A new cruiser and the Spirit?

BiXLL

My DW and I are not all that experienced with only 2 cruises. We are however hooked. We have been on the Dawn and the Epic. We liked the dawn much better and feel we do much better on a smaller ship. My cousin and DH have never been on a cruise and are thinking of going with us this year. I am considering the Spirit for a eastern Caribbean on 2/27.

She has been reading reviews on the spirit and has raised concerns. I realize you have to take reviews with a grain of salt, but in all honesty, with the amount of negative reviews I am having a hard time defending the idea of going on the spirit.

Will new cruisers be disappointed in the older ship? I have never been Carnival, but for close to the same money we could do the Breeze and I am seriously considering it.

Comments?

I wouldn't worry about the reviews. You can find reviews from people who didn't like the Spirit but also from people who do like the ship. We did our first back-to-back cruise last month spending a week on the Getaway then hopping on the Sky for a 4-day cruise. Now that's a big difference going from the big, new, and beautiful Getaway to the aging, small Sky. We loved BOTH cruises. And had seen both positive and negative reviews of the Sky. My suggestion is research the Spirit on NCL's website (layout, restaurants, bars staterooms, etc). Then if you like the itinerary and the cruise price, give her a try. My personal belief is that your cruise experience is what you make of it. The reviews are great as they give us info but shouldn't keep us from trying the ship.

I understand what you are saying. Its just that I am scared to death of showing them their first cruise experiance on an older ship that will put a bad taste in their mouth from ever trying it again.

The Spirit is a beautiful ship. It is one in it's own class. The decor is very asian/chinese as it was built to sail in that area originally. I have found far more things to like on this smaller, older ship than some of the others I have been on. I love the area on the back of the ship where you can enjoy a drink or bring food from the buffett. I also love the promenade deck as another great place to sit out. The Galaxy of the Stars lounge on the front above the bridge has amazing views and if you go down the spiral stairs in there there is a small museum which is interesting and has a window where you can see the officers working the bridge. At night there is music in Galaxy, Champagne Charlies and Henrys Pub as well as the theatre shows. There is often entertainment at the pool too. I have always found the crew to be really friendly and fun to be around.

If you want slides and loads of restaurants this is not the right ship. It is more like the Dawn than Epic but not really like either of those ships as it has it's own personality.

If you want

After a little more researching I have found that so far as reviews go, even with the Breeze being so much newer, the reviews on it are really no better then they are for the spirit.

I am leaning more to the spirit the more I look into things. Food quality which is important to them is not ranked very good for either ship, however I read the same thing about the dawn before going on her and I had zero complaints on the food. Another thing is that my cousin says her DH does not handle waiting in lines real well. that tells me that the smaller more intimate spirit would be a better choice then the Breeze?

The thing that really wants me to stay with NCL is freestyle dinning. I can't imagine being tied into a set dinning time, I dont think we ate at the same time anytime through both cruises! I also am not a fan of wearing a suit jacket to go to dinner....just me.

The time to avoid dining is when the shows turn out. My sister doesn't like waiting and we found that if we could get to dinner before the first show ended there was no line at all. But we like to eat around 8PM so that may be too late for you. It will take your friends a few days to find their feet with the cruising thing and then they will be fine. It is a love it or hate it thing.

I have always found the food to be absolutely fine to excellent in the dining rooms and specialities. I think some people like to find fault because it makes them feel important or something, I don't know, but staff always seem happy to change things if you don't like it or feel something isn't right.

Always remember people who have a perceived bad experience rush to write their reviews. People who have a great time often don't bother.

The Spirit is a beautiful ship. It is one in it's own class. The decor is very asian/chinese as it was built to sail in that area originally. I have found far more things to like on this smaller, older ship than some of the others I have been on. I love the area on the back of the ship where you can enjoy a drink or bring food from the buffett. I also love the promenade deck as another great place to sit out. The Galaxy of the Stars lounge on the front above the bridge has amazing views and if you go down the spiral stairs in there there is a small museum which is interesting and has a window where you can see the officers working the bridge. At night there is music in Galaxy, Champagne Charlies and Henrys Pub as well as the theatre shows. There is often entertainment at the pool too. I have always found the crew to be really friendly and fun to be around.

