Aurora embarkation/disembarkation - smooth and efficient

rooftop

Well, it was all very smooth running......

Embarkation

Our embarkation time was 2 30pm. We entered the Mayflower Terminal just after 2 15pm and were given a black Fast Track card 'as a reward for turning up the requested time'. (Remember child rearing days and rewarding good behaviour lol?)

Proceeded straight to Check In down a special Fast Track line. We were aware of quite a number of people sitting waiting and a letter had just been called. The stewardess kept these people back until we had passed and we were directed to a desk where we waited behind one other couple. There was a very slight delay as the monitor went down and many apologies given by the staff whilst it was (very quickly) sorted.

We were in Security at 2 25pm and then boarded and told we could go straight to our cabin. We had unpacked the hand luggage by 2 40 and were ready to go :) :) Excellent!

Disembarking

We had been switched to Ocean Terminal and had all been told that we could request a disembarking time at Reception unless we were on a coach. We asked for 09 00, which we were duly allocated. (Our friends on a coach had been given 08 30)

We had breakfast and were ready just after 08 30, so went up to our meeting point, to be told at the door that they were ahead of themselves and that we could go down then if we wished. This went very smoothly too and even though the lady in front of me had a problem with her cruise card checking out and we took a bit of time to find all our luggage ( a label had come off the suit carrier), we were out of the door by 08 50.

So yes folks, it was an excellent and very smooth process altogether.

Edited by Scriv

Arrived 14:30 for a 15:00 boarding, can't think this is too early, we can't all arrive to the minute. Given a red card and checked in at 15:40. Terminal was packed. On entering Aurora No one around to direct us except for a photographer dressed as Santa putting his arms around us and directing us to get our photos. I then politely refused. (I'd have preferred directions to the lifts and correct deck being our first cruise (e.g which deck is deck B when numbers and letters are inconsistent) Got to cabin just before muster called. Not a very relaxing start, bit rushed, but at least Aurora sail away was delayed by 9 hours by a failed engine, so we had time in the end to look around before watching us go down Southampton Water during the night :)

Some were still embarking as muster called, so muster was quite long, as we were waiting for everyone to arrive.

Disembarkation was simple and quick. 9am slot and off immediately.

Sorry, forgot to say my experience refers to the New Year cruise on Aurora on Dec 28th whereas GooseBear Mum's is presumably the Christmas one?

We were met at the entrance and welcomed to the ship and directed to our cabins and there was no Santa in sight, I am pleased to say lol. The photographers on the New Year cruise were the most discreet I have ever seen.

Edited by Scriv

8 minute (eight) check-in from entering building to cabin.

someone needed a new watch for christmas,old one must have no minute hand.

no way even in a straight line on a motobike would you have got from the terminal up the gangway into the ship along a corridor presumably on the deck you got on,first door on the left,door already open.not even taking into account you have to wait til they retrieve your cabin cards and sign for your onboard account etc. :)

Sorry joe? Are you meaning us, though I can't see where the 8 minutes came from?

If so, I assure you, the timings are as I have said above. We entered building at 2 15 and were in cabin by 2 40.

Perhaps I should have made it clearer that I meant that our allocated embarkation time was 2 30pm

Edited by Scriv

We had a similar experience for New Year Cruise..1.30 embarkation time which we were trying hard to stick to...arrived at mayflower terminal around 12.30. Checked car in, collected medical questionnaire but declined to get a coloured card then deciding to wait until a bit nearer our time, eventually collected card at 12.50 when they were just calling blue c, we were handed a blue e card..called to checked in at 1.10, slight delay due to broken camera, another slight delay at security where they thought they spotted a problem in the X-ray machine with my handbag...after chucking it around a few times backwards and forwards through the machine I asked why they just didn't open the blasted thing rather than throwing around a £300 handbag, to which they replied they took security very seriously (I would never have guessed) people behind us in queue were getting fed up with waiting, as were we! Eventually in our cabin by 1.40 with cases waiting for us.

There were an awful lot of people sitting around who had obviously arrived far too early...p&o really do need to get people to try and turn up no earlier than 30-45 minutes early if they can as seating was clearly becoming an issue.

Disemarkation - we picked a 9 am slot, open breakfast in Medina from 7 until 8.30 worked much better than the two sittings they used to have.. We waited as instructed in Masquerades, and were called to disembark around 8.40, no long queues, no pushing or shoving...quick, easy and straightforward!

Hope others encountered similar!

