Is Disney worth the extra money? My answer (and photo review)

Cozy3701

Are there any shows outside of the pirate event?

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

On the deck stage? Sail Away is the only other one I can think of?

The Walt Disney Theater has 3 full Disney produced Broadway style shows.

Believe, Villains Tonight and The Golden Mickey's.

ex techie

I see you have a power strip... was there enough outlets in your room?

If the OP only had a power strip without a surge protector, then that is permitted.

Only surge protectors and power strips with surge protectors are not permissible.

Extension cords or surge protectors

There are two electrical sockets on the desk. And one either side of the bed under the side table.

ex techie

Awesome review! I've alternated between NCL and Disney only as of late and I do find Disney to be worth the price for the Disney experience. You kind of have to forget that they're both ships sailing to different ports, yes. That as aspect is the same. The rest of what you're paying for is pure "Disney."

We've gone back and forth between DCL and RCCL. Our DCL cruise next month may be our last. It's getting harder and harder to justify the extra cost. We're looking into giving the new Carnival ship - Vista - a try. I look at this way. Once we pick the week we want to vacation, we view what it would cost to sail on RCCL (or Carnival, since we're looking at that now) as sort of the base cost. Then from there, we would have to decide how much above that are we willing to go in order to sail with Disney. Let's say we (2A, 2C BTW) can sail RCCL or Carnival for $3000. We might be willing to go to $4000 or even $4200 or so for DCL. However, these days, Disney is usually in the $6000-$7000 range (for a similar room). Can we afford it? Yeah...but we can't really justify it.

I've been on Disney twice (and lots of other cruise lines, too) and I wouldn't pay double (or even close to that). Maybe a tad more for the convenience of the kid's club not closing for lunch or dinner and some of the character interactions. I cruised both the Fantasy and Magic for $1,100 per person in family oceanviews (seven days to Caribbean). I think that's about right in terms of cost. I now see those same cabins going for double or more - no way. I also love Princess (it has great kids clubs, too) for much less money.

• 1 month later...
Nice report. I've been looking at other lines and have pretty much come to the conclusion that I'd need a suite on other lines to give me what an ocean view cabin on DCL gives me. I would prefer anytime dining, though, also.

I think I'd prefer anytime dining as well. We had 2nd seating our sailing and it made me feel like we missed out on a ton of stuff at night. By the time we were done with dinner, the kids were done with life and ready for bed. This meant no out time for adults (granted most nights, I was also done with life and ready for sleep too :P)

We are sailing Haven on our NCL cruise next January and I'm really curious how it's going to measure up to our Fantasy concierge cruise. My friend and I said while we were on the Disney Fantasy that we were both setting ourselves up for disappointment when we compared the two ships and the services provided.

Long story short, I think I'm going to end up agreeing with you that Disney is so worth the $$$ with a few caveats. Great review/comparison!

for me, a Disney nut! but no small kids, it is better to save money with RCCL and then use the difference to do a Disney World or Land trip. Who wants to go on a cruise and stand in a long line for a character photo? The ones on our summer cruise were tooooo long. I did love the cruise but not for double the money especially for a shorter cruise.

We only sail with Disney when our daughter is with us. If it's just me and the wife sail sail other cruise lines because of the cost and we just want to be somewhere warm. And we like the adult entertainment other lines offer.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

I've been on Disney twice (and lots of other cruise lines, too) and I wouldn't pay double (or even close to that). Maybe a tad more for the convenience of the kid's club not closing for lunch or dinner and some of the character interactions. I cruised both the Fantasy and Magic for $1,100 per person in family oceanviews (seven days to Caribbean). I think that's about right in terms of cost. I now see those same cabins going for double or more - no way. I also love Princess (it has great kids clubs, too) for much less money.

This is largely where we are. We've loved our time on DCL. But this year I found that I could do essentially the same ports in a balcony cabin on Princess for half of what I'd booked an inside cabin on DCL for. Needless to say, I canceled the DCL. No, it isn't worth paying twice as much for an inside on DCL as for a balcony on Princess. There are things that DCL does better, but there are other things that Princess does better. We've cruised a total of 4 lines recently, and I can say the same thing about each of them.

I understand the concept of profit, and DCL will charge whatever the traffic will bear. I hope they find someone who wants to pay their rates for those cabins that we used to occupy. At these prices, it won't be us any more.

My issue is that I can sail in 2 balcony cabins (me and 3 kids, 2 people in each cabin, hubby does not like to cruise) for less than half of 1 cabin for 4 on dcl. It was a no brainier, we were in the ncl getaway, which had a ton of stuff for kids, and we got 2 balconies, 2 tvs, and 2 bathrooms. Dcl won't allow kids in their own cabin, even if next door, so it's hard for me to see the worth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk