Recent reports: Dawn embarkation time in NOLA?

scott in maine

Hi all --

We're sailing on the Jan 3 DAWN from New Orleans and I'm aware that there have been a few weeks where the ship came in late and embarkation was a zoo.

But, we're thinking *POSITIVE* and hoping all of those glitches are in the past!

With that said, can some of you (who've sailed the Dawn in the past few weeks) chime in with a recommended time to arrive at the dock to embark on day 1? We'll be in NOLA over New Years, so we can arrive anytime in the morning. I don't want to get there at 10:15 and have to wait for 90 minutes, but if getting there at 10am helps us beat the mad rush of the midday, we'd prefer to do that.

Yes, I understand that each embarkation is a little different, but I'd sure appreciate reports from some folks who've done this sailing in the past month out of New Orleans. Many thanks, in advance!

Hi all --

We're sailing on the Jan 3 DAWN from New Orleans and I'm aware that there have been a few weeks where the ship came in late and embarkation was a zoo.

But, we're thinking *POSITIVE* and hoping all of those glitches are in the past!

With that said, can some of you (who've sailed the Dawn in the past few weeks) chime in with a recommended time to arrive at the dock to embark on day 1? We'll be in NOLA over New Years, so we can arrive anytime in the morning. I don't want to get there at 10:15 and have to wait for 90 minutes, but if getting there at 10am helps us beat the mad rush of the midday, we'd prefer to do that.

Yes, I understand that each embarkation is a little different, but I'd sure appreciate reports from some folks who've done this sailing in the past month out of New Orleans. Many thanks, in advance!

If you want to avoid the "mid day rush", you should arrive late - after 2:00 p.m. If you want on the ship quicker go earlier but know that until they start boarding the ship that everyone who arrives is going to have to wait and the more people that are early the longer the potential wait.

New Orleans is unusual in that fog can be a real issue in the winter and there is no way to predict if you will be on time or not, all you can do is keep your fingers crossed.

I recommend just boarding at a later time. I got off the Dawn this past Sunday. When we boarded the prior Sunday we arrived at the pier at about 1:30. The longest line was at check-in where we waited about 5 minutes, after that we just walked right onto the ship.

We were in the 3+ hour debacle on the Dec. 6th sailing, so we genuinely hope you have an easier time. On our return to port, we experienced the quickest time ever in clearing customs :)

I agree with the others, your best bet is to board late in the p.m., which will allow time for any a.m. issues to be cleared up.

Edited by olycruisecritic

I was on the Nov. 28- Dec 6 cruise and after sitting in traffic for 45 minutes just to park, began the check-in process at 1:30. We walked on the ship as muster was happening a little after 3, so that day later definitely wasn't better. I think it really just depends on the day.

I will spare you the debarkation story. :)

Hope you have a great cruise.