Hi Amanda - how funny, we almost met! We were to meet in Masquerades, but were told at the door to go on down so did not go in. She must have just come and 'released' you.

We also had breakfast in Medina and it all worked really well. :)

Edited by Scriv

We had a similar experience for New Year Cruise..1.30 embarkation time which we were trying hard to stick to...arrived at mayflower terminal around 12.30. Checked car in, collected medical questionnaire but declined to get a coloured card then deciding to wait until a bit nearer our time, eventually collected card at 12.50 when they were just calling blue c, we were handed a blue e card..called to checked in at 1.10, slight delay due to broken camera, another slight delay at security where they thought they spotted a problem in the X-ray machine with my handbag...after chucking it around a few times backwards and forwards through the machine I asked why they just didn't open the blasted thing rather than throwing around a £300 handbag, to which they replied they took security very seriously (I would never have guessed) people behind us in queue were getting fed up with waiting, as were we! Eventually in our cabin by 1.40 with cases waiting for us.

There were an awful lot of people sitting around who had obviously arrived far too early...p&o really do need to get people to try and turn up no earlier than 30-45 minutes early if they can as seating was clearly becoming an issue.

Disemarkation - we picked a 9 am slot, open breakfast in Medina from 7 until 8.30 worked much better than the two sittings they used to have.. We waited as instructed in Masquerades, and were called to disembark around 8.40, no long queues, no pushing or shoving...quick, easy and straightforward!

Hope others encountered similar!

Sadly there are people who cut up the inside of luggage to conceal contraband, so just looking inside wouldn't have highlighted any Swiss army knifes or class A drugs [emoji6]

no i wasnt on about you although you came a close second to rooftop who amazingly got from the building entrance to the check-in desk,sorted out their room cards,registered their credit cards and walked through security up the gangway through the ship to their cabin in 8 MINUTES. WOW

Well ours was amazingly fast flowing, but admittedly not as fast as that lol. Through security in no time at all with no challenges and no shoes or belts to put back on, then straight up the walkway, no one in front, into the ship and directed straightaway to a lift to C deck. Never saw a photographer to hold us back. Cabin very near to lift, so no delay there - plus I also only had one piece of hand luggage which was quickly unpacked. However, we are pretty quick walkers ;)

Edited by Scriv

We were on the same cruise with a 3pm check-in and arrived 2.50pm at the terminal on the ship for 3.20pm unpacking cases, coming home allocated 9am slot at Masquerades got there at 8.35ish told to go straight down to the gangway and in the car approx 9am.

Could not have gone better.

Leesam

Well, it was all very smooth running......

Embarkation

Our embarkation time was 2 30pm. We entered the Mayflower Terminal just after 2 15pm and were given a black Fast Track card 'as a reward for turning up the requested time'. (Remember child rearing days and rewarding good behaviour lol?)

Proceeded straight to Check In down a special Fast Track line. We were aware of quite a number of people sitting waiting and a letter had just been called. The stewardess kept these people back until we had passed and we were directed to a desk where we waited behind one other couple. There was a very slight delay as the monitor went down and many apologies given by the staff whilst it was (very quickly) sorted.

We were in Security at 2 25pm and then boarded and told we could go straight to our cabin. We had unpacked the hand luggage by 2 40 and were ready to go :) :) Excellent!

Disembarking

We had been switched to Ocean Terminal and had all been told that we could request a disembarking time at Reception unless we were on a coach. We asked for 09 00, which we were duly allocated. (Our friends on a coach had been given 08 30)

We had breakfast and were ready just after 08 30, so went up to our meeting point, to be told at the door that they were ahead of themselves and that we could go down then if we wished. This went very smoothly too and even though the lady in front of me had a problem with her cruise card checking out and we took a bit of time to find all our luggage ( a label had come off the suit carrier), we were out of the door by 08 50.

So yes folks, it was an excellent and very smooth process altogether.

You were actually told that the black card was given to those who arrived on time and then given preference to those who arrived a couple of minutes earlier and got a 'H' card? :eek:

I said to the lady with the cards that we were being good and doing as reqested and she gave us a black Fast Track card, saying that this was their reward for turning up at the requested time.

We were directed down the Fast Track lane, at the end of which a steward directed us round to the next lane, where we were assigned to a check in-desk queue. A letter (haven't a clue which letter) had just been called and the steward held back that queue until all those of us in the Fast Track lane had gone round into the next lane.

I have no idea what letter or colour cards the people waiting in the lounge area had been given.

Edited by Scriv