Splendor Internet Package - what's your experience?

LeeloLovesStitch

Can someone who has been on Splendor recently please confirm they have the new internet package? If you used it (looking at the social media package), was it reliable? We will be on the second deck, interior cabin, forward. Did you experience any dead spots? What apps were you able to use?

Sorry if this is a little redundant - I know I have seen quite a bit of info about the internet packages on here, but wanted to confirm specifically for Splendor and get someone's experience using it. We leave on 1/17 and my sister will be taking care of my dog (my baby!!), who has been having a lot of bad side effects from epilepsy medication and I want to make sure we are able to get hold of each other easily. I am thinking of getting the social media package and use FB messenger as our primary means of communication; I do recognize that will not work off the ship, so I am trying to figure out a plan for that, as well.

Thanks so much in advance!!

We were on the Splendor at the end of October. Our cruise was to Bermuda. We had the middle Value package. We could access social media, email, and Internet sites. We could not do streaming or Skype. Wee had a balcony cabin on deck 7 and were approximately 3 cabins behind the bridge. Our reception was spotty. Sometimes we were disconnected while using it and other times we were unable to log in. Other times we could get on but the speed was very slow. We only tried using it in our room until the day we were leaving the ship. We waited in the MDR to be called off the ship and when I used it there the speed was excellent. I think maybe we should have tried different locations instead of just our cabin.

In January we had the same package on the Freedom. We were on Deck 4 in an interior room. In that room our speed was good and we never had any problems with getting bumped off the Internet or not being able to connect. I wonder if the location of the cabin is a factor. Also I wonder if more people were using it in October than in January as the program was pretty new in January.

If you get the social media package, you can communicate by using Facebook messenger or I messaging or snapchat while on the ship. You can also use those if you get the Value package.

Edited by Crusin5252

I was also on the Bermuda cruise, in a spa balcony, port side. We just had the social package. Don't recall having any connectivity issues.

I've had the package three times now (Freedom, Splendor, Sunshine). There may be spots on the ship where you'll drop off, but it's simple enough to just log back in.

Haven't had any problems at all uploading photos to FB. I didn't post a bunch, but on Sunshine, with our 8 ports, I uploaded one every day of wherever we were. Just to rub it in that I was visiting so many beautiful islands. ;)

Did not have the Hub when we sailed. Don't know what the schedule is. Had it on Sunshine (did not use the chat), and liked being able to look at the daily activities.

I am on the same sailing and it does have the social package but not the hub. But for me I don't need the hub but look forward to the social package for checking on my dogs as well. When we get to grand Turks you can also get free wi-fi at places there, same with San Juan and at Maarten so you should be able to check in daily with the social package and free island wi-fi's.

Thank you all so much for your insights! I really appreciate it.

I'm still nervous about leaving him, but of course, this trip was planned and paid for months ago by my boyfriend's parents. My sister said she is fine to take care of him, and I know she'll take good care of him - I'm just worried how stressful it will be for her.

Thanks!!

I just got home from the Splendor (was on the 1-3 sailing). I purchased the Social media package for $25 for the entirety of the cruise. I used Facebook Messenger to keep in touch with home, just as you're planning to do. It worked great! I posted pics to FB daily with no problems and speed wasn't an issue. For $25, its well worth it and works great if you want to stay in touch with someone using FB Messenger. Enjoy your cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks, thanks for all your feedback! We just got back from our wonderful cruise and wanted to leave my input for anyone that can benefit:

Purchased the social media package: $25 for a 7 day cruise. Gives access to facebook (and FB messenger), instagram, pinterest, and a few other social apps - sorry I've forgotten already - I only use facebook. You also get access to most airline websites - this was VERY helpful.

We were on deck 2 at the verrrrrrry front of the ship (felt that ocean a lot....) and service was generally pretty good there. The messages with my sister were always instant, but pictures were sometimes slow to load and logging on to southwest.com was very slow (same everywhere on ship, not just in our room).

A nice bonus was when we were in grand turk, we still have wifi access from the ship while sitting on the beach!

It was very easy to log on and get access. You can also allow other people access on their device (or if you have multiple devices), but only one can be logged in at a time.

I am on the same sailing and it does have the social package but not the hub. But for me I don't need the hub but look forward to the social package for checking on my dogs as well. When we get to grand Turks you can also get free wi-fi at places there, same with San Juan and at Maarten so you should be able to check in daily with the social package and free island wi-fi's.

Can you tell me where the free wifi is in San Juan and Turks and Caicos?

Can you tell me where the free wifi is in San Juan and Turks and Caicos?

I just got back from this cruise. There appears to be wifi in the shopping area at port at Grand Turks. I seen the wifi signal on my phone, but never connected as I bought the social media package on the ship. I also seen the wifi signal in a local shopping area not too far from the ship, but again, same story, never connected to check signal.

The package worked fine for me while on the ship, usually 2 out of 3 bars from mid-ship forward, but the farther aft I was the less it seemed to want to work. Was perfect to keep in touch with my sister-in-law who was watching our children.

There was also wifi on Paradise Point at the restaurant there in St. Thomas. I was able to call my kids from facebook messenger through wifi and see them via "facetime" Pretty cool. Got to see the sunset up there because of the Gladys Knight concert since we didn't leave until 11 PM.

I just got back from the Splendor (I think the above poster was on my cruise with me, I was the crazy one with a long island iced tea in her hand with the crazy latina friend lol) - I was on Deck 1 in the very very back and I could always connect beautifully.