Galveston Info Requested

My boyfriend and I are considering a cruise from Galveston in December. Being as we'd be flying in from different areas, we're considering flying in a day or two early, meeting up and thusly not having to worry about meeting up the day of the cruise.

I'm looking for:

Airport and transportation information - I'm assuming we'd fly into Houston. What's the easiest/most cost effective method of getting to Galveston?

Lodging info - What places would you recommend staying? Is it better to stay in Galveston vs Houston? Are there hotels that provide transport to the pier on cruise day?

I've only ever cruised out of Miami and NJ, so Galveston will be a new one for me. Thanks in advance for any information!

~Melanie

My boyfriend and I are considering a cruise from Galveston in December. Being as we'd be flying in from different areas, we're considering flying in a day or two early, meeting up and thusly not having to worry about meeting up the day of the cruise.

I'm looking for:

Airport and transportation information - I'm assuming we'd fly into Houston. What's the easiest/most cost effective method of getting to Galveston?

Lodging info - What places would you recommend staying? Is it better to stay in Galveston vs Houston? Are there hotels that provide transport to the pier on cruise day?

I've only ever cruised out of Miami and NJ, so Galveston will be a new one for me. Thanks in advance for any information!

~Melanie

I don't know if SOuthwest flies from where you are, but I'd check them first for airfare. They usually have amazing deals to Houston Hobby. Also, if you're looking for transfers from Houston to Galveston, go to www.galvestonlimoservice.com. They are much cheaper than the cruise line. Of course, you could look into renting a car, too, I've heard that can be even cheaper than using Galveston Limo. As far as hotels go, I know nothing about that. We're also going on a cruise out of Galveston in Dec, the Splendour of the Seas on Dec.10, but we live in Dallas, so we're just flying in the morning of. I hope this helps, sorry I couldn't help more! Enjoy your cruise!:D

I don't know if SOuthwest flies from where you are, but I'd check them first for airfare. They usually have amazing deals to Houston Hobby. Also, if you're looking for transfers from Houston to Galveston, go to www.galvestonlimoservice.com. They are much cheaper than the cruise line. Of course, you could look into renting a car, too, I've heard that can be even cheaper than using Galveston Limo. As far as hotels go, I know nothing about that. We're also going on a cruise out of Galveston in Dec, the Splendour of the Seas on Dec.10, but we live in Dallas, so we're just flying in the morning of. I hope this helps, sorry I couldn't help more! Enjoy your cruise!:D

We sailed on the Rhapsody out of Galveston 2 years ago, one of our best cruises, friendly staff and great ship.

There are 2 airports in Houston- Bush and Hobby. Hobby is south so is closer but depending on where you are flying from might be hard/pricey to get a good flight. We flew into Bush, we had 8 people so we booked a limo to drive us into Galveston. Lone Star Limo and they met us at the airport, very nice driver awesome limo! The price was not bad and if there are just the 2 of you look into a town car. I am sure there are other ways to get there but we treated ourselves and with 8of us the cost was not much.

I don't remember what hotel we stayed at, a chain on seawall Blvd. Right on the beach. We called for a van taxi the next day to drive us to the port- 10 min away. There were lots of resturants near the hotel close by so you can walk.

I think the website is Galveston.com and you can check out the hotels available

Now I will caution you I have read some posts here and on another cruise site that people are having their hotel reservations cancelled by the hotel because FEMA has taken alot of the hotel rooms for hurricane victims. Don't know how long this is going to last so you may want to consider staying at a hotel in Houston and then drive down to Galveston the morning of the cruise. It takes about 1 hour. At any rate if you deceide to stay in Galveston then call the hotel directly and confirm they will have a room for you.

Funcruiser

We sailed on the Rhapsody out of Galveston 2 years ago, one of our best cruises, friendly staff and great ship.

There are 2 airports in Houston- Bush and Hobby. Hobby is south so is closer but depending on where you are flying from might be hard/pricey to get a good flight. We flew into Bush, we had 8 people so we booked a limo to drive us into Galveston. Lone Star Limo and they met us at the airport, very nice driver awesome limo! The price was not bad and if there are just the 2 of you look into a town car. I am sure there are other ways to get there but we treated ourselves and with 8of us the cost was not much.

I don't remember what hotel we stayed at, a chain on seawall Blvd. Right on the beach. We called for a van taxi the next day to drive us to the port- 10 min away. There were lots of resturants near the hotel close by so you can walk.

I think the website is Galveston.com and you can check out the hotels available

Now I will caution you I have read some posts here and on another cruise site that people are having their hotel reservations cancelled by the hotel because FEMA has taken alot of the hotel rooms for hurricane victims. Don't know how long this is going to last so you may want to consider staying at a hotel in Houston and then drive down to Galveston the morning of the cruise. It takes about 1 hour. At any rate if you deceide to stay in Galveston then call the hotel directly and confirm they will have a room for you.

Funcruiser

We're also going on a cruise out of Galveston in Dec, the Splendour of the Seas on Dec.10, but we live in Dallas, so we're just flying in the morning of. I hope this helps, sorry I couldn't help more! Enjoy your cruise!:D

That's the cruise we'relooking at. He'll be flying in from California and me from eastern PA. Thanks for checking on Southwest from Pitt but my airport options are Philly and BWI. So I'll certainly check on Southwest from both of those.

