New'ish to Cruising - Holland America on MS Zaandam next? Advice please!

marchie1053

Dakrewser answers your concerns the very best and to the point without a lot of rambling. Enjoy your cruise on the Zaandam. She is my favourite Hal ship. I love the interior decor since it is very much like my home. I would definitely get an outside room with a window. Balconies are very pricey on this ship. I did the Balmoral in 1989 when it was the Crown Odyssey. Loved the ship.

Thanks, Solo

The advice and tips from everyone has been really helpful and we really want to make the cruise. just a question of whether the building works can be completed in time, bearing in mind that I'm still uncovering the full extent of the problems - interesting times!

Steve & Elaine

I'll 2nd this - it was one of the two great excursions on our Antarctic cruise (the other being another penguin colony!).

Hi Dakrewser

Thanks for your advice. Elaine has spotted the December 2016 cruise (28 days including the Antarctic) so if the Feb voyage has to go by the board, we'll have a fallback holiday to look forward to ;)

We're booked to visit eastern coast of Canada in late August, sailing from Western Scotland so we will definitely be on a ship again during 2016!

Steve & Elaine

If this cruise goes to the Falklands, the expensive and arduous 4 Wheel drive out to see the King Penguin colony is well worth it. It is not for the faint of heart and you have to hold on tight as you bounce free-style across the rough terrain but the penguin experience is up close, personal and highly memorable.

I would trade the extra cost of a balcony cabin for not missing this shorex, if it comes down to that. But you do have to be willing to get bounced around in the 4X4 ... a lot. Others can offer their perspectives about this trip, but most come back very happy they did it.

Hi OlsSalt

The Penguin excursion sounds really good - we did the visit to the Simonstown colony in South Africa in 2007 and loved the 'Penguin Crossing' (so much nicer than a common or garden Zebra Crossing!) road sign and the warning sign to check under the car before driving away to avoid 'Flat Penguin Syndrome'!

Steve & Elaine

We booked, today, the 21 Feb. Buenos Aires to Valparaiso cruise. This will be my first cruise. Can't wait!

You picked a good one. Enjoy. You are traversing a very historic route as well. Just think when everyone had to go around the Horn and in far less comfortable accommodations, and they lived to tell about it and settle the world. That was always in the back of our minds as we felt so snug, safe and pampered on the lovely Zaandam. Agree, it is one of our favorite too if not our very favorite ship.

Edited by OlsSalt