badly located -- right above the piano bar and thus quite noisy.)

[OP: We do love the Gem and will be back on her for a third time this winter, but you happened to ask about a couple of things that are not on our list of favorites. :) ]

Edited by Turtles06