We're also going on a cruise out of Galveston in Dec, the Splendour of the Seas on Dec.10, but we live in Dallas, so we're just flying in the morning of. I hope this helps, sorry I couldn't help more! Enjoy your cruise!:D

That's the cruise we'relooking at. He'll be flying in from California and me from eastern PA. Thanks for checking on Southwest from Pitt but my airport options are Philly and BWI. So I'll certainly check on Southwest from both of those.

Check out www.galveston.com for hotels and other things to do. It's best to fly into Hobby Airport if you can, so definately check Southwest. Shuttle service is available in the baggage claim area. You can walk to the port if you stay at Harbor House. If you want to be along the beach I recommend the San Luis or the Galvez. Enjoy!!

Depends on what your budget is for hotels. Many require 2 night stays on weekends.

Commodore on the Beach and Gaido's are simple, clean but definitely .....retro. Depends on if you like the 1960s! Rooms for less than $100 a night.

Hotel Galvez, San Luis are the pricier hotels on the Seawall - rooms are probably around $150-200. Might have shuttles or not - I've heard conflicting things about hotel shuttles to pier lately - I think the cab companies have applied some political pressure. Cabs would be very inexpensive from that area though. There are also many chains along the beach, some better, some worse.

Closer to the pier is Harbour House which was around $150 a night as of yesterday. However, when I checked it a few months ago it was $265. Go figure. It's worth it for less than $200 a day - rooms are large but plain and there is no on site restaurant/bar but it is within a short walk to the Strand and there are restaurants on either side. We stayed there last year and it was fine. One caution about walking from there to the pier. We are in good shape but when you factor in humidity, uneven pavement and heavy rolling luggage you could arrive at the pier sweaty with hair clinging to your neck nice and sticky. Fair warning.

Like others have said, if you can fly into Hobby, do it. Much shorter ride but do a shuttle service not a cab. Have a great time - welcome to Texas!!

The Harbor House is only expensive during the summer season. It's only $84/night for a cancellable reservation for us on December 18. Within walking distance of a bunch of restaurants the night before and in the morning just walk over and get on the ship.

Harbor House sits on the pier ... it's an old converted warehouse. We loved it. We got it Easter weekend for $109/night. You are only a block from The Strand ... and that is a great place to wander through the shops and stop for something to eat. We did the free continental breakfast one morning at the hotel, and another morning we opted to got to The Phoenix Bakery for a nice sit-down breakfast. At the Harbor House, you get the bonus of standing on the pier early in the morning and watching your ship slide past you on the way to her dock. It is an awesome sight!

We also used Galveston Limo. Reasonable and prompt. When it was time to go back to the airport after the cruise, we were the first vehicle out of the parking lot and en route to the airport.

It was the first time I cruised out of anyplace but Miami ... and it was a refreshing change. In particular, I was amazed to be greeted pleasantly by the porters at the port. That is certainly something that has never happened in Miami.

I look forward to doing another cruise from that port.

We have stayed in Harbor House and will be staying there again in November. We booked on Expedia.com at $89.00 a night. The parking was free two years ago, but it is $8 a night now. Still easier than having to do one of the parking lots.

We have also stayed in Tremont House and enjoyed it. Parking is at the Galvez so you have to shuttle to the pier.

Recommend either one but loved Harbor House......

If you go to Galveston.com like another poster suggested, you can go to webcams and see the harbor cam which sits on top of Harbor House.

we stayed at the Commodore a few years back, I thought it was decent and they shuttled you to the port for free and let you park your car there for week if needed (for free). Had a complimentary contenitial breakfast to boot. I say stay there. As for renting a car, we did and it turned out to be a nightmare. The rental places are closed on Sundays and when I booked on line it went through so when we got back to Galveston to get the car to take back to the airport no such luck. If you do decide to rent a car call the location you will rent from to check time of business, don't rely on the internet reservation.

We enjoyed staying at Moody Gardens for our last cruise trip having stayed at the other hotels mentioned previously. There is a lot to do there such as aquarium, I-Max theater, etc. The breakfast that was included was delicious and the hotel offers a shuttle service to the pier. It is their cruise package. I was able to book it cheaper through the hotel than through some of the web sites. I don't know if the hotel always does this, but the same person that did the shuttle to the pier also was willing to take us to the Strand or to eat at Guido's. It was during Mardi Gras week though so I don't know if they always do this. If you don't know about Guido's, it is one the best tradition involved seafood places on the island. We never go to Galveston without eating there.

The Hotel Galvez and San Louis are across from the seawall and beach. Don't get too excited about this, it is not a pretty beach and the water is not really blue due to it being a gulf bay not ocean based.

The Tremont is a nice, smaller hotel located near the Strand. This is a restored fun street with restaurants, shops, antiques. It is also the area closest to the pier where the cruise ships leave from.

The hotels mentioned above are the higher end price wise of the hotels in Galveston.

You will have fun no matter what you choose to do. I have not been there since Hurrican Rita so I don't know what has been damage if any has been done. I know at Moody Gardens, you leave your car keys so they can move your car to higher ground if needed in case of heavy rain or hurricanes.

Archived