Upsell Advise Please!

Gypsy-Bear

I booked an inside guarantee on the Breakaway for a 14 day cruise back in September. I got a fantastic deal. At that time balconies were going for $1000 USD more per person. We are Canadian so when you figure in the exchange it was way too much. I am now 25 days out and I can get an upsell to a balcony for $300 USD per person which I know would be well worth it for 14 nights. I have read on this board that it is best to wait until less than 15 days out to get an even better deal. My concern about waiting is two fold...firstly that the ship will sell out and there would be no upsell's available and secondly that I would not get to keep my perk (UBP). The current offer of $300.00 PP. I can keep the UBP. What would you do? My TA called them, they didn't contact us. When I check on line there seems to be a lot of unsold cabins. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I booked an inside guarantee on the Breakaway for a 14 day cruise back in September. I got a fantastic deal. At that time balconies were going for $1000 USD more per person. We are Canadian so when you figure in the exchange it was way too much. I am now 25 days out and I can get an upsell to a balcony for $300 USD per person which I know would be well worth it for 14 nights. I have read on this board that it is best to wait until less than 15 days out to get an even better deal. My concern about waiting is two fold...firstly that the ship will sell out and there would be no upsell's available and secondly that I would not get to keep my perk (UBP). The current offer of $300.00 PP. I can keep the UBP. What would you do? My TA called them, they didn't contact us. When I check on line there seems to be a lot of unsold cabins. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I would say if you're okay with the extra $600 USD, book it, then stop checking the prices :) For 14 nights, it will be much better than an inside and if they start selling it off, there may not be availability later on.

If you're a gambler, and will still be happy in an inside, you can try and wait. But be sure you're okay where you are, you don't want to start out your cruise dissapointed with your accommodations.

Have a great trip!

Thanks for the quick reply. I am ok with an inside, it is actually my husband who really wants the balcony. My plan is to surprise him on the ship if I do end up upselling. He has no idea I'm even thinking about it! I may just gamble a little longer and see.

Thanks

Personally, I would go with the upsell now. They're going to start randomly calling folks and you don't want to miss out. I can't imagine a 14 day cruise in an inside.....7 days, yes, but 14 seems long without the niceness of a balcony. AND, it will be such a fun surprise when you get on the ship!

I have sailed a transatlantic in an inside room and it was easily my best cruise. Slept like a baby in a dark room.

I would wait until the 2 weeks before the cruise and see what they will be selling them for then. Likely cheaper.

That still is a lot of money as it is $830 CAD.

I am Canadian as well...I may have booked later and at a higher price but we just paid $360 total Canadian through our TA to upgrade from a inside gte to a balcony gte on 03 Jan Breakaway. I would have them check again. :)

Edited by chevygirl

I think the prices of these winter cruises are coming down because the weather has been so warm. People don't seem to need to "escape" the cold. We are on the 1/3/16 Breakaway 14 day cruise. Just today all the prices dropped again. We started out in a Balcony in November. The price has dropped over $500 pp since then. Last week we were offered an upsell to a haven spa suite and we took it because we had purchased the spa passes and were able to get that money refunded. I wish I had waited until this week to purchase the upsell because I think I would have been able to negotiate more because there are plenty of cabins. If you are OK with the inside, I would wait.

Update. I missed the boat, no pun intended! The prices did a really weird thing overnight. They went from IN- 989, OV-1099, BA - 1099 Suite 1399 on Tuesday to IN- 1114, OV - 989, BA- 1599 Suite 1899 today. So no more $600.00 upsell. When I look on line it looks like they are almost sold out of insides and oceanview but have lots of balconies and suites left. So I guess I am going to wait and see. I am still ok with an inside cabin I just thought it would be nice to surprise my husband with a Balcony.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advise!

Update. I missed the boat, no pun intended! The prices did a really weird thing overnight. They went from IN- 989, OV-1099, BA - 1099 Suite 1399 on Tuesday to IN- 1114, OV - 989, BA- 1599 Suite 1899 today. So no more $600.00 upsell. When I look on line it looks like they are almost sold out of insides and oceanview but have lots of balconies and suites left. So I guess I am going to wait and see. I am still ok with an inside cabin I just thought it would be nice to surprise my husband with a Balcony.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advise!

Call again. Ncl was having issues with their pricing and promos. I was set to book a inside guarantee with 2 promos on the getaway, but then it showed no promos were available. It all ended up being corrected later thar day. Good luck.

A little update on my quest to surprise my husband with an upgrade to a balcony cabin on our upcoming 14 day cruise on the Breakaway. I decided that after I missed out on the $600.00 upgrade to a balcony a few weeks back that I would wait until less than 14 days and call the upsell department, I called today and I was told there were no upsells available.

The price of a balcony has dropped to within 200.00pp of the price I paid for my inside so I thought I will just call my TA and pay the difference and be done with it. My TA put me on hold while she called NCL and came back on the line to tell me that we could upgrade to a balcony for $50.00pp. I can't tell you how excited I was until she informed me that I would lose the UBP perk...what a bummer. I asked why I would lost the promotion that I booked and was told that it was because it was within 30 days of sailing.

I am very bummed about this but I am going to keep calling the upsell department everyday and hope something becomes available. I'm not looking for a free upgrade I'm willing to pay so hopefully something comes up.

Thanks