If you want slides and loads of restaurants this is not the right ship. It is more like the Dawn than Epic but not really like either of those ships as it has it's own personality.

If you want

This is why we love the Spirit.

After a little more researching I have found that so far as reviews go, even with the Breeze being so much newer, the reviews on it are really no better then they are for the spirit.

I am leaning more to the spirit the more I look into things. Food quality which is important to them is not ranked very good for either ship, however I read the same thing about the dawn before going on her and I had zero complaints on the food. Another thing is that my cousin says her DH does not handle waiting in lines real well. that tells me that the smaller more intimate spirit would be a better choice then the Breeze?

The thing that really wants me to stay with NCL is freestyle dinning. I can't imagine being tied into a set dinning time, I dont think we ate at the same time anytime through both cruises! I also am not a fan of wearing a suit jacket to go to dinner....just me.

We were on the Spirit recently for 28 days (including 6 sea days crossing the ocean) and loved the ship. We enjoyed the food in all venues and rarely had line-ups. The crew were excellent and did all they could to please you. They were also the friendliest we have encountered in 200 cruising days. I highly recommend the ship and NCL.

My one complaint was the air conditioning was too cold in a lot of places - like the dining room and Stardust Theatre so I had to have a shawl or sweater with me at all times.

I don't think you will be sorry to take that cruise. The ship is beautiful.

Edited by mexico8

LOL, I gotta quit researching! I went to Friendly Norwegian Cruisers on facebook and see these most recent comments on the spirit!

Ellen

3:06pm Jan 1 Sailed on the Spirit 3 weeks ago, kinda disappointed in service as well as food. Very odd for our 7th NCL cruise.

April

3:12pm Jan 1 We also had issues beginning of December, we had heard it was a whole new crew. Still had a great time, looked past the issues & book another. We've never had a bad cruise.

Ellen

3:31pm Jan 1 I finally met our cabin steward 3 days in. Within 24 hours of leaving Florida, we were given an extra 3 boxes of tissues because the ship was out of toilet paper. Great to rely on Mexico for TP. The food all had the consistency of bread. The ice cream was awful, mostly liquid, which doesn't work on a cone. We love the line. This was so off for them. I felt bad for first time cruisers.

Bill

6:46pm Jan 1 Oh man your scaring me! I am ready to book the Spirit kind of last min for 2/27 with a couple new cruisers

April

7:06pm Jan 1 We were with another couple, it was their 1st NCL cruise, we just looked past the issues, still had a wonderful time. First night waves real bad, a lot of folks were seasick. Most were troopers & pushed through. We luv NCL line & crew

Now I am back to square 1 not knowing what to do!

My first cruise was on the Spirit and I read all of those reviews AFTER booking, and was very nervous. It was a great week, we loved the ship, and we have cruised several times since. I love the Windows dining room and the atrium. Also the asian restaurant was very good. Would love to sail her again!

Please read our reviews and also pics under Eddeb.

Some folks just got out of their group homes to write reviews scaring people.

If you cannot have fun on a ship that has room service 24/7, hot wings in the Blue Lagoon

24/7, hot omeletes everyday, Lobsters at Shoguns, Great shows, Great Drinks, Great Reggae

Band, etc. You should just stay home and play bingo...

We saw "Boss" hog win $68,000 dollars in the poker tourney... not a bad cruise for him. :)

Please see our pics and review under Eddeb.

The sauna and steam room are free, also showers at the Spa at no charge.

The quest show is not to be missed, what fun.

We loved this ship, the crew, the CD Gio, our bartenders, waiters, steward and so on.

This is a little older ship with great character, 4 to 5 stars in my book, the Getaway

last year was a little crazy with that many folks onboard, had a great time but the "Vibe"

on a smaller ship is much better for us....

We are the "Moore's"

Tampa Bay

1892141932_SpiritHotTub.jpg.7772e0d445b32753631af4b342046a56.jpg