gastrobar on Equinox

tbmrt

We were on the Feb. 1 sailing of the Equinox and loved the Gastro Bar. Marija was absolutely wonderful. She was honestly the best bar server we have ever had! We had a classic beverage package and they were more than happy to serve us within our package. The Cava was wonderful and they were pouring Kettle One Vodka. After trying every bar on the ship (with the exception of The World Bar where they would not accommodate our package) we settled into the Gastro Bar for pre-dinner cocktails. Tamara and Fabiean were equally attentive. One night the only seats left were at the bar---loved talking with Rade--great show--great bartender!

• 2 weeks later...
Tom the burger in the GastroBar is very thick. If you order it rare the center would still be cold not cool. They do an excellent job cooking the items sold there.

EW

Right you are! I order RARE whenever I have the opportunity, and the GastroBar burger came out among the rarest I've had (a bit much, even for me)! This was from lunch today:

i-NnZXGLQ-L.jpg

i-Q4cgcSP-L.jpg

I enjoyed 1/2 of the burger (had a beer with it), and really liked the fries!

Next time... I think I'll order M-Rare !! ;)

Tom

Edited by Tom-n-Cheryl

Right you are! I order RARE whenever I have the opportunity, and the GastroBar burger came out among the rarest I've had (a bit much, even for me)! This was from lunch today:

i-Q4cgcSP-L.jpg

We had the same experience at the Porch on Reflection this week - my husband ordered a rare burger and it looked just like yours - they really listen when you say rare!! He still enjoyed it, but switched to medium rare for all subsequent Porch burgers and was VERY happy!

Have you tried the flatbread? The mushroom is very good.

EW

Today's the last day to try anything, so I'll see if I can fit that in. Though I did want another crack at the burger too! Perhaps I'll cover my bases and order both.

The biggest shortcoming for the GastroBar, IMO, is that they're not open for lunch on port days. We stayed on the ship the entire 10 days, save about 2 hours in St. Maarten - for a bucket of Amstel Bright. Lunch was at Luminae (once), room service (couple times), Bistro on Five (4-5 times), and GastroBar (once... thus far).

It ALWAYS comes down to this... the LAST day. When the thought of packing (and a pending EARLY wake-up) comes to mind!

Tom

Edited by Tom-n-Cheryl

Today's the last day to try anything, so I'll see if I can fit that in. Though I did want another crack at the burger too! Perhaps I'll cover my bases and order both.

The biggest shortcoming for the GastroBar, IMO, is that they're not open for lunch on port days. We stayed on the ship the entire 10 days, save about 2 hours in St. Maarten - for a bucket of Amstel Bright. Lunch was at Luminae (once), room service (couple times), Bistro on Five (4-5 times), and GastroBar (once... thus far).

It ALWAYS comes down to this... the LAST day. When the thought of packing (and a pending EARLY wake-up) comes to mind!

Tom

Yea those pesky port days when some of the crew gets a half day off. The others have to cover so not all the venues can open.

Don't forget to leave a note in the GastroBar memory book on the shelf behind the bar.

EW

Yea those pesky port days when some of the crew gets a half day off. The others have to cover so not all the venues can open.

Don't forget to leave a note in the GastroBar memory book on the shelf behind the bar.

EW

Back home now. We only set one alarm for the last 10 days, and that was this morning. :(

Made it to the GastroBar again yesterday and ordered the burger (M-rare this time... still VERY rare, but EXCELLENT) and the mushroom flatbread. My thoughts on the flatbread are just -meh-, of course, my focus was the burger! We also tried to order the truffle fries, but they were out of them. Not sure how they'd differ from the Parmesan fries which come with the burger. The waitress did say that they were larger fries.

BTW - I'd love a cruise with all sea days! :)

Tom